FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              30       31       end

Adobe announces new Lightroom products

snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

RIP stand-alone version

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/introducing-lightroom-cc-lightroom-classic-cc-and-more.html

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:18 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

Well, I guess we all knew this day was coming. Adobe is determined to collect rent from every user of their products.

From the above blog:

"Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership. There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering. Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017. Lightroom 6.13 with support for the Nikon D850 will be released on October 26, 2017."

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:30 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

Well the day I can't open a CR2 in LR hello Capture One Pro.

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:34 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

frdjohns wrote:
Well, I guess we all knew this day was coming.

You mean apart from the fact Adobe promised faithfully it wouldn't happen - that there would always be a standalone version.

Typical of Adobe.

That's me done with Lightroom once my cameras can't keep up, I won't ever rent software.

What a vile thing for them to do. I really hope it ends up hurting them.

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:05 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

dhphoto wrote:
You mean apart from the fact Adobe promised faithfully it wouldn't happen - that there would always be a standalone version.

Typical of Adobe.

That's me done with Lightroom once my cameras can't keep up, I won't ever rent software.

What a vile thing for them to do. I really hope it ends up hurting them.

I just do not understand the aversion to paying a monthly fee for software. Tha Adobe Photography plan, at $10 a month, is a great deal.

But it is your time and money, so your choice.

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:10 PM
bdickers
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

Capture One Pro is a fine replacement for light room, I've been using it for a while with no issues.
I refuse to pay for Adobe software I will never own.

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:16 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

dhphoto wrote:

That's not quite true ... I don't ever recall Adobe ever stating (or promising) anywhere, at any point "there would always be a standalone version."

What Adobe actually stated when asked about the future of perpetual license offerings for Lightroom was ... "We have no plans ..."

Today, they revealed there plans have changed.

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:33 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

butchM wrote:
That's not quite true ... I don't ever recall Adobe ever stating (or promising) anywhere, at any point "there would always be a standalone version."

What Adobe actually stated when asked about the future of perpetual license offerings for Lightroom was ... "We have no plans ..."

Then it appears so have mine. Try and avoid Adobe wherever possible from now on.

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:36 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

I read through Victoria Bampton's article on LR7 and the renaming of Lightroom to Lightroom Classic. Her comments on performance improvements didn't give me much hope.

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:36 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

bdickers wrote:
Capture One Pro is a fine replacement for light room, I've been using it for a while with no issues.
I refuse to pay for Adobe software I will never own.

I just went through the free trial. I was impressed. I'm going to miss some of the LR features but oh well.

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

dhphoto wrote:
Then it appears so have mine. Try and avoid Adobe wherever possible from now on.

Well, enjoy Caprure One ($300 until you have to upgrade). And instead of PS, give GIMP a try. I will pay my $10 a month and always have the latest version of LR and PS.

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:51 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

Been playing with the new "classic" version. Don't notice much difference in speed in the develop module or bouncing between modules. Don't see any new features in the Develop module besides the "Range Mask" feature that lets you refine an adjust brush/radial filter/graduated filter mask by selecting a luminance or color range.

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:51 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

gdsf2 wrote:
I just do not understand the aversion to paying a monthly fee for software. Tha Adobe Photography plan, at $10 a month, is a great deal.

But it is your time and money, so your choice.

It is like asking about a protective filter. No grey area here. It is a good deal but I purchased CS2 and LR5 and paid for al the upgrades. I felt like I was a loyal customer and now I don't have a choice. I just don't want to be on a subscription plan with Adobe.

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:53 PM
JohnnyArguedas

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

gdsf2 wrote:

I think it's the disingenuous way Adobe handled this that left people with a bad taste in their mouths.

Before they turned to the subscription model much of Adobe's software was mature to the point that people would not upgrade when new features were announced. I used to skip a few versions as the new features were usually just stuff that would be "nice to have." However, I had to look at my bottom line as a business and would upgrade only when it really helped me. Also, they were significantly higher in price than what many were spending on the software year to year. That photography plan, which *is* a good deal, was supposed to be temporary at $10 a month and the price was going to go back up. People were so mad that Adobe made it permanent.

I understand why Adobe did it: they needed steady revenue. It was absolutely the right decision for them to make as a business, but they ALSO took the opportunity to milk significantly more money out of their users. Sure, you can rent out the entire suite for peanuts, but what percentage of users need it all? They also stated a whole bunch of benefits to moving to a subscription model that were all proven to be complete BS shortly afterwards. For example, they said it enabled them to push updates whenever they were ready instead of in a yearly schedule, which would mean more innovation faster. Well, without a yearly cycle of a major press release how do new people get interested in your software?

Oct 18, 2017 at 03:00 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

butchM wrote:

Someone on dpreview found this:

Q. Will Lightroom become a subscription only offering after Lightroom 5?
A. Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-cloud.html

Oct 18, 2017 at 03:34 PM
riotshield
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

The subscription model is a great deal to the professionals and heavy users who upgraded to every version in the perpetual license days, but it is a net price increase on casual users who bought an upgrade version for $80 or less and occasionally skipped versions. Iím in the latter camp.

I can understand the appeal of a subscription model if you work with Lightroom as part of your job, but paying a monthly fee for organizing and occasionally editing family or vacation photos is not appealing to me. Especially when that functionality is implemented better in my smartphone for phone photos without the clunky performance issues and I donít have to pay monthly to organize and edit them.

Oct 18, 2017 at 03:37 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

CC/Lightroom Classic is a choice.

I have so much software - some of it free - I don't know what to use.

There are other options.

DPP is not that bad.

How about the free DxO version?

Oct 18, 2017 at 03:48 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

Just a quick question: Does Capture One offer file management, or is it strictly processing software?

Oct 18, 2017 at 03:52 PM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

riotshield wrote:
The subscription model is a great deal to the professionals and heavy users who upgraded to every version in the perpetual license days, but it is a net price increase on casual users who bought an upgrade version for $80 or less and occasionally skipped versions. Iím in the latter camp.

I can understand the appeal of a subscription model if you work with Lightroom as part of your job, but paying a monthly fee for organizing and occasionally editing family or vacation photos is not appealing to me. Especially when that functionality is implemented better in my smartphone for
...Show more

I believe this puts you and others that feel the same in the Adobe Premiere Elements user camp in Adobe's view.

Oct 18, 2017 at 03:56 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Adobe announces new Lightroom products

I continue to use CS 6 since I have the 1st version of the intel MacPro which will not run later, subscription, Photoshop versions. The rumor is Apple will release, in 2018, a new more user friendly version of their MacPro.

Oct 18, 2017 at 04:08 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password