FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2017 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

As we get these bigger and bigger lenses to deal with higher expectations for resolution and abberation corrections, I'm surprised that doesn't provide more of an opportunity to reduce the "obliquing" (which you would do with a larger entrance pupil?) issues. I suppose the mount diameter is a limiting factor in how the optic has to be designed in this respect?

Oct 26, 2017 at 02:05 AM
mike reid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

Fred Miranda wrote:
Very nice samples!

Five of those samples are mine. I had this lens for preview this summer.

Oct 27, 2017 at 01:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

mike reid wrote:
Five of those samples are mine. I had this lens for preview this summer.

They were probably the five best samples!

Oct 27, 2017 at 01:23 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

Mike, care to comment on the relative performance of the Otus 28 and the Milvus 25? What I have in mind is swapping my 28 for a Milvus 25+35... But only if....

Oct 27, 2017 at 02:53 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

Well the 28 is heavier. The 25 felt great to hike with. I felt the bokeh was similar, as was the rendering. both were sharp corner to corner. I took the 25 to Iceland, Banff, the Washington Coast and on that helicopter ride above Mount St Helens.

fwiw I posted many of my shots on flickr with the exif off halfway down page 5 to page 9.

Mike Reid Flickr Zeiss 25 Milvus 1.4 page 5

Mike Reid Flickr Zeiss 25 Milvus 1.4 Page 6

Mike Reid Flickr Zeiss 25 Milvus 1.4 Page 7

Mike Reid Flickr Zeiss 25 Milvus 1.4 Page 8

Mike Reid Flickr Zeiss 25 Milvus 1.4 Page 9

Funny story about the helicopter. I'm up there at sunset and put the 25 on my a7r2 via metabones IV. The connection started to get glitchy and about the time I would have a nice composition lined up, it would lose connection. I babied it through that flight, rotating the lens a bit to get the connection back. I was pretty freaked about not getting the shots on this rare opportunity. It was totally a MB IV issue. That and Fred mentioned how happy he was with the Sigma MC -11 drove me to order one that night. Happiness ever since...

Oct 27, 2017 at 04:13 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

Thanks Mike! And a stroll down your Flick'r gallery is a feast for the eyes!

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:52 AM
davidrwilliams
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

Now in stock at B&H.

Nov 02, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

mike reid wrote:
I'm up there at sunset and put the 25 on my a7r2 via metabones IV. The connection started to get glitchy and about the time I would have a nice composition lined up, it would lose connection. I babied it through that flight, rotating the lens a bit to get the connection back. I was pretty freaked about not getting the shots on this rare opportunity. It was totally a MB IV issue. That and Fred mentioned how happy he was with the Sigma MC -11 drove me to order one that night. Happiness ever since...

Sounds like a sales pitch for a D850 if I ever heard one

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:43 PM
immortalblue

[X]
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

hello, my only goal is to have the top of the top in microcontrast & 3D, do you think this Milvus might be one of the best between all 25 and 28mm due to my needs? thanks=)

Dec 29, 2017 at 02:14 PM
worldexclus1ve
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

The Milvus line is my favorite glass. I'm a Sony guy using it adapted but I will buy a D850 so I can use it natively.
When you have exactly what you need, new tech isn't that appealing.

My D500 has been the best experience I've had with a camera.

Dec 29, 2017 at 02:35 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

I tried the Milvus 25 and 35 at the same time as my Otus 28. The Milvus 25 made a very positive impression indeed. I would go so far as to say that it is most probably the best WA Zeiss ever made outside of Otus 28.
That said, I use the Otus on my Sony A7RII, and yesterday evening shoot a Meetup with a chap who had all 3 Otus on his Canon. When he saw that I and magnification and peaking in my EVF, he started thinking about going mirrorless.... Obviously horses for courses...

Dec 29, 2017 at 02:43 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

'The Milvus line is my favorite glass.' 'The Milvus 25 made a very positive impression indeed.'

CZ seem to be a company that put their heart and soul into certain lenses and ranges. Otus looks like it was a feeder range to develop the Milvus gems. If I could sensibly use a DSLR, I'd be in like Flynn. I doubt we in mirrorless land will ever see their like and so have to look at the green grass on the other side of the fence. But as they say: 'never say never'.

