New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A bit of an abstract...

pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A bit of an abstract...

From this morning. There was a nice sunrise and I saw this. What do you think?
The raw file can be found here: https://app.box.com/s/laeobr414fgp5tnwb5sk75mn7ob6z1z8

I've also included what I did to process the RAW file into the JPEG.

Regards.....Pete

Through the corn.

Oct 19, 2017 at 09:12 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A bit of an abstract...

Nicely done.

As a fellow 6D2 shooter (Dave is too) I'd love to see the sooc / raw for comparison regarding where the file started.

The one thing I might suggest (or not) is to remove the cool / blue hue that the skyward facing leaves are reflecting. That would give it a more homogeneous warm color palette. OTOH, having the leaves of diff color may provide some additional interest that gets lost via homogeneous toning. Just a "play & see" kinda thing.

On a technical note, my (limited so far) experience with the 6D2 seems to be that it's tonality (incremental between steps) holds up really well when massaged a bit. The bashing that the 6D2 has received for it's "endpoints" of maximum DR being limited, continues to strike me as not a major issue as its tonality seems up to the task rather well.

-100 Highlights
+100 Blacks
+69 Shadows
etc.

That's quite a push, yet it looks pretty good from here.

Oct 19, 2017 at 09:35 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A bit of an abstract...

Hi Kent, thanks for the comments.

I included a link to the raw file if you want to look at SOOC, or do you want the companion JPEG, as I do RAW + Medium Fine JPEG. Picture Style is Neutral

I agree about pushing the Shadows/Blacks, it doesn't look bad at all, but as one person said, viewing on the web doesn't count.

And I don't plan on printing this billboard size and looking at it from 3 inches away, but now I'm just being snarky.

So far I'm liking this 6DII, for what I shoot, I haven't run into anything that resembles the DR issue that all the complaints were about. It works for me.

Regards.....Pete

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A bit of an abstract...

Kent, I took out the blue from the Saturation and Luminance -100 on both. Is that what you meant?

Edited to add JPEG SOOC

JPEG SOOC Picture Style Neutral

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A bit of an abstract...

Yes on both counts (cool hue reduction) & jpeg sooc (thanks).

Although, rather than a straight desat of the blue (which then leaves it gray), it probably should be a hue shift to a warmer hue, so it looks more yellow / orange palette than cyan / blue.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:31 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A bit of an abstract...

Very pleasing shot! Good eye.
I never see shots like this, for lack of vision I suspect.

+1 @ the impressive push on this one. If you didn't include the 1:1 sharpening screen grab I would not have noticed the funky processing edges. It doesn't show on the full size image at all.

I wouldn't have noticed the leaf color issue that Kent picked up on but I like his direction to correct it.

Dave

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:38 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A bit of an abstract...

OK, one more crack at it, I reduced blue Saturation and Luminance by 20 and increased orange and yellow Hue by 20.

I honestly cannot see much of a difference, maybe you can.

Oct 19, 2017 at 01:53 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A bit of an abstract...

lighthound wrote:
Very pleasing shot! Good eye.
I never see shots like this, for lack of vision I suspect.

+1 @ the impressive push on this one. If you didn't include the 1:1 sharpening screen grab I would not have noticed the funky processing edges. It doesn't show on the full size image at all.

I wouldn't have noticed the leaf color issue that Kent picked up on but I like his direction to correct it.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I don't have much of an eye for this kind of shot either. I just stumbled upon it this morning.

I find it amazing with the difference between the SOOC and the details that can be pulled out. I know it's not 3 stops of pushing, but what it did is still pretty impressive, especially for a POJ camera.

Regards.....Pete

Oct 19, 2017 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.