Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · D850 motion blur question.....

Blakehfreeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D850 motion blur question.....

Monopod with the 200?!!... just lost a little respect for you .

J.Marcus Photo wrote:
Well it sounds like I'll be ok. I'm not having problems getting sharp photos anymore with the d810. I had to start using a monopod with my 200f2 but that's mostly so I can always shoot at 64 ISO. Most other lenses I can still shoot at 1/400th and still be at 64 ISO handheld.

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:21 PM
J.Marcus Photo
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D850 motion blur question.....

Lol! It really does suck but I guess I'm just a shaky shooter after all!

Blakehfreeman wrote:
Monopod with the 200?!!... just lost a little respect for you .

Oct 17, 2017 at 09:32 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D850 motion blur question.....

QUESTION: Regarding the latest AF system from Nikon, are the D5, D500 and now the D850 the only DSLR's that have that newest AF system?

arbitrage wrote:
The battery grips are more of a rarity than the camera itself.

In considering the D850 one does need to ask themselves how often they will make use of the MPs. This can come in different ways....for someone doing a lot of cropping you have to figure out how often you will actually use more than the DX frame (otherwise just stick with D500).....for someone that readily uses most or all of the FX frame then you have to consider how often your technique, lenses and output size will take advantage of the extra MPs (over a D810 or D750 etc).
...Show more

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:56 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D850 motion blur question.....

bs kite wrote:
QUESTION: Regarding the latest AF system from Nikon, are the D5, D500 and now the D850 the only DSLR's that have that newest AF system?

Yes. The D7500 stuck with the older type of system (51 points, 15 x-type). We shall see what a D750 update gets.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D850 motion blur question.....

It seems that people are overlooking the fact that a shorter than normal focal length lens diminishes or will de-magnify objects in the image. That is why a longer shutter speed can be used and not have the results visible in a print.

I have the D850 and before that the D810 and before it the D800e and shoot with focal lengths from 12mm to 1200mm using lenses with VR and most without VR. VR definitely helps when there is image magnification involved but I differentiate between motion blur of the camera and that from movement of the subject and again from blur that is going to be impossible not to see in a print on a wall.

Even with VR if I use a shutter speed slower than 1/80s the odds of having visible subject motion blur when photographing people goes way up. I learned this from experience shooting weddings in what is very often very low light. With the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II lens I still had to exercise great care at shutter speeds slower than 1/125s to get as many keepers as possible. VR is not a substitute for good technique.

One thing missing from the D850 is in-camera optical stabilization. I have seen first hand how well the Olympus E-M1 with its 5-axis internal stabilization works with non IS lenses and how incredibly well it works in tandem with a IS lens. I have very sharp images taken with the 300mm f/4 with IS (full frame 600mm f/4 equivalent) on the E-M1 Mk II with a shutter speed of 1/8s and shooting hand held. Even with the advanced VR in my 600mm f/4 VR lens I cannot imagine getting sharp pictures shooting hand held with my D750 at 1/4s or anything close to that shutter speed.

I hope that the successors to the D5, D850, D750, D7500, D610, etc. will have in-camera OS in the near future. If Olympus can provide in-camera 5-axis OS with its $1100 E-M5 Mark II MFT camera then Nikon certainly should be able to provide it in most of its DSLR cameras.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:32 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D850 motion blur question.....

elkhornsun wrote:
It seems that people are overlooking the fact that a shorter than normal focal length lens diminishes or will de-magnify objects in the image. That is why a longer shutter speed can be used and not have the results visible in a print.

I have the D850 and before that the D810 and before it the D800e and shoot with focal lengths from 12mm to 1200mm using lenses with VR and most without VR. VR definitely helps when there is image magnification involved but I differentiate between motion blur of the camera and that from movement of the subject and
...Show more

I think the best you could hope for is seeing IBIS in the future Nikon mirrorless camera. I doubt it will come to future DSLRs (if it is even possible with a mirror moving around all the time).

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:12 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.