FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

charlyw wrote:
I think that CO applied too much sharpening, the halos are quite visible around the whiskers. LR looks a little more muddled but no discernible halos (at least not to the extent of CO)...

I would get the Luminar Neptune demo, install it as a plugin to PS and first apply about 50% of the lightest noise reduction in Luminar followed by a filter set comprised of detail enhancer and sharpening and adjust die small and medium detail to taste followed by a very slight sharpening.

Well I did that as I have total control over sharpening using Capture. I can easily match LR's sharpening using Capture and set it as a favourite.

Edited on Oct 20, 2017 at 12:26 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:23 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

charlyw wrote:
I think that CO applied too much sharpening, the halos are quite visible around the whiskers. LR looks a little more muddled but no discernible halos (at least not to the extent of CO)...

I would get the Luminar Neptune demo, install it as a plugin to PS and first apply about 50% of the lightest noise reduction in Luminar followed by a filter set comprised of detail enhancer and sharpening and adjust die small and medium detail to taste followed by a very slight sharpening.

I already tried Luminar.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

Zenon Char wrote:
I already tried Luminar.

Try it as a plugin complementing PS, it dies better than anything else I tried for noise reduction and detail extraction...

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:53 PM
CorsairVelo

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

charlyw wrote:

I don't understand the "applied too much sharpening" comment. Obviously you can reduce the amount applied, no?

Oct 21, 2017 at 07:25 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

CorsairVelo wrote:
I don't understand the "applied too much sharpening" comment. Obviously you can reduce the amount applied, no?

That is exactly what happened. There were defaults settings and I pushed them more just to experiment and backed off later. Like I said C1Pro has a sharpening stage between capture and export. I watched a bit of video on it last night but was tired. Their sharpening tutorial s 52 minutes.

Oct 21, 2017 at 08:08 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

MayaTlab wrote:
Threshold in C1 doesn't work exactly like masking in LR. Since C1 doesn't have sharpening helps (like you have with LR when pressing the ALT key) I don't exactly know how C1's threshold algorithm works, but it's different. I think that the goal that it wants to achieve is the same, but personally I've found LR's masking more effective (if only because of the help tool).

Where in C1 or where can I send email requesting for this feature on the next C1 update.?

Nov 13, 2017 at 01:08 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

bushwacker wrote:
Where in C1 or where can I send email requesting for this feature on the next C1 update.?

You can sign in (or make a profile) on Phase One's website (www.phaseone.com) and open a support case stating you've got a feature request. They typically assess the number of requests for any given feature before devoting their resources, or so I'm told.

Nov 13, 2017 at 01:50 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

Also, remember that you can multiply many tool effects by adding the tools you want to the Local Adjustments tab and then applying them in layers. For example, if you want more highlight suppression than is possible in the Adjustments tab, just add the "HDR" tools to Local Adjustments, and create one or more layers as needed to get the amount of adjustment you want. Same for a lot of tools. Check C1 documentation for the list of tools that work as local adjustments.

Nov 13, 2017 at 02:14 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

Emile Gregoire wrote:
You can sign in (or make a profile) on Phase One's website (www.phaseone.com) and open a support case stating you've got a feature request. They typically assess the number of requests for any given feature before devoting their resources, or so I'm told.

Thx man, do u guys like this feature too? And I will be adding more to it making better than LR’s

Nov 14, 2017 at 08:03 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

charlyw wrote:
Then factor in the $99.00 that are necessary about each year to update... Or simply go the subscription route for CO, it's only $15/month...

So, just for fun, and assuming that one intends to run current versions of software...

Over five years, assuming that pricing remains the same on both platforms ($9.99/month for Adobe and $299 purchase + $99/year upgrades for C1.) (NB: If anyone wants to argue that the price could change, that is equally true of both options, so let's leave it out of the equation for now.)

- - -

Adobe Lightroom + Photoshop

$9.99/month X 60 months = $599.40

- - -

Capture One

$299 purchase = (4 x $99) upgrades = $695

- - -

Let's say you only upgrade Capture One every other year:

$299 + (2x$99) = $497

- - -

This excludes the following "costs."

- the time to learn a new application

- any time required for file conversion or reworking

- any functional costs of going longer between updates.

- One application (C1) versus suite (LR, PS, ACR, Bridge)

Choose your poison. ;-)

Dan

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:24 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

gdanmitchell wrote:
So, just for fun, and assuming that one intends to run current versions of software...

Over five years, assuming that pricing remains the same on both platforms ($9.99/month for Adobe and $299 purchase + $99/year upgrades for C1.) (NB: If anyone wants to argue that the price could change, that is equally true of both options, so let's leave it out of the equation for now.)

- - -

Adobe Lightroom + Photoshop

$9.99/month X 60 months = $599.40

- - -

Capture One

$299 purchase = (4 x $99) upgrades = $695

- - -

Let's say you only upgrade Capture One every other year:

$299 +
...Show more

Plus one other significant benefit of purchasing a perpetual license... you as the end user can decide before you reward the the developer with your hard earned cash if the app or upgrade has value instead of blindly accepting whatever is offered ... also, the end user determines the last date of use for the product and/or the date they choose to upgrade ... not by a hard and fast date set by the developer. That aspect holds value as well.

