Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

sphaero126

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

Hello,
I am currently using a Davis and Sanford Voyager Lite tripod for my jungle/rainforest trips. Its a cheap tripod, but since I use it so infrequently, I wasn't concerned.

I have anther trip coming up in January, so I was playing around with the camera. I noticed that with my camera setup (Canon Rebel T5 w/ 100mm non L macro lens), as soon as I tighten the ball clamp, and release, the camera drops just slightly enough that the picture is out of frame.

So my question is should I keep the same tripod, but invest in a better head, such as the Sirui K-20X, or is it better to just get a new tripod such as the Sirui T-024x? If I went the new tripod route, I wouldn't want to spend more than $200 (which I know is not a giant budget for a tripod).

I would like a travel tripod that when I tighten the ball clamp, the camera stays where it should be.

Oct 19, 2017 at 05:22 PM
sphaero126

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

Anyone have any advice?

Oct 21, 2017 at 03:08 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

Such a light setup should be no problem. Try this review. If you buy better now you will have it later when you add larger, heavier gear. A good head is forever. However, some really cheap ones last and last. Since you use a tripod only infrequently this review should fit you well.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/06/03/seven-of-the-best-tripod-ball-heads-for-any-budget

Oct 21, 2017 at 04:23 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

The head you currently own would probably not droop, if you used the tripod mount ring on the lens.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:24 AM
Bobarino

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

jcolwell wrote:
The head you currently own would probably not droop, if you used the tripod mount ring on the lens.

This^^^^^

As jcolwell points out, you'll have no droop with a better balanced set-up.

If you're mounting your 100mm lens on your T5, and using only the camera-body screw-mount to fasten it to the tripod,,, you're most likely supporting the weight of your lens with your left hand while framing, then locking the ball-knob. Of course, when you let go of the lens and you're no longer supporting that out-of-balance weight, the set-up will droop slightly before locking into position. Balancing the load with a longer lens-plate should eliminate the problem. If the lens has a foot, or a tripod mount ring,,, use it, and you'll be fine.

Oct 22, 2017 at 02:41 AM
sphaero126

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

My lens does not have a tripod collar. The only ones I can find online are for the L version. However, that collar looks like it would be annoying to have on a neck strap constantly banging against your body? Or do you only put it on before using the tripod?

I think I would prefer a stronger head, if that would also be a viable option since the Canon collars (at least for the L version) are more money than the tripod head.

Oct 22, 2017 at 03:19 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

sphaero126 wrote:
My lens does not have a tripod collar. The only ones I can find online are for the L version...

The EF 100/2.8 USM Macro does have an optional tripod mount ring. The older, non-USM Macro does not.

EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
- http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/ef357.html

EF100mm f/2.8 Macro
- http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/ef289.html

The EF 100/2.8 USM Macro uses the Canon tripod mount ring B(W) or B(B) (white/black), and it requires a plastic adapter sleeve that fits between the ring and lens. The three small slots or detents in the lens ring with the 100mm label (near the mount) hold this adapter sleeve in place, before attaching the ring. You can easily attach and remove the tripod mount ring from the lens, when the lens is off the camera. This adapter sleeve is Canon part number YG2 - 0500. It is not an accessory, and so you would order it from Canon Service, or a third party repair shop that deals with Canon. It is not available through the usual retail shops.

P.S. The current B&H listing for B(B) tripod mount ring notes that it is used with these lenses...

MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM

...and does not mention the adapter sleeve. I would be surprised if the adapter sleeve is included, and the ring can't be used without it (barring gaffers and duct tapes). Canon tripod mount ring B(W) is used with the EF 300/4L is and 100-400L IS (Mk I)

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:26 AM
Dale Kirchhofe
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

Good advice above. Another option would be to rent a ball head to get a feel for what is needed for your set-up. Lens Rental has some for rent. Most camera stores will usually let you test it in store, take your rig to a local shop and see what works.

Oct 22, 2017 at 09:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sphaero126

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

I am lucky that I work a few blocks away from B&H, so testing a particular ballhead is no problem. Now I have a lot to think about...tripod collar or new head. New head also seems tempting since I can use it with a peak design capture which I was considering. I appreciate the advice.

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:05 PM
Bobarino

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

Get both

Once you've worked with a quality head that has good friction-control, you won't look back.

That said, you can probably solve most of your present issues simply by mounting a longer mounting-plate to the base of your camera. Lock the head and loosen the clamp,,,,,mount the cameras' base-plate onto the ball-head clamp, and slide it fore and aft until the camera and lens are reasonably well balanced, then lock the clamp. Unlock the ball, and frame your shot. Lock the ball and you should experience no movement.

Again, a good friction control, properly used, REALLY helps.(hint; Gitzo GH-3382QD) Gitzo also has the smaller sibling GH-1382QD which has friction-control. The smallest head in that series, the GH-1382"T"QD,,, does not have friction-control.

Bring your lens and camera, along with your tripod and head, when you go to B&H. You'll want to ensure that the plate fits your ball-head clamp.

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:00 PM
Venky
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

Try FLM 43FTR or 48 FTR ballhead.

Oct 25, 2017 at 04:24 AM
Venky
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

Try FLM 43FTR or 48 FTR ballhead.

Oct 25, 2017 at 04:24 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

You won't find it at B&H but you should check out Acratech GPS ball heads. Very light and rock solid.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:40 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

BH has most of the Acratech heads in stock, including the GP-s.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=140&fct=fct_brand_name%7cacratech

Arggh. You will have to copy the URL to a new browser window as FM does a redirect (not a direct link) to BH that screws up the BH search filter.

EBH

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:29 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Travel Tripod - ball head creep?

That is good news. I did not know B&H carried Acratech. I was just there a month ago and did not see any. They do now carry RRS but I must say there is no love for display space. More space for inexpensive Ruggard camera bags than RRS and no discernible space for Acratech.

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:42 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password