FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

charles.K
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

gdsf2 wrote:
The trick is finding the correct adjustment in the Dock based on Nikon value. 1:1 or 1:2 is a big difference. Are you rechecking with auto fine tune after you use the dock to see if you get a correction value of 0 from Nikon?

Yes I do. It takes a short while but you do get a feel for the correlation and it becomes quite quick.

Oct 18, 2017 at 09:10 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

Might suggest that those doing testing share a chart, including:

-Lens tested
-for primes, each of the four distances tested, measured in meters
-for each distance, which number the D850 spit out, and after dialing in the lens with the dock, which number in the lens produced correct focus
-for zooms, include the same at focal lengths, read from the lens and read from image metadata (reported by lens)

Maybe get enough data to figure out round about how to dial in these corrections quicker in the future and give new users a solid place to start?

[would also be useful for comparing the system in the D850 to future Nikon bodies that will surely have it, and may be useful for Sigma users on Canon (and Pentax?) as a rough guide]

Oct 19, 2017 at 05:05 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

I have now spent some time re calibrating all my Sigma Art lenses. One in particular has been the 24-105 Art as it is a surprise package. I suspect some of the tested unsharp performances relates to the calibration of the lens being slightly off. It is still a zoom and not a prime, but it is surprisingly good lens when you need a general purpose zoom. There are 4 focal lengths to calibrate and 4 distance settings so it takes some time. The Art lenses are excellent IQ and value and being a third party lens a one fit calibration will never really be possible as the design spans all makes of cameras.

I have added the calibration profile for the 24-105 Art and this is with a correction of +17 for the D850. The reason for the high correction is make sure you have full range of adjustment for your Art lens calibration profile. You basically have a range of +/-20 for the Art lens and the D850. As you can see from the 24-105 calibration profile I used the full range available.

I used automatic fine tune for all points on the matrix and the closer to mid distances there was close 1 to 1 correction of the D850 to the Art lens profile. At far and infinity the Art lens correction was about 1 to 2 that of the D850.

I have added the 50 Art and 35 Art calibration profiles too.

Having spent this time it has been well worthwhile the effort since these Art lenses will spending a lot of time on the D850.

Some shots this after of Michelle at f/4. Also a low light shot at 11,400 ISO with the 24-105 at 105mm.

Sigma Art 24 - 105 f/4 Lens calibration proflle. D850 +17 correction.

50 Art Calibration Profile

35 Art Calibration Profile

24 -105 Art low light at 11,400 ISO shot

Oct 20, 2017 at 01:43 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

The 24 Art is another superb lens for the D850 . Here are some recent shots in Sweden Gotenburg, with the 24 Art and with the lowly D810

I have further calibrated the 24 Art on the D850 and all the minor discrepancies in AF have now disappeared. This lens is a real power house, great for streets, people shots and landscapes and is great value.

I have also added the 24 Art lens calibration chart. There was very little correction required.

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:25 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

charles.K wrote:
Yes I do. It takes a short while but you do get a feel for the correlation and it becomes quite quick.

I'm glad someone else attempted this to see if trying to find the multiplier was worth the effort.

What with having to take the lens off the camera and put in on the dock each time you change a setting the 4 distances takes ages even right next to a computer. A zoom would take half a day! Why oh why is there no mini-usb port Sigma

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:31 AM
KHAWACHEN
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

Short: Sigma dock just works!

Long:
Don’t have D850 but I can speak for the Sigma Dock + D810.
Prior to D810, had D500. The D500 was super sharp with 70-200 2.8 VR2 but had off/on focus issue with Sigma 24mm 1.4A. Later in sold D500 for D810 then tried +S 24mm 1.4A, i was also noticing soft focus every now & then. I really didn’t want to get rid if the 24mm so got the Sigma dock. After few calibration, the Sigma 24 1.4A is RAZOR SHARP with the D810! No matter the lighting and not sometimes but always! Now I’m contemplating letting go of 70-200 2.8 VR2 going back into prime 85A or 135A. I love the result from 135A but 85A is seems more versatile. 105E 1.4 looks magical but too expensive for me.

Oct 20, 2017 at 03:41 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

Mark_L wrote:
I'm glad someone else attempted this to see if trying to find the multiplier was worth the effort.

What with having to take the lens off the camera and put in on the dock each time you change a setting the 4 distances takes ages even right next to a computer. A zoom would take half a day! Why oh why is there no mini-usb port Sigma

Yes, it would be better if Sigma improved the speed and functionality of the USB dock for larger calibration runs. But having your Art lens optimized is like opening a new door to sharp and high IQ images that you take for granted. Yes it takes some time but well worthwhile.

