FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

My wife and I did one of our favorite autumn hikes Saturday, up Lundy Canyon in the eastern Sierra near Mono Lake. Last time we hiked here was 4 years ago, and while colors were a bit past peak, the canyon and hike were still gorgeous. It was really crowded in the canyon, and we met some great people during the day. Here are a few pics from the day. I didn't lug my tripod and other 'waterfall' gear with me, so the waterfall pics are taken handheld at about 1/8 second. I was using a tamron 24-70 g2 for these, good thing it has image stabilization. C&C always welcome....

View up the northern side of the canyon. Still tons of water flowing even at this late date....

Beaver dammed pond, looking west up the canyon...these colors would have been even more vibrant a week or two ago...

Side view of lower falls. There was some ice on the sides of the falls in the shade, and you had to be careful where you stepped near the falls....

Lower falls, handheld. I tried a variety of shutter speeds, didn't get any better looking with anything slower...

View from the terminus of our hike further up the canyon. You can keep hiking up from here, but the trail basically becomes loose scree and switchbacks up the side of the canyon wall...so no thanks.

View down the canyon...

Oct 16, 2017 at 01:13 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

Very nice series. Haven't made it up that far yet, but after seeing these images, it's on my list of places to visit.

Oct 16, 2017 at 09:56 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

Fred, if you go to Mono Lake you should definitely check out Lundy. It is spectacular, and I'm not really doing it justice. We had heard that colors were peaking, but in reality we were a week or two late....but still an amazing place. Not an easy hike to the end of the trail however, some technical spots and a decent climb up, and you start at about 8k feet..but worth it.

Oct 16, 2017 at 09:59 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

cohenfive wrote:
Fred, if you go to Mono Lake you should definitely check out Lundy. It is spectacular, and I'm not really doing it justice. We had heard that colors were peaking, but in reality we were a week or two late....but still an amazing place. Not an easy hike to the end of the trail however, some technical spots and a decent climb up, and you start at about 8k feet..but worth it.

Appreciate the additional info. Have been to Mono Lake, but completely missed Lundy Canyon. Won't make that mistake again.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:10 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

The forth one with the fall is good. I'd just take it (all, actually) at different time. I wonder if it's too late to go there this coming weekend?

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:21 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

If you are thinking of going, I'd say go even if past peak colors. As you can see it is an amazing canyon regardless, and a really nice hike...just not easy. I didn't take much camera gear with me, hence the handheld waterfall pics. Only had my d810 with 24-70 attached and my 14-24...nothing else but water, clif bars and sandwiches.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:58 AM
StephenS_CP
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

I took the hike just today. Aspen color is intense up as far as the Lake. Above the lake it is well past prime although there is some really good red in the Aspen approaching the Miner's cabin.

Weather forecast through Saturday is a weak front blowing from the southwest today/tonight. It has blown dense smoke in...could barely see across Mono Lake today. Later this weak stronger, but still short, fast moving front from the north is supposed to blow through but no rain. Don't know if this will bring the leaves down in Lundy Canyon or the June Lake Loop.

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:39 AM
Prashant Verma
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

I hiked it on Sunday (15th). It was my first time on this hike and there were not many people early in the morning, so lost my way a few times. I am definitely looking forward to going again.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:41 PM
alexsl

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

The second one is just great!

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:43 PM
gpelpel
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

Missed Lundy Canyon this year, too tired after a 4 days Eastern Sierra trip. But Lundy is surely one of my favorite spots.
I don't care much about the lake but anything above the campground is marvelous. There are beaver dams, beaver ponds for reflection shots, groves for fisheye shots from ground level up to the sky, beaver cut trees, a beautiful trail, a nice waterfall, and a super photogenic canyon lined by aspen.

Nice series of images!

Oct 19, 2017 at 01:00 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lundy Canyon, Eastern Sierra of California

Thanks. It is one of our favorite hikes. We got a later start than was ideal, but I didn't really care is it is always gorgeous there. Next fall we want to hike to Parker lake, have heard that is spectacular as well. We have a house in Reno so normally do this as a day trip, which probably means timing on light is not ideal...oh well, still a great place.

Oct 19, 2017 at 01:07 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.