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:55 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

butchM wrote:
Plus one other significant benefit of purchasing a perpetual license... you as the end user can decide before you reward the the developer with your hard earned cash if the app or upgrade has value instead of blindly accepting whatever is offered ... also, the end user determines the last date of use for the product and/or the date they choose to upgrade ... not by a hard and fast date set by the developer. That aspect holds value as well.

It seems to me the big difference is that if one doesn't purchase the next On1/Dxo/whatever upgrade....they still have FULL use of the s/w they have purchased. Whereas Adobe will "pull the plug" on the develop module leaving you without that capability in the future!

That's a HUGE difference!

Edited on Nov 14, 2017 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2017 at 01:07 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

Yeah, let's turn this thread into yet another subscription vs perpetual one. Great idea.

Not.

Nov 14, 2017 at 01:47 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

butlerkid wrote:
It seems to me the big difference is that is one doesn't purchase the next On1/Dxo/whatever upgrade....they still have FULL use of the s/w they have purchased.

Or the purchased version decides to not like the next version of your operating system and ceases to function altogether (a good example are Luminar and CO which both required maintenance releases to work on the latest operating system releases) and because of the moronic stance of “not rewarding the developer for his work” you may have driven the developer out of business... Then you are truly screwed, your knowledge has just gone with with wind, your previous developments are no longer available and you need to find a replacement. Sorry but face it, either be prepared to “reward the developer for his work” in purchasing the updates or risk truly losing access to your photos!

I am working as software developer in a medium sized software development company and our sales model is initial sale and then a service agreement to give our customers access to updates. Most of our customers even require this kind of contract of us - because they get it that they need the updates when business processes depend on our software! And that is just what image editing is to a photographer - professional or not. And yet you guys are throwing a major wobble about the cost of a roll of 36 exposure consumer film, a couple of cups at starbucks or a pack of cigarettes...

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:16 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

charlyw wrote:
Or the purchased version decides to not like the next version of your operating system and ceases to function altogether (a good example are Luminar and CO which both required maintenance releases to work on the latest operating system releases) and because of the moronic stance of “not rewarding the developer for his work” you may have driven the developer out of business... Then you are truly screwed, your knowledge has just gone with with wind, your previous developments are no longer available and you need to find a replacement. Sorry but face it, either be prepared to “reward the
...Show more

But the Consumer decides whether or not to update the operating system. Sorry....not a valid argument IMHO.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:32 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

I normally use third party plugins for sharpening, such as NIK's Sharpener Pro or Topaz's Detail, which I really like.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:46 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

butlerkid wrote:
But the Consumer decides whether or not to update the operating system. Sorry....not a valid argument IMHO.

Sorry that may have been true in the times before the internet. You seem to be quite stuck in the 1990’s - today Windows is basically a moving target with minor updates that may and do break functionality on a monthly basis and big updates between 6 and 12 months apart. And you better stay current on MacOS too because a lot of securuty fixes only make it into new versions. One of the failures I cited was on Windows, the other on MacOS High Sierra. I am working with data where confidentiality and data protection are imperative and all admins worth a dime are staying as current as they dare - coming to us to ask for confirmation that our software operates on current OS. So my argument is from a working professional who knows the software development side of things - and I can tell you you couldn’t be more stuck in the past! Maybe it’s time for you to go with the time or get left behind, you are already bringing up the rear...

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:40 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

charlyw wrote:
Sorry that may have been true in the times before the internet. You seem to be quite stuck in the 1990’s - today Windows is basically a moving target with minor updates that may and do break functionality on a monthly basis and big updates between 6 and 12 months apart. And you better stay current on MacOS too because a lot of securuty fixes only make it into new versions. One of the failures I cited was on Windows, the other on MacOS High Sierra. I am working with data where confidentiality and data protection are imperative and all
...Show more

Personal accusations or bragging about yourself will not strengthen your position.

Each person has different needs and I don't believe on a one size fits all. Your environment is very different from mine (even though you never bothered to understand mine). I make decisions based on MY environment....and I never said that what is right for me is right for you or anyone else.

Nov 14, 2017 at 05:38 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

charlyw wrote:
...it’s time for you to go with the time or get left behind, you are already bringing up the rear...

Have you bought your iPhone X for $1,000 already as Apple told you, or are you falling behind? Why do you think that consumers are left behind just because they don't jump on every hype that a marketing division comes up with?

charlyw wrote:
So my argument is from a working professional who knows the software development side of things...

Two weeks ago you told us that you "...have been around when mainframes were still programmed using punch cards", and you are still working? How old are you? 100?

-Phil

Nov 14, 2017 at 05:50 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

PhilPDX wrote:
Have you bought your iPhone X for $1,000 already as Apple told you, or are you falling behind? Why do you think that consumers are left behind just because they don't jump on every hype that a marketing division comes up with?

Two weeks ago you told us that you "...have been around when mainframes were still programmed using punch cards", and you are still working? How old are you? 100?

-Phil

I used punch cards on mainframes back in the 70’s and was lucky enough to retire a couple years ago quite a bit sooner than the norm.

Nov 14, 2017 at 05:57 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.