Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Bryce, Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley in Late Novemb...

sotelophoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bryce, Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley in Late November - Advice

Wife and I will be doing a road trip in late November. Our plan is to hit Bryce Canyon then head over to Page to see Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend. From there we will head to Monument Valley. Plan is to stay a couple days at each place. We will be in a small RV.

This trip's primary goal is photography. My wife doesn't shoot but will tag along with me. I've done quite a bit of research for each location but wanted to see what you all have to say about some specifics, especially in late November. Much of the information available are from visits during the summer.

1. We plan to be in each place for at least one sunrise and sunset. Any specific spots that are a must to photograph for each?
  2. As I understand, the light beams don't happen this time of year at Antelope. Is this correct?
  3. Should I do Lower canyon, Upper canyon or both?
  4. Are there any recommendation for campgrounds in Bryce or Page?
  5. Any recommended Tour Guides for Monument Valley?
  6. Any other information you guys think will be helpful?

Thanks all. Really appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Alex

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:11 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bryce, Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley in Late November - Advice

It will be COLD at Bryce. Hope your rv handles COLD better than mine.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:13 PM
sotelophoto

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bryce, Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley in Late November - Advice

That's my biggest concern. My wife doesn't like the cold and I want her to enjoy herself.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:58 PM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bryce, Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley in Late November - Advice

sotelophoto wrote:
That's my biggest concern. My wife doesn't like the cold and I want her to enjoy herself.

Going at this time of year might be a crap shoot as far as weather. You are looking to visit places at higher elevation, with the almost certainty of cold to very cold weather, and the real chance of some snow.

Tough time of year to plan a trip to these places. Perhaps there are some other more weather friendly places that might interest you. I would at least explore that as a plan B option, should you need to change your destination shortly before the trip.

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:57 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bryce, Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley in Late November - Advice

Bryce is at 9000 feet - will be cold. We are at around 5K here in SLC, and it is getting to the upper 30s at night now

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bryce, Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley in Late November - Advice

Did someone mention that Bryce gets a tad chilly in the winter?
A low of 10F is typical.
https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliGCStT.pl?ut1006

Climate data for hundreds of other locations at https://wrcc.dri.edu/coopmap/

Kodachrome Basin S.P. is lower and warmer than Bryce, and offers excellent RV / Tent camping accommodations with plenty of worthy scenery. If road conditions and your RV's dirt-road capability allow, explore Cottonwood Canyon Rd to the south. Grosvenor Arch and Round Valley Draw hike (a very cool slot) are not far. The GSENM station in Cannonville will have road info.

Between Kanab and Page:

Rimrock / Toadstool Hoodoos are worth a visit.

White House Rd. area has some nice rock formations.

Cat Stair Canyon has pretty rocks and petroglyphs.

Rock formations about 1 mile west of the dam.

Waterholes Canyon. A much less crowded, if less spectacular, alternative to fighting the Antelope hordes.

If you're going to visit Horseshoe, aim for sunrise / sunset, and leave time to explore a ways along the rim, getting you away from the crowded, shot-to-death area the tourons gravitate toward.

Oct 20, 2017 at 05:03 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bryce, Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley in Late November - Advice

Snow is nice at Brice Canyon and Monument Valley. However, I've left the RV in Kanab and driven to Bryce in the toad as a day trip. I would not drive my RV on Cottonwood Canyon Road, but would drive the toad. If your wife doessn't like cold, why put her through it?

Page and Kanab can also be cold, but not as bad as farther north or higher elevation. Lots more to do around there, if you have a 4WD vehicle. Roads wet with snow are not advisable in any case.

Sedona is usually milder and lots of scenery, hikes, etc.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:34 PM
DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bryce, Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley in Late November - Advice

You didn't ask about hotels, but if you want a warm place to stay in Bryce, the Best Western Grand is a wonderful hotel. I'd love to go in winter one of these days and catch snow on everything. I'm not a fan of the cold, but some things are worth it.

Oct 23, 2017 at 02:08 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bryce, Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley in Late November - Advice

Fill up the propane tanks, and head out. Adjust your plan according to the weather conditions. Take a jacket.

Oct 23, 2017 at 02:13 AM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bryce, Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley in Late November - Advice

Also... the asphalt walking trails to the Bryce Canyon viewpoints around the canyon rim can ice up and become very slippery. Be sure to get ice-walking crampons if you don't want to go skating after a freeze.... my lug-sole hiking boots didn't have the traction I needed on the iced trails.

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:39 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password