Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

ZhanMing12 wrote:
Center resolution isn't really impacted by the filter stack. Microcontrast is low with the 0.95 but at the very center the lens is good enough to resolve at the A7r ii's sensor level. Out to around 1/4 frame does suffer a little, but that isn't the strong suite of the Noctilux anyways, and functionally if you want to nail focus at f0.95, keeping the main object closer to the center is always not a bad idea.

It seems to me that the F1's problem might simply be slight OOF enhanced by EFCS distorting - otherwise, I have shot the F1
...Show more

For very fast lenses center performance can be affected by the sensor stack. See this article from lens rentals blog:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/07/sensor-stack-thickness-part-iii-the-summary/

Nov 02, 2017 at 11:06 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

charles.K wrote:
Congrats on the 75 Lux!!! This is one of my all time favorites as it was Mandler favorite lens too

Thanks! I'm super stoked to have finally obtained one, and it is just an excellent copy. Single owner (from 1983!) in perfect condition with the box!

I need to learn to take better care of some of this stuff. I've only had a few Minty Leica lenses for four or five years and they're already starting to show finish marks. Of course, I use them a lot so maybe that's just what happens when you are constantly putting equipment through its paces.

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:04 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

Arka wrote:
Thanks! I'm super stoked to have finally obtained one, and it is just an excellent copy. Single owner (from 1983!) in perfect condition with the box!

I need to learn to take better care of some of this stuff. I've only had a few Minty Leica lenses for four or five years and they're already starting to show finish marks. Of course, I use them a lot so maybe that's just what happens when you are constantly putting equipment through its paces.

dammit! lets see some pictures already!

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:15 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

sebboh wrote:
dammit! lets see some pictures already!

OK, you asked. This is actually a tough lens to use, particularly with this fast moving subject. But I am enjoying it (and the AF adapter is very helpful).

Leica 75mm f/1.4 Summilux + Sony A9

Leica 75mm f/1.4 Summilux + Sony A9

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:49 AM
pmeheut

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

Nice pictures. They remind me why I regret selling this lens... But with a rangefinder, focusing where you want and having everything perfectly calibrated is not always easy.
On a Sony, this is tempting.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:36 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

Arka wrote:
OK, you asked. This is actually a tough lens to use, particularly with this fast moving subject. But I am enjoying it (and the AF adapter is very helpful).

lovely!

i really liked the R 80/1.4, perhaps some day i will get one of these too.

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:47 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

pmeheut wrote:
Nice pictures. They remind me why I regret selling this lens... But with a rangefinder, focusing where you want and having everything perfectly calibrated is not always easy.
On a Sony, this is tempting.

Yeah that's one of the reasons I never seriously pursued a 75 for my M240. I preferred to use the RF on that camera given the slow and unreliable quality of the live view, but I had a really hard time getting perfect focus on the 90 f/2 I used on that camera, even with a 1.4x magnifier. I figured the 75 would be even harder to shoot wide open (plus I read there were focus shift issues), so I held off. But on the A9 it's much easier to manage with focus peaking, live view, and AF through the TechArt Pro adapter. Funny thing is that even with all of those aids it's still hard to nail focus on a moving subject like my little girl, but when you can get it, it sure is satisfying. Plus I really like the look of the lens as compared to the (excellent) Sony 85mm f/1.8 ... the detail is there but it's less contrasty - as a result the images end up looking like something out of a magazine from the 80s or 90s.

That said, the lens seems to have really strong corner performance. The detail in the corners of the images I posted, particularly the sandstone texture of the tide pools, is razor sharp at up to 300% magnification.

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Donzo98
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

I bet the focus would be a dream on the SL as well... tempting

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:53 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

Donzo98 wrote:
I bet the focus would be a dream on the SL as well... tempting

Yeah, Iíll bet it would be a lot easier to reliably focus on an SL than an M. I like having the AF option for my fidgety daughter though.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:53 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

sebboh wrote:
lovely!

i really liked the R 80/1.4, perhaps some day i will get one of these too.

I thought about getting one of those instead of this.. probably wouldve saved about $1200 if I went for a used one on eBay.... but I was put off by the weight (over 700g versus 560g, which is about the heaviest I am willing to go on the A9). Of course, itís still lighter than the 85mm f/1.4 GM (over 800g).

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:56 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

Arka wrote:
I thought about getting one of those instead of this.. probably wouldve saved about $1200 if I went for a used one on eBay.... but I was put off by the weight (over 700g versus 560g, which is about the heaviest I am willing to go on the A9). Of course, itís still lighter than the 85mm f/1.4 GM (over 800g).

yeah, i found the focus throw to be too long for chasing my kids around too.

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:18 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

sebboh wrote:
yeah, i found the focus throw to be too long for chasing my kids around too.

The focus throw on the 75 Lux is also very long, which I suppose is good for precision but bad for making fast, quick adjustments. The focus ring on my copy is also pretty stiff... smooth, but stiff. As such, I'm glad that I have the option to AF most of the time. I'm actually pretty surprised at the keeper rate I am getting (at least in terms of being in reasonably good focus) using the 75 on the TechArt Pro. It's not as good as the Sony 85 f/1.8 in that regard (which pretty much gets the right things in focus 100% of the time, almost like magic), but I much prefer the look of the 75.

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:38 AM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

Arka wrote:
Yeah, Iíll bet it would be a lot easier to reliably focus on an SL than an M. I like having the AF option for my fidgety daughter though.

How good is the AF using the TechArt on the Sony??

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:07 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Would you replace a 50mm Summilux with a 50mm Noctilux?

Donzo98 wrote:
How good is the AF using the TechArt on the Sony??

It's pretty good, though I don't want to oversell it. AF-S is great in good and low light if using center point. Off-center points are perfectly usable in good light, but performance degrades in very low light, like any AF system. AF-C is very good at tracking small movements, but if a fast moving subject is running towards or away from you, the keeper rate drops to about 50% (less if it's dark). Eye AF works very well. I used it extensively in AF-C mode to keep track of my daughter in the pictures above.. the kid loves to sway back and forth, which is challenging for MF but easily handled by TAP + AF-C.

Overall, I find it to be a very welcome addition to my workflow. When I first started using it, I quickly became dependent on it and realized that this dependency was getting me into trouble when TAP encountered difficulty. In the short time I've used it though, I've developed a pretty good sense of when TAP is helping, and when I need to step in and focus the image myself. But for the 75mm f/1.4 in particular, I find TAP to be indispensable - it makes the lens useful in many more situations than MF alone.

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:57 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password