Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2017 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

can't see why not. they operate independently of each other. the only relationship is the bridge app that DxO wrote to conduit to LR. i doubt they would want to poison the well.

Edited on Oct 20, 2017 at 07:37 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2017 at 05:23 PM
lukemeup
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

mbphoto_2.8 wrote:
What pisses me off:

Now, if you unsubscribe, your entire database, all your years worth of work and everything you put into Lightroom becomes USELESS all of a sudden.

Lightroom Classic CC doesn't put anything in the cloud. Nothing has changed. Lightroom CC is a totally different product (looks mostly geared for smartphone photographers - I can't fathom uploading 80MB raw files into the 'cloud').

"Indefinitely" doesn't mean forever. Also - technically you can always use a free converter to convert NEFs to DNGs - no need to buy anything.

Oct 20, 2017 at 05:37 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

tek9 wrote:
Lightroom Classic CC doesn't put anything in the cloud. Nothing has changed. Lightroom CC is a totally different product (looks mostly geared for smartphone photographers - I can't fathom uploading 80MB raw files into the 'cloud').

"Indefinitely" doesn't mean forever. Also - technically you can always use a free converter to convert NEFs to DNGs - no need to buy anything.

You don't understand the concept of the subscription model then? Or maybe I don't?!

As soon as I unsubscribe from Adobe CC services, my Lightroom CLASSIC CC (what a fugged up mind decided to change the names like this?!) would stop working, yeah?!
Now, If I can't use Lightroom anymore, I can't use my database anymore, I can't use my presets anymore, I can't use the metadata on my RAW-files anymore.

Sure, my files aren't lost.. (neither are they if you were dumb enough to upload them to Adobe, because you can still access them a full year after cancelling the account..) but all the WORK I put into the files is lost.

Now, please explain to me, how I got it wrong?
Because with my LR 6 software, that I paid 70 bucks for, I will still be able to use all my edits, my database, and edit pictures in 10 years time, as long as I have an operating system that can run LR 6. (compatibility mode gets you only so far..)

If there is indeed a way to simply migrate the entire database with all the metadata (I store it in XMP files now) to another software, I'll gladly write that down so I can jump the ship as soon as I need a new software.

Oct 20, 2017 at 06:23 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

Lightroom Classic CC is just the previous update of Lr CC. No issues here.

I have no interest in the cloud versions of software as it seems so many IT companies are intent of directing us towards. Sometimes having cloud based backups is excellent BUT if your internet connection is less than optimum it can be a real pain.

Oct 20, 2017 at 06:24 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

mbphoto_2.8 wrote:
You don't understand the concept of the subscription model then? Or maybe I don't?!

As soon as I unsubscribe from Adobe CC services, my Lightroom CLASSIC CC (what a fugged up mind decided to change the names like this?!) would stop working, yeah?!
Now, If I can't use Lightroom anymore, I can't use my database anymore, I can't use my presets anymore, I can't use the metadata on my RAW-files anymore.

Sure, my files aren't lost.. (neither are they if you were dumb enough to upload them to Adobe, because you can still access them a full year after cancelling the account..) but
...Show more

I do not believe there is a way to import the LR database into another software product but somebody could certainly write such a thing.

Oct 20, 2017 at 06:47 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

gdsf2 wrote:
I have no problem with it at all. I already have the subscription and am happy to pay for it. If somebody does not want to purchase a subscription, they can use some other software. Nobody is being screwed, Adobe is perfectly within thier rights to charge what they want, and how they want, for thier products. We as consumers are also within our rights to pay to play or go a different direction. I am actually amazed that (1) people think the $100 they paid should entitle them to support and updates forever and (2) that the same people
...Show more

Forget about the $1000's they drop on cameras...what about the money they drop on the morning coffee or the evening wine etc... At $10/month I get to use the leading software to create my art...

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:01 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

Dj R wrote:
are you ready to understand my point a little more clearly?
I have a choice to buy or lease my audi

I want the choice to buy or lease software that I use in my home.

now, you may be fine leasing everything
but I'm not
at least now, maybe you can understand why some folks are not happy.
cheers

Then go buy from another dealer that allows this. Stop your whining.

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:03 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

brian_sp wrote:
Duh

Is the concept really that hard for you to understand

Back in 2013 I bought Lightroom 4 for $140 US, it served me well till the d850 5 years later, at $10 US plus taxes putting it pretty much $12 a month X 5 years..... you do the math versus the $140 for 5 years

I also would rather have the option to do what I want, which would be to buy the product outright than to be forced to rent it
And don't give me the bull about other options available

Why not give you that bull about other options. Personally if I don't like what one restaurant is serving up...I'll got to another.

