New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

allleedsarntwe

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

Hi All
I am a newbie here to this forum ,but i have been here many times but never registered.Great Forum by the way.

Anyway , i have recently acquired a 7Dmk2 . I recently discovered that some 7d's had focusing issues.

I took some shots of a Kingfisher with the 7d mk2 with a Canon 400mm f5.6 and 1.4x canon mk2 extender attached
Can anyone tell me if you see any reason to think i have focus issues ?

i have included a link to the recent shots
kingfisher taken at Tophill Low Reserve by Martin, on Flickr

i havent done any MAF with either the lens on its own or with x1.4 attached

Look forward to any replies and advice

Thank You

Martin

https://flic.kr/p/ZsVNUz

Oct 18, 2017 at 09:50 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

...havent done any MAF with either the lens on its own or with x1.4 attached
If you expect to get reasonable results from that combination (400mm/5.6 lens plus extender), then you absolutely MUST check whether AF micro adjustment is needed. Mine required -13, which is a fairly extreme value.

Even with microadjustment, I don’t consider the 400/5.6 to be a good candidate for use with extenders. The image quality degrades much more than the 500mm/4 plus extender.

John

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:08 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

Based on this one image, all I can say is that it is focused fine....looks great and I viewed it larger on your Flickr page.
That said, one image means nothing in regards to the 7D2's widely reported focus issues. I used the 7D2 as my main workhorse for a few years. I have 1000's of beautiful shots from it (and 10,000s kept in storage). I have now gone through all your recent Flickr postings....all the 7D2 ones look nice and sharp and focused.

The 7D2's AF complaints came in a few different ways....
1) There were some that could not get a sharp image in One Shot where in Servo everything worked fine
2) There were some that could never get a sharp image in Servo but One shot was fine
People in the above two groups usually were able to get Canon to service the camera and usually Canon found some sort of AF sensor misalignment and fixed the problem.

Then there is Case 3, I will call it lack of consistency compared to other Canon cameras....
This issue IMO was the most widely reported and the most confusing because the camera could produce razor sharp focused images BUT randomly would miss large amounts of focus in a burst of images (like BIF) and other times would miss focus on a bunch of shots in a burst of a relatively static bird like your kingfisher perched. Then I had days where it would seem to focus very reliably (up to the level of my other Canon bodies at the time). I sent mine to Canon having issues like this and Canon found no issues. So I accepted this type of variability as a known "feature" and worked around it (usually taking more images than I thought necessary to make sure some were tack sharp back on the computer). I eventually sold the 7D2 and moved on to greener pastures.

Lots of people were always happy with their 7D2s. I have no idea if I had given my camera to those people if they would have been totally happy with my copy also....did I have higher standards or was my body somewhat defective? I will never know.

Edited on Oct 18, 2017 at 11:48 AM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:35 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

What I would do in your case is ask yourself if you are happy with the results you are getting from your 7D2. Do you think the kingfisher is sharp? Do you get a good percentage of sharp shots when out shooting? If yes to those than don't worry about AF issues and enjoy your camera.

If you consistently find that the shots are always back-focused OR always front-focused then look to do AFMA. But if your shots are sometimes front, sometimes back focused then this isn't an AFMA issue. That is either a technique/small DOF issue OR maybe some internal AF issue.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:39 AM
wetzeln

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

allleedsarntwe wrote:
I took some shots of a Kingfisher with the 7d mk2 with a Canon 400mm f5.6 and 1.4x canon mk2 extender attached

Martin,

I agree with what Arbitrage that your focus doesn't appear to be an issue here. Many people do not use the 400 5.6 with extenders at all for pretty good reason. The otherwise sharp lens really doesn't play well with the extender in my experience. The 100-400 vII on the other hand plays pretty well with the 1.4x vIII, as long as you have decent light.

-Nick

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:04 PM
RogerZoul
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

I first thing I would do is remove the TC and take a lot of shots. If you cannot produce sharp images with a reasonable amount of effort, assuming you have found some decent subjects in decent light, then you need to ask again. The TC is a variable you need to remove from consideration when asking if your 7D2 has focus issues. Keep it simple. Perhaps use a tripod too.

I think arbitrage gave a very good summary of the issues reported with the 7D2. I am not sure where I stand, though, as i almost exclusively use AI servo on mine. I sometimes get shots that I expected to be in focus but weren't, but I can never be 100% sure if I am not the problem or if something was in the way when I was getting the shot, or if something was in the air, etc. Still, I am very happy with my 7D2.

