New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · My first astrophotography and lightroom experience

imsurokim
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My first astrophotography and lightroom experience

Hello all,

It's first time I am posting pictures or any topic here. I just received Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens and took a milky way picture. Well.. It didn't capture milky way all the way, but that was my intention. How does it look to you guys. I posted both raw and post-processed picture. Can you guys give me an advice so I can improve on my picturing and post-processing skills?
I wasn't able to figure out way to get clear house with light on and get stars together that's why I increased aperature to f/10, so have clear shot for house with light.

D750 + Samyang 14mm f2.8 @ f10.0, 30s ISO 1600

Raw:
IMG_8910 by Suro Kim, on Flickr
Post-processed:
IMG_8911 by Suro Kim, on Flickr

Thanks in advance,

Edited on Oct 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2017 at 03:04 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My first astrophotography and lightroom experience

Welcome to the PC forum on FM!

It's better if you could post the images rather than links. Many of the regulars, myself included, here won't click on links and you'll get better feedback if you could post the images.

I found this thread for you. I think it explains how to post images from Flickr here on FM.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1369568

Hope this helps.

Dave

Oct 19, 2017 at 08:49 AM
imsurokim
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My first astrophotography and lightroom experience

lighthound wrote:
Welcome to the PC forum on FM!

It's better if you could post the images rather than links. Many of the regulars, myself included, here won't click on links and you'll get better feedback if you could post the images.

I found this thread for you. I think it explains how to post images from Flickr here on FM.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1369568

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thank you so much for letting me know. Just tried it and it works!!. Hopefully more people can comment on my first post now.

Thanks a lot for help.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:03 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My first astrophotography and lightroom experience

There ya go! Thanks for going through that and posting the images.

First thing I notice and my eyes are drawn to are the garage lights. We are programmed as a species to look toward brighter objects so leaving those lights on definitely wasn't helping you any with your intended goal of the MW.

For nice MW shots you need the darkest night sky possible. Any distant city even miles away can have a negative effect on your final image.

Considering what you were up against, I'm impressed with your edit. You pulled out a little MW in there which I would have never have thought you could have done with such bright FG light.

I'm guessing you were just chomping at the bit to get out there and try your new lens so I understand and I have done the same thing many times.

I'd like to see what you could bring home and share with us here when you can get into a darker area and put that new lens to work. I suspect you are going to be blown away with what you see on your screen after uploading them. I have the same lens that I purchased for the same reason and it does an amazing job.

I look forward to seeing more of your work! This is a great place to learn so don't be shy.

Edit: As to how to nail both the house and the MW, you would need to take at least two properly exposed and focused images for each then blend them together. Unfortunately that's beyond what LR can do and requires a little skill in PS or similar software to do a nice job.

Dave

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:19 PM
imsurokim
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My first astrophotography and lightroom experience

Thanks for kind reply Dave!

I was hoping to get both house and milky way. Actually that house is my neighbour so I wasn't able to turn the light off. I noticed with house lights on, if I expose too long, I get another three marks on the top of the screen(flare I guess).

With lightroom, I tried to keep house as dark as possible and bring milky way up. Next time, I will try to get two pictures one with house and the other with milky way and blend them together. It seems like this forum, I will learn a lot about photography itself and also the post-processing too. I will post my works time to time.

Thank you.

Suro

Oct 19, 2017 at 02:22 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.