I love my Nikon lenses, but there are many Art lenses that also superb. It would be fair to assume that not everyone can budget for Nikon f/1.4 lenses so the Art lenses are a great option particularly if you have acquired a D850

Oct 20, 2017 at 06:32 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

KHAWACHEN wrote:
Short: Sigma dock just works!

Long:
Don’t have D850 but I can speak for the Sigma Dock + D810.
Prior to D810, had D500. The D500 was super sharp with 70-200 2.8 VR2 but had off/on focus issue with Sigma 24mm 1.4A. Later in sold D500 for D810 then tried +S 24mm 1.4A, i was also noticing soft focus every now & then. I really didn’t want to get rid if the 24mm so got the Sigma dock. After few calibration, the Sigma 24 1.4A is RAZOR SHARP with the D810! No matter the lighting and not sometimes but always! Now I’m contemplating
...Show more

I wish Nikon also had the option to calibrate some of their lenses over 4 distance settings. With Nikon lenses however there is almost no need as the profile is native and "should" be designed into the lens requiring just a single calibration setting. That said there are a number of lenses that I wish I could tweak.

The 24 Art is a surprise package as it is lens not often talked about. Yesterday I did pick up a Nikon 24/1.8G lens for a light/small street lens but on testing it yesterday I found it needed a +18 correction and there was a lot of CA even at f/5.6. Needless to say I am sending this lens back as it is not a good copy.

The interesting discussion is that I have now found all my Art lenses, 20, 24, 35, 50 and 24-105 AF is more accurate, consistent and faster than on my D810 and D750. I suspect this is with the new D850 AF system that it drives the Art lens AF system better which has been an issue in the past.

Oct 20, 2017 at 06:50 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

Shot this morning with the 24 Art

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:13 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

charles.K wrote:
Yes, it would be better if Sigma improved the speed and functionality of the USB dock for larger calibration runs. But having your Art lens optimized is like opening a new door to sharp and high IQ images that you take for granted. Yes it takes some time but well worthwhile.

I love my Nikon lenses, but there are many Art lenses that also superb. It would be fair to assume that not everyone can budget for Nikon f/1.4 lenses so the Art lenses are a great option particularly if you have acquired a D850

My ultimate wish is that they would just write a calibration curve to the lens on testing it at the factory. I think we'll just have to wait for mirrorless to take over instead to alleviate our personal af calibration drudgery.

Oct 22, 2017 at 04:26 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

I may be misunderstanding your post but the big issue isn't the calibration of the lens itself.. but the lens mated to a particular camera...

To me this would be hard to account for at the factory. Love nikons new calibration tool but wish they'd release their own dock... or allow those types of more nuanced adjustments in camera.

Mark_L wrote:
My ultimate wish is that they would just write a calibration curve to the lens on testing it at the factory. I think we'll just have to wait for mirrorless to take over instead to alleviate our personal af calibration drudgery.

Oct 22, 2017 at 04:48 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

Blakehfreeman wrote:
I may be misunderstanding your post but the big issue isn't the calibration of the lens itself.. but the lens mated to a particular camera...

To me this would be hard to account for at the factory. Love nikons new calibration tool but wish they'd release their own dock... or allow those types of more nuanced adjustments in camera.

It is the non-linearity with distance that is the big issue to sort out. Writing a curve to the lens would sort this out and the lens could be used with only an offset ie. the fine-tune setting in the body.

Oct 22, 2017 at 04:55 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

I agree. The issue with the Art lenses is that they are third party lenses and sometimes there is non-linearity in the calibration curves and how they interpret the AF system. That said the quality of the optics and lenses are amazing which are now out performing a lot of native brothers and are superb value. Yes it can take a little time to calibrate but well worthwhile. With the higher MP's camera bodies any lens weaknesses will be very unforgiving native or third party. I just had an issue with a Nikon 24mm f/1.8G lens I received on Friday and a quick test showed it required a fine tune correction of +18 and was showing a lot of CA even at f/5.6, so this lens is being sent back this morning.

The issue of non linearity happens with many native lenses too also depending on the optical design. It is the DOF limits that we can adapt to the lens to that it will work though out the focusing range by adjusting one fine tune AF adjustment. Sometimes we cannot and it is a pain.

The newer E series lenses from Nikon require virtually no fine tune AF corrections so it is very possible and Nikon must be aware this can be a issue with manufacturing tolerances. These newer E series lenses are superb and priced accordingly

Oct 22, 2017 at 05:22 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

When testing, it's a good idea to test multiple focal points, in addition to multiple distances. You can't calibrate by focal point, but you can send the lens in for maintenance. My Sigma 35 f/1.4 had an issue where the left hand side needed +2 and the right hand side needed -2 while the center was perfect, and they were able to correct it in a day at the Sigma service center. They only would have charged something like $60 (which was covered under warranty).

