New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Skin tones on African Americans

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Skin tones on African Americans

I shot a senior tonight mostly in shade with both flash and natural light. As I have gone through his images, I noticed that while the white balance for his shirt and pants and the background is perfect using the cloudy preset (my preference to shade), his skin is too orange.

I tried to selectively tone down his skin temp, but just couldn't get it right. What I found worked was some slight desating of the oranges. Of course that hurts my backgrounds a bit, but really worked on the skin tone.

Out of curiosity, what causes this overly orange color on AA skin? This isn't the first time I have run into it, but was definitely the first time I noticed it and it really bothered me.

Oct 20, 2017 at 03:42 AM
GoodEgg
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Skin tones on African Americans

It doesn't sound like you're using selective/local color cast correction. What is your editor? Shooting JPG? Post a sample.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:26 PM
MrGubrz

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Skin tones on African Americans

this might be of interest to you, so you don't feel alone in thinking "wait... this is different, right?!"
https://petapixel.com/2017/09/14/look-hbos-insecure-lights-black-actors/

Oct 28, 2017 at 04:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tcp2525

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Skin tones on African Americans

MrGubrz wrote:
this might be of interest to you, so you don't feel alone in thinking "wait... this is different, right?!"

I think it is more about the "shine" of the skin that creates the problem. Using makeup that diminishes the reflective nature of the skin helps so much.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:07 PM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Skin tones on African Americans

MrGubrz wrote:

I think this is interesting definitely but maybe not helpful here. Insecure is shot with a huge crew that can sculpt the light exactly how they want. They do an amazing job but maybe not so applicable to a photographer shooting an event.

My thinking on this is get the skin tone right before anything else. You mentioned that desaturating messed up the backgrounds a bit but I wouldn't worry about that if there's no better option.

Nov 13, 2017 at 02:37 PM
elianahermione

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Skin tones on African Americans

I have experienced his pictures I saw that while the white adjust for his shirt and pants and the foundation is immaculate utilizing the overcast preset my inclination to shade his skin is excessively orange took a stab at making it Do my Essay for me impossible to specifically tone down his skin temp yet just couldn't take care of business. What I discovered worked was some slight desating of the oranges obviously that damages my experiences a bit however truly dealt with the skin tone.

Nov 18, 2017 at 06:38 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password