One thing I do "feel" about the situation is this. With my 100-400 mk 2 I always felt as if something was not quite right with the system, even though I could get (and got) many long sequences of shots of flying birds in focus. There were still those issues where I thought the images could be sharper or better in focus (if that means anything). (A shooting buddy of mine felt the same way with his gear.) When I got the 400 DO 2, however, I felt like the sharpness improved drastically even though I think the focus is probably a bit faster (and certainly is better within a smaller radius around my position) on the 100-400 mk2.

I know some shooters personally whom I respect with a camera for getting good bird shots. One of them got a 7D2 and had issues from day 1. I could come to no other conclusion than he had a somehow defective 7D2. Canon could not fix it. Frankly, I think they can design a camera but yet not have the ability to decide what parts of the system are not functioning properly in such a way as to instruct someone to fix it.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:22 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

Where was the AF point when you took the photo? The break in the branch under the bird seems to be the sharpest part of the image. The birds eye appears slightly OOF at least in the larger flickr image. That's about all I can conclude from it.

I would say arbitrage has summed it up nicely. Sadly I was in case 3 which was incredibly frustrating. The 7D2/100-400mk2 combo was very inconsistent for me when tracking.

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:13 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

ggreene wrote:
Where was the AF point when you took the photo? The break in the branch under the bird seems to be the sharpest part of the image. The birds eye appears slightly OOF at least in the larger flickr image. That's about all I can conclude from it.

I would say arbitrage has summed it up nicely. Sadly I was in case 3 which was incredibly frustrating. The 7D2/100-400mk2 combo was very inconsistent for me when tracking.

Looking again at the kingfisher on Flicker I would agree that the focus is actually on the face feathers closest to the camera and not tack sharp on the eye. That in itself doesn't say there is a focus issue. I would say the Grey Heron and Chickadee shots and a lot of the kingfisher shots are tack on the eye.

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:19 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

I think your images are absolutely fine. But bear in mind that with the 400 5.6 with 1.4 you are running at f8 focussing and you are really pushing the 7D2 to its limits so I am not surprised it is unpredictable.

Bang-for-the-buck, the 7D2 is an excellent camera. As Arbitrage says (and I have also found) the AF has quirks that you learn to get round but when reading on the carious forums you realise there are so many variables - light levels, contrast levels and (probably most important) skill of the photographer. In good light I have found the 7D2 to match the 1Dx2 for accuracy and sharpness. But it can be unpredictable and for that reason alone got the 1dx2 to run alongside it - but for me the 1Dx2 was more about AF in lower light levels than sharpness as such.

Oct 18, 2017 at 04:41 PM
allleedsarntwe

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

Thank you for all the replies much appreciated.

Hopefully then i dont have any real focus issues with my 7d mk2 .Obviously im still learning Canon gear as i was using Sony before .i hope i have bought the right camera i thought long and hard whether to change systems .
Yes i would of liked a 1dx but my budget could of bought the body but it would have been years to buy a lens to use with it ,maybe in the future this will be the next body.

So what i gather that the Canon 400mm F5.6 is better used without the 1.4. I just wanted the extra reach to get closer to the subject ie the Kingfisher ..

i have been looking at the Sigma 150-600 C and S ,any thoughts on using this lens on the 7d2 ,this would give me the extra reach over the 400 5.6 ..

I know the S version of the sigma is better built but heavy and im not 100% sure i could carry that kind of weight all day .The C is lighter and from what i have read is not far behind or equal in sharpness to the S version. Any thoughts will be much appreciated

Martin

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:35 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

allleedsarntwe wrote:
Thank you for all the replies much appreciated.

Hopefully then i dont have any real focus issues with my 7d mk2 .Obviously im still learning Canon gear as i was using Sony before .i hope i have bought the right camera i thought long and hard whether to change systems .
Yes i would of liked a 1dx but my budget could of bought the body but it would have been years to buy a lens to use with it ,maybe in the future this will be the next body.