Oct 24, 2017 at 01:19 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

This is cross post from the D850 thread...Focus stacking with 2 remote SB 5000 flashes in umbrella and soft box. 10 raw NEF shots, distance 7, 3 secs to allow flashes to recoup. Import into Lr, then used the link with Lr for Helicon direct export and just used option 3, pyramid rendering. Nothing to do except watch We need to use this function for many different commercial food shoots.

50 Art lens.

Oct 24, 2017 at 05:09 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

OccAeon wrote:
When testing, it's a good idea to test multiple focal points, in addition to multiple distances. You can't calibrate by focal point, but you can send the lens in for maintenance. My Sigma 35 f/1.4 had an issue where the left hand side needed +2 and the right hand side needed -2 while the center was perfect, and they were able to correct it in a day at the Sigma service center. They only would have charged something like $60 (which was covered under warranty).

Sound like they fixed the de-centering quickly and efficiently. In Australia Sigma service is not as good. There is an excellent camera service center, Camera Clinic that can quickly re align lens and calibrate them within a couple days. I have not used them for Nikon or Sigma lenses yet, but I used them extensively for all my previous Leica M lenses.

Oct 24, 2017 at 05:15 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

This afternoon I just picked up the 24-35 f/2 Art lens for some specific shoots where I need the range. I would be interested other people's feedback

Here are some first shots with the 24-35 f/2 Art lens of my wife, Marisa, 24mm and 35mm at f/2. I only had to fine tune AF to +7 and the lens required no further calibration with the USB dock. This lens is quite amazing as it is very sharp, fast and accurate AF with none of past issue of AF inconsistency. AF is set to AF-C AUTO with face recognition and it worked 100% of the time at all FL's.

Synopsis so far this is an amazing lens!

I have cross posted this in the D850 image and resource thread too

Oct 25, 2017 at 03:35 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

charles.K wrote:
This afternoon I just picked up the 24-35 f/2 Art lens for some specific shoots where I need the range. I would be interested other people's feedback

Here are some first shots with the 24-35 f/2 Art lens of my wife, Marisa, 24mm and 35mm at f/2. I only had to fine tune AF to +7 and the lens required no further calibration with the USB dock. This lens is quite amazing as it is very sharp, fast and accurate AF with none of past issue of AF inconsistency. AF is set to AF-C AUTO with face recognition and it
...Show more

Plenty sharp for zoom lens at f2. Looks like you got yourself a good copy. Can you test with D750 or D810? I wonder if Sigma lenses are working differently / better with D850 or not.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:31 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

milkod2001 wrote:
Plenty sharp for zoom lens at f2. Looks like you got yourself a good copy. Can you test with D750 or D810? I wonder if Sigma lenses are working differently / better with D850 or not.

I no longer have my D810 as I traded to upgrade. But I still have the D750. I will test it in the next few days

I have been testing the 24-105/f4 Art on the D750, in fact Marisa my wife has, and this lens is just amazing. She absolutely loves this lens. The 24-35/f2 is also superb on the D750.

I will try and post some shots but for now both the 24-105 f4 and 24-35 f2 Art lenses are superb on the D750. I am using the same lens profile as for the D850 with no fine tune AF correction needed for either lens on the D750.

Edited on Oct 26, 2017 at 10:15 PM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2017 at 08:06 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon D850 with Sigma Art lens image and resource thread

An update on the Sigma Art lens calibration procedure.

I feel the simplest way to calibrate the profile with Art lenses is manually with the tripod and lens align system combined with the USB dock.

(1) Note the 4 distance settings for the lens.
(2) Camera and lens on tripod with lens align or similar.
(3) Quick check on the base D850 fine tune AF correction required for near and infinity. Use this fine tune AF correction as a constant.
(4) Then focus check each distance setting and note the forward or back focus setting. If it is close, + or -1, if it is sitting on 4 or 8 on the lens align try +/-3 to 5.
(5) Calibrate via the USB dock and re check. It may take 1 or 2 iterations but it is very accurate.
(6) Then check your mid to distance/infinity calibration. Again only 1 or 2 iterations will nail it.

I suggest against using the automatic fine correction with the D850 as it takes too long and values will vary depending on your distance setting. The automatic fine correction best works on your optimum calibration distance typically 20-50 FL and is ideal for Nikon lenses as the internal calibration profile should be accurate.

Oct 26, 2017 at 09:06 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.