New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Hi Res mode

smkunder

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hi Res mode

Well after a lot of reading and asking a bunch of questions, I think I have narrowed my jump into M4/3 down to two bodies. This will be a grab and go system to go along with my Nikon system so I am not looking to replace my Nikon system as of yet. So I think it comes down to the E-M5 ll or the E-M10 lll. My dilemma is whether to go with the newest sensor engine in the 10 , or go with the weather seal and hi res mode with the 5. They are both about the same price . Just wondering how much Hi res mode gets used? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. I know many will say go with the E-m1 ll, but that is just not in my budget.

Thanks

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:21 PM
Wilbus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hi Res mode

Don't have a body with high res mode my self but even so it is one of the selling points for me. I met with an "Olympus Visionary" in Sweden a couple of weeks ago who showed me some quite amazing shots made with the high res mode, he used it for moving water in streams amongst other things. Capturing images that actually no other camera could have thanks to the sensor shift so it is not ONLY made for stills in studio or static landscapes.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how much a difference there is between the sensor engines. It's more or less the same sensor, I wouldn't be surprised if it's exactly the same sensor and maybe even the same engine as it would make sense to use all te "old" tech from the E-M5 Mark II and sell it in a new cheaper body. Good way to save money.

You'll get high res, you'll get superb weather sealing if you use it with a weather sealed les (and I do mean superb weather sealing). You get a much better EVF in the E-M5 Mark II, the same EVF as is in the E-M1. I am guessing the camera will be a bit more responsive as well although the E-M10 is no slouch.

You can compare the image quality over at DPReview, https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m10-mark-iii/7 just make sure you change one of the cameras to the E-M5 II. For me, there is zero difference in image quality when looking at those comparisons.
The E-M10 is a little bit smaller btw if that is what you are after, not a whole lot but for some it would make a difference.

For me it would e an easy choice if they were at the same price.

Oct 17, 2017 at 04:45 AM
takomaru

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hi Res mode

I used an E-M5 Mark II as my entry camera to m43, but when I bought the new 1II, the high res mode didn't come close; as I recall way too many artefacts and it did not have the ability to shoot water as the top of the line has now, also do check specs as the file is different from the new flagship...I sold mine and bought the EM-1 MarII, and a PenF, really like both and are not a substute for the other systems I use. The Olys are terrific in what they do, but I like all the function provided with the flagship...regards, takomaru

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwalsh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hi Res mode

High-res mode is an evolving technology. For the E-M5II it certainly works but really needs to be tripod mounted and really needs a very static scene. Moving water on the E-M5II typically gives artifacts. These are pretty easy to clean up with localized reduction of sharpening and addition of blur. But it is sort of a pain.

Leaf motion similar issue but harder to deal with. For things like that the solution is that the camera provides both the HiRes RAW file plus the RAW file for the very first exposure of the stack of 8. You can upsample the single exposure to the size of the high res - naturally it won't be anywhere near as sharp or have the same detail - and then stack that with the HiRes as a layer and "paint" the upsampled single exposure over artifacts. Since the artifacts are where things were moving anyway they should be a bit blurred and this usually works OK. Again - a pain.

Apparently the E-M1II has a much improved algorithm for dealing with motion in HiRes shots and thus you are much less likely to be dealing with motion artifacts by hand in post processing. I don't have any experience with the E-M1II myself though - I only own the E-M5II.

If choosing between the E-M5II and the E-M10III then I think I'd almost for certain choose the E-M5II. If the E-M10III came with the 20MP sensor then there would be a difficult choice to make, but it doesn't and has a 16MP sensor with essentially the same performance as the sensor in the E-M5II. So I'll take HiRes, weather sealing and all the other goodies in the E-M5II for the same price.

For reference right now the best guess is that the E-M5III will probably show up in the spring. Totally a guess, no one knows, just based on previous length of product cycle. Not sure that would depress prices on the E-M5II significantly, the E-M5II has been selling at a good price for awhile now leaving plenty of room for a new model selling at full MSRP for a good long while.

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:52 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hi Res mode

If you get an E-M5, also get the Fotodiox Pro Metal Black Camera Hand Grip on Amazon for $30. It really improves the ergonomics.

Oct 17, 2017 at 04:02 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hi Res mode

smkunder wrote:
Well after a lot of reading and asking a bunch of questions, I think I have narrowed my jump into M4/3 down to two bodies. This will be a grab and go system to go along with my Nikon system so I am not looking to replace my Nikon system as of yet. So I think it comes down to the E-M5 ll or the E-M10 lll. My dilemma is whether to go with the newest sensor engine in the 10 , or go with the weather seal and hi res mode with the 5. They are both about the
...Show more

My personal experience is with the E-M1.i and the E-M5.ii. I can vouch for the weather proofing of the E-M5.ii; it really works. I have used the Hi Res mode on numerous occasions. It requires thoughtful and accurate focusing to get best results. As far as the artifacts are concerned, they are real but relatively easy to deal with. The HiRes mode image is accompanied by a standard 16MB raw file which can be uprezzed to match the HiRes shot and then used to mask out any artifacts. This approach greatly increases the utility of the images. My previous camera(s) were Canon 5Dii and shooting the E-M5.ii is a hoot in comparison. You won't go back.

Oct 17, 2017 at 04:28 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password