So what i gather that the Canon 400mm F5.6 is better used without
...Show more

The S and C are supposed to be very close in IQ. The S is said to be better outside of centre but probably won't matter for bird photography in most cases. I owned the Sigma C and used it mainly on the 7D2. I found it to be a very sharp lens and it was better than my 100-400 but a little behind my 100-400II. Even the C is a fair bit larger/heavier than the 400/5.6 so you have to take than into consideration. In the end I sold the Sigma C in favour of the 100-400II +/- 1.4TCIII. The 1.4TCIII works very well on the 100-400II....I've never used the 400/5.6 but from what I've read the 100-400II plays nicer with the 1.4TCIII. The 1.4TCIII was not that great on my 100-400. You will likely see a big benefit from the Sigma or 100-400II just because of the IS.

A 150-600C on 7D2 example...

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

I get plenty of sharp bird pictures with 7D2 400 5.6 and 1.4 mkii extender (better results than cropping from bare 400). That combo did require AFMA. AF speed and accuracy in poor lighting conditions suffer some due to f8 limitation, so I mostly use extender for static subjects. Also, technique is critical due to lack of IS. Obviously newer bodies and lenses costing thousands more will perform better.

Heron

Oct 19, 2017 at 01:49 PM
Photog Guy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

My wife has the sigma 150-600 C for her 80d. I had the S version that I used on a 7d2. I got a lot of good shots with the S version but when I borrowed my wife’s it was clearly sharper so I sold the S and got the C. After a lot of shots, I determined that her lens was still better which I confirmed by some careful testing using Reikan Focal. I would carefully test it if you buy a sigma. A good one will maintain sharpness at nearly wide open. My wife typically shot if at F8 or lower. The C I bought was best around F13

Oct 19, 2017 at 06:25 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

allleedsarntwe wrote:
Hi All
I am a newbie here to this forum ,but i have been here many times but never registered.Great Forum by the way.

Anyway , i have recently acquired a 7Dmk2 . I recently discovered that some 7d's had focusing issues.

Looks fine to me!

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:48 AM
Clicky94
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

Looks good to me.
I think you should stop worrying because most of the so called focus issues were reported by people who couldn't understand a focusing system that was more complex than they were used to.

Oct 22, 2017 at 05:46 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

Clicky94 wrote:
Looks good to me.
I think you should stop worrying because most of the so called focus issues were reported by people who couldn't understand a focusing system that was more complex than they were used to.

Although I first suspected this, there were just too many very accomplished and knowledgeable photographers who had the issue, some of whom I knew well. I skipped buying the 7D MK II because I did not want to deal with the reduced resale value, even if I got a good one.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:46 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

Very useful thread, as I recently got a 7D mark II

I also have a 5D mark III along with 300mm 2.8L IS

I sold the 5DII and 5Dc to fund for the 7D II and I wanted to test one first, as I would like to play with somethinb before jumping in and buying it,but could not get the opportunity to play with one...

I was undecided between 6D and 7DII. I knew that 6D had a cleaner look/image, but the 7DII would be a better AF camera, sealed and not to mention the extra reach with the 300...

I got the 7DII and am somewhat disappointed. Initially, before buying it, I thought my only complain would be ISO, but strangely, I encountered some AF issues as well..

Long story short, after having it for a few days, it seems that sometimes it's just not there, not as sharp as it should be (not necessarily as I'd wanted to be, but as it should be).

It's such a bummer because overall it's such a fantastic camera, let down by some small flaws and that sensor...

Why did they not put a new APS-H sensor in it? it would have rocked....

I've done a test in a coffee shop the 6D vs. 7D II (with the 300mm 2.8L IS), shot at the same settings on manual (same shutter speed, same aperture, same ISO ,same wb (K) 6600)

6D: https://www.flickr.com/photos/157075287@N08/38247154471/in/dateposted-public/

7dII: https://www.flickr.com/photos/157075287@N08/38247155111/in/dateposted-public/

both compared, I use Irfanview, the image on the left is 7DII and the one to the right is 6D, but I've zoomed into the 6D image,so that the field of view is the same, to compare colors & noise... (not very scientifically)

Perhaps what I should have done is crop the 6D image to match the field of view of the 7D II and compare them 100% and see what's what (i still have the raws).

the images are jpeg exported from raw , nothing was touched except 40 sharpness , radius 2.0, detail 80 and masking 75 for each

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:43 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D MK2 Focus issue ??

Just had a look at the OP's gallery and I don't think there are too many problems.

I'd MA the lens and consider some local sharpening and noise removal but all in I think they're pretty good, especially considering there's an extender in there as well.

Certainly nothing to be distressed about IMHO.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.