1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2017 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

Lee Saxon wrote:
... even if they were 100% profit I'm doubtful it'd make a meaningful dent in R&D spending. It's a prestige / brand image move.

The question for me is why that works. People who saw the Hasselblad Stellar and Lunar for what they were but own a Lenny Kravitz pre-distressed M or will buy this Thambar absolutely flummox me. I just don't see the difference.

Brand management for sure, and that is how Leica survives. Nothing wrong with Hasselblad: I enjoyed my years with the 2000FC but it was always a photographic tool. A Hassy with gold plate and leather trim is really pretty but does not confer pedigree. (I won't mention those rebranded atrocities out of respect for Victor.) Leica goes way back, and people connect with the brand and the designers in a way that is unique. Some weathy persons may be attracted to the bling editions, while others are quite satisfied with an M3, Leicameter, and rigid 50 'cron.

Ref: http://leoleigh.com/2014/01/

Nov 03, 2017 at 10:59 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

Lee if it keeps leica making $$$$ and gives more to their bottom line and I can get a camera like the MM or the M 10 then keep the special additions coming Leica. There must be some profit in it for Leica or why would they do it?

I know an orthopedic surgeon that had a HUGE collection of film Leica's. He was a collector and bought limited additions and special bodies and lenses. He had many of decades. Sold his entire collection and he said that it fetch enough form the Hong Kong auction that more than paid for the kids college and their house.

I wouldn't buy them but they always seem to see them. I'm sure many that do will see a profit if they wait.

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:58 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

mdemeyer wrote:
I also have a passion for fountain pens, but I use them and enjoy them, as I do my cameras. I don’t know if that makes me a collector of pens or not... I have about 20 and they get used, broken, repaired, and used some more. So I feel like a user, not a collector. And a happy one. A Cartier with a left-oblique nib filled with Waterman Florida Blue in the rotation at the moment. :-)

Oblique nibs are the best. I have a Montblanc Meisterstück Le Grande with an OBB nib and Iroshizuku Asa Gao (deeply blue) that I never get tired of (and it's the only Montblanc I actually like and still own). For day-to-day writing I'm currently using a Lamy 2000 stainless (great pen but leaks a little) and a Porsche Design Techflex, and for drawing nothing beats Pilot's EF falcon nibs in the metal bodies.

Have you tried the Iroshizuku inks? Pricey but absolutely sublime.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:56 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

airfrogusmc wrote:
Lee if it keeps leica making $$$$ and gives more to their bottom line and I can get a camera like the MM or the M 10 then keep the special additions coming Leica. There must be some profit in it for Leica or why would they do it?

I know an orthopedic surgeon that had a HUGE collection of film Leica's. He was a collector and bought limited additions and special bodies and lenses. He had many of decades. Sold his entire collection and he said that it fetch enough form the Hong Kong auction that more than paid
...Show more

What I'm curious about is how they fared compared to other more traditional investments? Maybe if he'd invested the same money in Apple, Google, Amazon, or a tech-heavy index fund instead he would've been able to donate a building to the kids' college and buy two more houses.

Maybe not though. I just don't have the data one way or the other.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:59 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

Well, it is one way to make all of their other lenses look reasonably priced.

Nov 03, 2017 at 03:53 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

Arka wrote:
What I'm curious about is how they fared compared to other more traditional investments? Maybe if he'd invested the same money in Apple, Google, Amazon, or a tech-heavy index fund instead he would've been able to donate a building to the kids' college and buy two more houses.

Maybe not though. I just don't have the data one way or the other.

He did make a lot of money and he says it wasn't all for just the $$$. He also loved having them and the all the things that go along with that. I think he got over 100K for one of the Leica's that he had that he didn't pay near that when he bought several decades ago.

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:08 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

Leica offers choices that oftentimes aren't a rational business case.

It's nice to have choices, even for a bystander.

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

Anyone who owns this lens, could you please post some samples without much processing and without the center spot filter? TIA!

Mar 05, 2022 at 10:59 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

I ended up getting one.

Wide open is quite glowy with tons of spherical aberration but minimal color error. Although very low in contrast wide open, it captures fine detail around the center area.
It already improves at f/2.6 with a boost in contrast.

So far, I've learned that the sweet spot is using it at f/2.6 without the filter and ~f/3.2 with the center spot filter. Wide open only when I want a dreamy effect.

The center spot filter softens the image amplifying SA even further. It also creates a 'donut' effect on specular highlights. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like the effect in some images.

Here are some samples:

f/3.2 with center spot filter

f/2.2 with no filter (Dreamy, glowy)

f/2.2 with no filter

f/2.6 with no filter

f/2.2 with no filter

sunstar @f/8 with no filter

f/2.6 with no filter

Apr 05, 2022 at 05:48 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

Fred Miranda wrote:
I ended up getting one.

Wide open is quite glowy with tons of spherical aberration but minimal color error. Although very low in contrast wide open, it captures fine detail around the center area.

So far, I've learned that the sweet spot is using it at f/2.6 without the filter and ~f/3.2 with the center spot filter. Wide open only when I want a dreamy effect.

The center spot filter softens the image amplifying SA even further. It also creates a 'donut' effect on specular highlights. Not everyone's cup of tea but
...Show more

Great samples, thanks. This lens has been on my want list for some time. I think it would be a fun combo to use with my 28 Summaron for casual vacation photography of otherwise ordinary subjects.

There is a long photo thread for this lens over at Leica Forum that you may enjoy: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279589-thambar-crazy

Apr 07, 2022 at 10:35 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

Fred Miranda wrote:
I ended up getting one.

The center spot filter softens the image amplifying SA even further. It also creates a 'donut' effect on specular highlights. Not everyone's cup of tea but
...Show more

Very nice Fred, a tempting lens for sure, though thankfully/or not, since I have no color Leica M it stays off my list for now. Though I am sure it would look great on the Monochrom too. Once again lovely shots showing the capabilities.

Apr 07, 2022 at 11:21 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

I few more from a yesterday walk-around:

I used the rangefinder for most of these samples but I think this lens benefits from using the EVF to preview the final image and rendering effect. Because it's a 90mm lens, it can be adapted to any mirrorless without any compromise.

These were all shot at f/2.6 without the center spot filter.

Apr 07, 2022 at 11:26 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

It'd be really cool to use one of the original 1930's lenses. Probably expensive though.

Apr 08, 2022 at 12:52 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.