Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Locked on target-Goalie

mikekeating
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Locked on target-Goalie

Was shooting my son's JV Soccer Game the other day and normally just shot him. Of course he has to play right back, which given the areas I can shoot from make that the hardest position to cover . While I did not get any great shot of Zach, I was able to grab this one of the keeper.

Locked on Target

This was about the clearest shot I was able to get of my son

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:26 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Locked on target-Goalie

My daughter played left back.
Some of the best shots I got of her was from behind the goal line as she was battling the oncoming forward.

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:32 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Locked on target-Goalie

+1 for that position and getting good defender shots. You have to be patient and wait for the right circumstances i.e. engaging on coming forwards.

Oct 19, 2017 at 09:07 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Locked on target-Goalie

Very good shots. Nice to get good shots of the other players especially if you can share them with the players and parents. I was able to get permission to move along the sidelines one year as the appointed team photographer. Perhaps you can talk to the coach? Not sure if such better positioning is allowed in your league. Still, I think it is always about timing, patience, anticipation which is why I love sports photography. Kind of puts me in the mind of the athlete or so I like to think.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:49 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Locked on target-Goalie

The coach is pretty cool and a friend of mine and he is OK with me taking shots (I do some work for him, the boosters and the other parents). They just don't like me behind their goalie, so makes the ideal position hard. I get their reasoning and I am trying to be respectful. The good news is that they play their outside backs aggressively so I can get some "offensive" shots.

The other problem is that he can do a California Throw. He launched one last night almost 50 yards. And his normal throws are around 30 yards consistently. Once coaches see this they keep the ball away from his side of the field.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:59 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Locked on target-Goalie

Why does he care if you're behind the end line?

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:02 PM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Locked on target-Goalie

Because it is the home team end line.

He could care less about the other one

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:48 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Locked on target-Goalie

mikekeating wrote:
Because it is the home team end line.

He could care less about the other one

But why does he care?

Oct 19, 2017 at 01:44 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Locked on target-Goalie

Personally, having shot soccer for almost 20 years, I've never had an issue with a back of goal line position. Now to be clear, that is NOT behind the goal, rather either left or right just outside of where the 18 yard box meets the goal line. If you are intending to get some action shots your own goalie, you might try a position on the side about 5 yards above the box. Lot of traffic to shoot through but you sometimes get rewarded

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:43 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Locked on target-Goalie

What lens or lenses are you using? Camera model? I found moving up and down the sidelines was enough to get the sorts of shots I wanted. Plus, changing the side of the field. I intended to get a shot of everyone. Maybe but in one game but over time. The problem, as you indicate, is time with it near the ball. Perhaps your son should keep his throw under wraps until later in the game when a decisive score is needed? Not just for the shots but as a strategy. In the meantime, I would just try to focus on the players who do tend to have the ball. Track them. Maybe that will lead to a few moments with your son in the mix. As long as you stay with the action, you have a good chance of catching him when the moment arises. The max focal length you have is important as that will dictate how effective you can be at distance. Also, pay attention to the position of the sun and consider the best position in the field in terms of what will get you the best image quality. Finally, a wider shot with your son in a good position in the frame can make for a good photo.

Oct 19, 2017 at 07:39 PM
ScooterShooter
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Locked on target-Goalie

schlotz wrote:
Personally, having shot soccer for almost 20 years, I've never had an issue with a back of goal line position. Now to be clear, that is NOT behind the goal, rather either left or right just outside of where the 18 yard box meets the goal line. If you are intending to get some action shots your own goalie, you might try a position on the side about 5 yards above the box. Lot of traffic to shoot through but you sometimes get rewarded

A few days ago I got kicked off the goal line (by the line judge) for the first time all season. It was particularly humorous because I had been at one goal or another for much of the game, and I was asked to move with about 10 min remaining in the game. Not sure why the first 70 minutes were any different.

I was given no reason. The referees would probably argue safety, and the coaches might argue distraction. However, for some reason the ball boys are allowed behind the goals without concern for either issue.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:10 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Locked on target-Goalie

ScooterShooter wrote:
A few days ago I got kicked off the goal line (by the line judge) for the first time all season. It was particularly humorous because I had been at one goal or another for much of the game, and I was asked to move with about 10 min remaining in the game. Not sure why the first 70 minutes were any different.

I was given no reason. The referees would probably argue safety, and the coaches might argue distraction. However, for some reason the ball boys are allowed behind the goals without concern for either issue.

Behind the end line is my favored spot for all field sports, and I've never been asked to move. It gives me the best angle on faces and action, and I'd hate to give it up. That's what makes me curious as to why a coach would object to a photographer being there.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:37 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Locked on target-Goalie

henry albert wrote:
Behind the end line is my favored spot for all field sports, and I've never been asked to move. It gives me the best angle on faces and action, and I'd hate to give it up. That's what makes me curious as to why a coach would object to a photographer being there.

I have never had an issue with behind the goal of the opposing team (about the same as stated above, where the 18 and the end line meet), this was my go to position for many years, most of the photos were of offensive players so it was easy. As for the sidelines I am limited to the away team sideline as the home team has a fence and banners along it. And inside of the fence is not a safe distance between field and fence. I could stand at the fence, but I like the lower positioning.

As for the end line for the home team. This is a coach that is new to me and I am being respectful of his wishes. He may feel it is a distraction, safety or whatever. It is his wish for his team and I will respect it. I only have 1 more game with my son/coach combo and it is not worth the effort at this point.

Oct 20, 2017 at 01:09 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Locked on target-Goalie

Haven't seen any mention of how far off the back line you were stationed. My general rule is at least 10 feet.

Oct 21, 2017 at 07:57 AM
ScooterShooter
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Locked on target-Goalie

henry albert wrote:

I was asked to move by a referee. Perhaps there are state rules for such things.

As far as the coach goes, I would guess it is the distraction of it. If your colors are anything that draws attention (and certainly if similar colors to one of the teams), that could be a problem.

And perhaps there is the argument that if I let you do it, then I have to let others. And then eventually there are too many people back there.

I don't really know. I just try not to be a distraction to anyone, though I felt like I was once, on a PK (though luckily he made the shot so I didn't feel bad).

Oct 21, 2017 at 08:43 AM
ScooterShooter
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Locked on target-Goalie

schlotz wrote:
Haven't seen any mention of how far off the back line you were stationed. My general rule is at least 10 feet.

I was probably about 6 feet, though I might have crept a little closer at times since it was an 11-0 blowout and no one was really taking the game seriously.

Oct 21, 2017 at 08:45 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Locked on target-Goalie

schlotz wrote:

I normally stay about 6-10 feet back. There are some other landmarks on the field that give me a good reference of where is acceptable (in my mind). There is some hard surface areas for track and field events and I normally sit on, that way I am not even on the turf. Kinda makes a good boundary for all involved.

The good news is that we just learned yesterday my son is being called up to Varsity for the upcoming playoffs. I have a great relationship with the varsity coach and have known him for years, so I think this issue worked itself out.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:56 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Locked on target-Goalie

For the oncoming play and with goal line shooting restrictions, I would pick the next best which would simply be the 1 yard line to shoot oncoming play.

Oct 29, 2017 at 09:17 AM
Pibblepictures

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Locked on target-Goalie

I guess I count myself lucky, as my kids' flag football league clearly marks the spectator boundary with a dotted line around the perimeter of the field, so there is no question or issue as long as you stay on the "parent" side of the line. It's only a yard from the out of bounds line, so I've had to dive and roll and couple of times to avoid getting run over by a pack of 8 year olds!

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.