FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Cool Flame

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cool Flame

This was shot at sunrise at a favorite location of mine in Arizona when the sky blew up absurdly on the right. It was so intense that I took my eyes off my composition to turn and look away for a mesmerizing moment. Then when I looked back I could not believe the intensity of blood red hitting the butte in the background of my composition! I both bracketed heavily for dynamic range (insurance) and did a 10 shot focus stack (Canon [email protected]).

The finished result is quite close to what I witnessed but in post processing it was NOT easy to get everything just right. Separately the 10 image focus stack, then the land temperature and tonality, then the exact Red blasting the Butte, and then the sky all had to be separately processed and carefully masked into the scene (in Raw and Photoshop). Many techniques were employed here to overcome the severe limitations of the single shot. If you would like to see how this was processed from Raw to completion, just look me up...

Sony A7R2
Canon [email protected]
f/8
200 ISO
Varying shutter speeds
10 image focus stack

All the best and Great Light to you!

I hope everyone is enjoying photographing Fall, and even more importantly experiencing the beauty out there!

Oct 16, 2017 at 04:45 PM
Lynn Ross
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cool Flame

Mark you sure have a lust for moody photo's, this is nice.

Lynn

Oct 16, 2017 at 05:10 PM
gordon l
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cool Flame

Good effort pays off. This is a very solid image and I can see wonderful sharp detail in the cracks at my feet and in the distant cliffs. Nice job Mark!

Oct 16, 2017 at 05:29 PM
erielake
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cool Flame

beautiful image Mark, looks a lot crisper here than on 500px.....i've caught reds like that in Zion and i know how hard they are to get right and you nailed them here

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:31 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cool Flame

Wow, Mark
Superb rendition of the scene
Harsha

Oct 17, 2017 at 01:12 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cool Flame

That's really nice. I might've been tempted to shoot that crazy sunset sky, but I'm glad you stuck with your original comp. The mix of warm and cool tones here along with that austere sky is just superb.

Oct 18, 2017 at 09:09 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cool Flame

Lovely scene and great blending! I'm really feeling the Southwest calling me!
Dave

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cool Flame

What a beauty Mark! Amazing shadow detail, lighting and overall composition.

Oct 18, 2017 at 04:56 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cool Flame

Killer shot! Love your processing and comp.

Dave

Oct 18, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cool Flame

First of all thank you everyone for taking the time to give your comments here. Sorry I am so hit and miss (seems to be the case a lot) not only am I moving into another house at the very moment, but I fly to Oregon for my Fall Workshops tomorrow/Monday and will be gone, on the road, 3 weeks, then back to Florida. I <b>LOVE</b> my job but it is a crazy lifestyle for sure! I feel like I am always running!

I hope everyone is enjoying their Fall shooting immensely...

Lynn Ross wrote:
Mark you sure have a lust for moody photo's, this is nice.

Lynn

Yes, I do. Doing this as a profession for over a decade now I know that some of the more subtle stuff just does not get the attention as the dramatic (even though I love it) so we are sort of forced to always be trying to shoot heroic moments of light. I love them when they come, but I love subtle work just as much honestly.

As per my Video Tutorial on this image, it was a bit of a challenge to get to look correct. Sometimes our cameras completely fail us in representing the powerful wonder we get to see/experience and we need special skills to get that back. Such was the case here big time.

Thank you again!

Oct 22, 2017 at 05:52 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cool Flame

gordon l wrote:
Good effort pays off. This is a very solid image and I can see wonderful sharp detail in the cracks at my feet and in the distant cliffs. Nice job Mark!

Thank you Gordon! Focus stacking + great lens + freakish moment of light = gratitude.

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:00 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cool Flame

erielake wrote:
beautiful image Mark, looks a lot crisper here than on 500px.....i've caught reds like that in Zion and i know how hard they are to get right and you nailed them here

Thank you very much! It took a tweak or two as my "Complete Workflow From A to Z" discloses.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:31 PM
psharvic
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cool Flame

Your effort on this paid off, Mark. Good luck with your OR trip.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:08 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cool Flame

Spiritual Mark! Excellent composition!
Dan

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:16 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password