New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Live View and mirror question when bracketing

tsinsf
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Live View and mirror question when bracketing

I have the 5d Mark IV and often shoot bracketed shots with a telephoto lens. Someone told me that earlier versions of Canon cameras had a "Quick" focus option in Live View which resulted in the mirror going down so that focus could happen faster. I've looked in the manual and on all my camera setting options and can't find such a beast in the Mark Iv. So, is it possible that I have the camera set so that when I focus in Live View and shoot off a series of bracketed shots, the mirror is going down to bypass the focusing on the sensor mechanism, to use the faster other focus mechanism normally used when focusing through the viewfinder. This could theoretically produce mirror shake, especially when using a telephoto lens which I often do. If so, details please. Thanks.

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:03 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Live View and mirror question when bracketing

Canon removed the LV quick mode from the 5D IV, likely because the dual-pixel AF is just as fast. So you don't have to worry about the mirror cycling unless you're using flash. However another thing you might consider is how the shutter-vibration benefit of the Electronic First Curtain Shutter (EFCS) in LV only benefits the first exposure of a bracketed sequence, since the camera must recock both curtains for subsequent images of the burst. Btw Canon calls their EFCS mode "Silent LV shooting".

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:30 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Live View and mirror question when bracketing

I wish they had left the mode, I used it to compare PDAF with live AF accuracy. It was quick and easy to see if there was a significant difference that made it worthwhile to do a full blown AFMA.

Oct 17, 2017 at 09:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.