Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Costa Rica again

butlerkid
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Costa Rica again

I can only echo all the above accolades! Superb work! Again you have inspired me and ratcheted up my anticipation of our trip to Costa Rica in January.

If I may ask a question. What is your one or two most used focal lengths? I shoot Nikon and have both the D5 full-frame and D500 crop sensor bodies. My possible lenses for this trip are the 300 f PF f4 (which takes the 1.4 tele extremely well), the 80-400 AF-S 4.5-5.6, the 70-200/2.8 (which also does excellent with a tele). The thing is I seldom have the tele on when it is needed! ! I also have the 500/f4, which at 8.6 lbs for the lens alone, requires a tripod. I can carry the tripod & 500 f4 for short distances.

Oct 23, 2017 at 08:45 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Costa Rica again

The three lenses I have used the most in Costa Rica have been the 500mm f/4, 80-400mm f/5.6, and the 200mm f/4 macro. The birds and other wildlife can actually be too close at times for the 500mm lens. With Canon that would translate to a 500mm or 600mm lens and the 100-400mm zoom lens. The 600mm f/4 with the 200-500mm is another possibility with a full Nikon frame camera.

I shot mostly with the D500 with its excellent autofocus system. Now I have the D850 and so will have the new AF system in a crop and a full frame camera for my next trip to Costa Rica in March of 2018.

Travel is very easy in Costa Rica, taking 5 hours to go from the northern to the southern borders and roughly the same amount of time to go from the west coast to the east coast. Weather varies greatly by both time of year and location in the country which has many micro climates. Food and lodging are cheap compared to the USA. Car rentals are expensive with the mandatory auto insurance that is as expensive as the rental fees. Roads are a lot better than what I encounter in California and the buses are also a good option for travelers.

Oct 23, 2017 at 09:52 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Costa Rica again

elkhornsun wrote:
The three lenses I have used the most in Costa Rica have been the 500mm f/4, 80-400mm f/5.6, and the 200mm f/4 macro. The birds and other wildlife can actually be too close at times for the 500mm lens. With Canon that would translate to a 500mm or 600mm lens and the 100-400mm zoom lens. The 600mm f/4 with the 200-500mm is another possibility with a full Nikon frame camera.

I shot mostly with the D500 with its excellent autofocus system. Now I have the D850 and so will have the new AF system in a crop and a full
...Show more
Thank you so very much for the information. Looks like the 70-200/2.8 may stay home and the 80-400 (which served me very well in South Africa, Botswana and Kenya) will go. I'll take the 500 and the 300 PF....with 2X tele I have a hand holdable 600mm.

I still haven't warmed to the D500....preferring the D5 whenever I'm not reach challenged, especially in low light.

Thanks again.

Oct 24, 2017 at 08:42 PM
Greg Lavaty
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Costa Rica again

butlerkid wrote:
I can only echo all the above accolades! Superb work! Again you have inspired me and ratcheted up my anticipation of our trip to Costa Rica in January.

If I may ask a question. What is your one or two most used focal lengths? I shoot Nikon and have both the D5 full-frame and D500 crop sensor bodies. My possible lenses for this trip are the 300 f PF f4 (which takes the 1.4 tele extremely well), the 80-400 AF-S 4.5-5.6, the 70-200/2.8 (which also does excellent with a tele). The thing is I seldom have the tele on when it
...Show more

Thanks,

My most used lens by far for this trip was my 500mm f/4 IS which is the older one that weighs 8.5lbs. I used it hand-held 97% of the time. My second most used lens was the Sigma 100-400 C which I used a lot at the couple of places that I visited that had feeders, especially for hummingbirds. The other lens I had was the 35mm macro lens which I used mostly for the night walks. I was driving all over the place with my 500mm f/4 in my lap because there were so many opportunities right along the road. I tend to be a little lazy about carrying my gear so I try to always arrange itineraries so they don't involve many "long" hikes. Long to me when referring to hikes is more than maybe a couple hundred yards.

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bonnyrcl
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Costa Rica again

Greg..It's a wonderful set and a delight to see them.

Regards,
John

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:02 PM
RobAmy
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Costa Rica again

Eye candy Greg, going with Amy the beginning of February

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:23 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Costa Rica again

Lineated woodpecker is a beaut! Love the howler; magnificent creatures.
Don

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:57 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password