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:05 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

mbphoto_2.8 wrote:

Sure, my files aren't lost.. (neither are they if you were dumb enough to upload them to Adobe, because you can still access them a full year after cancelling the account..) but
...Show more

I don't think you lose your work either..."For Lightroom Classic CC, the application will continue to access photos on your local hard disk. You can import and organize photos, and output any edited photos, but the Develop and Map modules stop working when the subscription ends." You can't use the program to do any additional edits.

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:54 PM
egd5
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

Boy, this whole thread seems SOOO familiar. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't I heard this before? Cheesh!

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

gee, I was just thinking the same thing.

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:28 PM
lukemeup
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

mbphoto_2.8 wrote:

...Show more

Yes - we're talking about your situation here - your Lightroom 6 (classic) will continue to work.

In CC subscription - develop module stops working but EVERYTHING you ever edited before is accessible from library module - you can do exports and basic edits from there.

So even if you're in CC - how is the work you put into the files lost?

Even if you need to switch over from lightroom classic cc to standalone (because say you happen to have an old LR license) - you can export everything from cc as dng and import to a lower version catalog (all your edits except for prolly dehaze) will carry over.

Edited on Oct 20, 2017 at 09:31 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2017 at 09:03 PM
dakel
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

gdsf2 wrote:
I do not believe there is a way to import the LR database into another software product but somebody could certainly write such a thing.

On1 Photo Raw 2018 allows you to import a LR catalog. Supposedly it captures key words and other metadata, and edits. I haven't tried it myself but I imagine it only captures the basic edits. I also remember hearing about another software package that does it or plans to do it, but I don't remember which. Perhaps it was Macphuns planned release.

Oct 20, 2017 at 09:18 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

I never intended to upgrade from LR5 to LR6 but it seems to be a very attractive proposition right now.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:52 AM
mbphoto_2.8
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

Thanks, everyone, so I will still be able to use the catalog feature of Lightroom, even if I decide to unsubscribe at some point.

That's good to know, because losing the ability to manage my files would be an instant deal-killer.

Can you clarify on that point:
Will one be able to edit files using the editing tools provided by the standalone software, or will this not be possible if one never bought the standalone software?
Say, will the entire Develop-Module simply be inaccessible after unsubscribing?

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:35 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

mbphoto_2.8 wrote:
Thanks, everyone, so I will still be able to use the catalog feature of Lightroom, even if I decide to unsubscribe at some point.

That's good to know, because losing the ability to manage my files would be an instant deal-killer.

Will one be able to edit files using the editing tools provided by the standalone software, or will this not be possible if one never bought the standalone software?

My understanding is that the entire Develop module will be inaccessible after unsubscribing.
However, you can still import, manage your catalogue and maybe even apply the few rudimentary adjustments in the Library module. And you can export as you wish and send to other programs to edit.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:48 AM
lukemeup
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

mbphoto_2.8 wrote:

One your CC expires - the whole Develop module will become unavailable. You can still edit your files in 3rd party software.

If you have an older desktop version of LR - it is is a separate install from CC one.

My understanding is that once you upgrade your LR catalog to the latest version you can't open it with older versions of LR. So if you're on CC and there's a major upgrade (that upgrades your catalog and introduces new features unavailable in desktop version) - you won't be able to open it in an desktop version of LR.

You may need to export everything to DNG and import into your lower version desktop catalog (probably losing some edits that are available only in CC version of LR).

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:21 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

tek9 wrote:
One your CC expires - the whole Develop module will become unavailable. You can still edit your files in 3rd party software.

If you have an older desktop version of LR - it is is a separate install from CC one.

My understanding is that once you upgrade your LR catalog to the latest version you can't open it with older versions of LR. So if you're on CC and there's a major upgrade (that upgrades your catalog and introduces new features unavailable in desktop version) - you won't be able to open it in an desktop version of LR.
...Show more

And Lr Classic has already done that type of upgrade so that catalogue won't open in standalone Lr6.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:31 AM
lukemeup
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

arbitrage wrote:
And Lr Classic has already done that type of upgrade so that catalogue won't open in standalone Lr6.

Yup. I'm just wondering if the last upgrade of LR 6 coming in a couple days will make opening LR Classic catalog possible in the desktop version.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:34 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Lightroom Cc classic is ready for download.

tek9 wrote:
Yup. I'm just wondering if the last upgrade of LR 6 coming in a couple days will make opening LR Classic catalog possible in the desktop version.

I'd give that a 0% chance because Lr Classic has the new 2017 Process 4. They haven't given Lr6 any feature updates since it was released. Next week is just another camera support update and maybe some bug update. That is all Lr6 has been getting since its inception.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:38 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.