Dec 29, 2017 at 04:10 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

IThat is one "never" that I would not utter, Philip. It might have to eat (hope to, actually) it all too soon (never soon enough actually)

Dec 29, 2017 at 04:26 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

Any chance of seeing a newly designed Milvus 28/2 sharp edge to edge?

Dec 29, 2017 at 05:04 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

Most of the lenses that I use on my A7RII are Canon-mount, and mostly Zeiss: ZE "classic" series (8 or 9, I think), Otus (2), and Milvus (35/1.4 now, adding 25/1.4 in the spring). I'm perfectly happy using them with adapters. While I do have an actual Canon body (5DSR), it's relegated to emergency backup only. As soon as Sony comes out with another body that's worthwhile for my needs (A9R??), the Canon will be sold. I simply can't see myself ever using anything but mirrorless again.

Dec 29, 2017 at 05:44 PM
rvh23
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

I've been testing the Milvus 25 1.4 (zf.2) on Sony A7rII, and as predicted by the MTF curves it is a very noticeable improvement over the Classic 25/2, especially along the edges and in the corners, but even in the center where the classic was already amazing. It is the sharpest lens in the range 24-28 I have ever used on Sony, and I have tried just about every option said to work well, except the Otus28 and the newly announced Loxia25.

I expect this to be my go-to landscape lens for a very long time. One reason for that is that it can also be used with excellent results on a Mirex tilt adapter on the A7RII. Given I don't need shift for my application, in my bag it is replacing the combination of a Canon TS-E 24 II + Zeiss 25/2. The latter was going to be replaced by the Loxia25 for better corners but the Milvus already takes care of that.

Although I initially dismissed this lens because I thought it would be awkward and heavy with a mirrorless camera, it actually balances very well, the lens (without lens shade) being about the same size and weight as the combination of adapter, camera, and L-brackets under both. It is very stable on a tripod using the adapter's L-bracket.

Feb 28, 2018 at 08:01 PM
rvh23
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

One thing I have discovered with further evaluation of my Milvus 25 on Sony A7R2 is CA on fine details that doesn't always disappear using camera raw's 'remove CA'. I've fine tuned my adapter with shims pretty carefully so that corner sharpness is balanced, and the lens is right in the middle of the infinity sign for optimal distant focus, suggesting the adapter should be ok. Also my Loxia 21 is equally sharp on all edges so I can't blame the camera mount. It's surprising (to me) that I see it even near the middle of the image and stopped down.

I'm guessing in real-world landscapes it won't be visible in prints, but it is nevertheless a clear deficit compared to my Loxia 21. It would be good to hear from anyone else who has adapted this lens on Sony whether they see this.

F5.6 mid-region of image @100%

Edited on Mar 04, 2018 at 04:51 PM · View previous versions

Mar 02, 2018 at 07:20 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

rvh23 wrote:
One thing I have discovered with further evaluation of my Milvus 25 on Sony A7R2 is CA on fine details that doesn't disappear using camera raw's 'remove CA'. I've fine tuned my adapter with shims pretty carefully so that corner sharpness is balanced and pretty much right in the middle of the infinity sign for distant focus, suggesting the adapter should be ok. Also my Loxia 21 is equally sharp on all edges so I can't blame the camera mount. It's surprising (to me) that I see it even near the middle of the image and stopped down.

I'm guessing
...Show more

I think that is to be expected with such a fast lens and Zeiss does not claim it is APO. Even my Otus 28, which is described as APO shows this to some extent. The Loxia is 2 stops slower so no surprise it can do better.

Mar 02, 2018 at 07:55 AM
johngrobinson

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

I have only had this lens a few days but have noticed CA’s but only on high contrast edges at the edge of the frame. It’s a very high contrast lens and pretty sharp at the extreme edges which impressed me. I need more time to evaluate though as I have only used it in overcast conditions so far.

I went with the 25, 35, 50, 85 Milvus line but may add the 35 f2, classic 50 & 85, Voigtlander 58, Milvus 18 and 100 just because I love the character of those lenses.

Mar 02, 2018 at 10:18 AM
Andre Y
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25

That example isn’t CA: it’s color aliasing because the lens’s sharpness exceeds the sensor’s resolution, similar to moire. Go over it with the sponge tool or a brush set to desaturate to get rid of it.

Mar 02, 2018 at 01:08 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.