New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Boat in Baltimre

liubinglun

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Boat in Baltimre

Critiques and comments are welcome. Thanks.

Oct 16, 2017 at 01:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Boat in Baltimre

That's a tall ship. Not sure about having it so far to the right however.

Oct 16, 2017 at 01:59 PM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Boat in Baltimre

Light is kind of dull. Maybe when the sun is a little higher?

Kelly

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Boat in Baltimre

I think the scene is more than just about the boat, but rather the overall harbor ambiance for the time of day.

The OP tonal value and mass of the sky commands a lot of attention compared to the boat and the smaller components in the scene.

A few tweaks for some rebalancing of the relationships between tonal value and mass, trying to employ the various components in the scene to evoke an overall harbor evening vibe.

As to the ship on the right ... I think that this has a very nice utilization of asymmetrical balance. But, since the smaller items are so small, their dependence on tonal value relationships increases. I can actually see nice geometric mean relationships in the balance, once the tonal values are adjusted a bit to help us move about more.

I suspect these relationships are what motivated your capture / composition (vs. a portrait of the vessel) with regard to the overall harbor evening, which I find to be a very nice comp to leisurely move about. We even have some very nice lines to help us get to & fro (i.e. the tree-line / other boats @ L-R, the pier leading to the ship, the mast shadow in the water to lead us back up, etc.), the mast to take us to & fro the sky, etc.)

All in all, I'd say your eye for the scene composition was quite nice.

The challenge then becomes contending with the tonal values that the lighting (doesn't) presents in the OP capture. The upside, is there is sufficient latitude to work it a bit to take it where you may want it to go. Here is but one possible rendering.

Oct 17, 2017 at 09:36 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Boat in Baltimre

I like Kent's commentary and rework.
I would be tempted to lift the shadows on the boat judiciously for a bit more life. But for my prefernce, I would have wanted an earlier capture.

Scott

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:31 AM
liubinglun

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Boat in Baltimre

Thank you all for these useful comments and suggestions.

Oct 17, 2017 at 04:37 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.