New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

denzar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

İn some posts ı read pixel density effect when using telephoto lenses on photos; in practice ı bought 600 mm f4 ıı and considered to use with 5dsr and extender for reach and crop ( or 7d2 ) ı also have 1dx2 ; any benefits of that bodies shoud ı consider one of them ; if what s that pixel density effect? Thanks

Oct 16, 2017 at 06:43 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

the 600 f/4 is ii isn't impacted.

Oct 16, 2017 at 06:49 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

dolina wrote:
the 600 f/4 is ii isn't impacted.

I thought impacted was for teeth?

Oct 16, 2017 at 08:48 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

Here is an old post that has some info on using the 5Dsr vs the 7DII with a 600II. Conclusion was that you are better off cropping the 5Dsr instead of using the 7DII. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1417002

But I think it is going to depend. Good light and no need for high fps, I would go with the 5Dsr, with or without the TC. Need high ISO or more fps, switch to the 1Dx2.

I would put the 7DII last, where you need high fps and high pixel density.

In general, I think the consensus on these boards is that the 600II takes the TC so well, that you would add the TC rather than crop.

Mark

Oct 16, 2017 at 08:57 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

Daniel Smith wrote:
I thought impacted was for teeth?

Or asteroids.

Oct 16, 2017 at 09:28 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

Generally the question asked is along the lines: Would I be better using a 5DsR + 600 II or a 1DX/II + 600II + 1.4x. The 5DsR puts nearly 3x as many pixels on the subject, so is effectively a 1.7x TC compared to the 1DX (1.6x for 1DXII). Thus even using a bare 600 II, the pixel density of the 5DsR is still great enough that it will put more pixels on the subject than even the 600 II + 1.4x on the 1DX/II. So is the AF of the 5DsR + 600II, better than that of the 1DX/II + 600II + 1.4x. I would say yes (not sure about 1DXII) and it will be much better than if you have to add the 2x to the lens, which is the only way to get more pixels on the subject than the 5DsR + bare lens. Being able to shoot with the lens at f/4 rather than f/5.6, also allows 1 stop lower ISO, although you’ll probably use a higher shutter speed on 5DsR, so some of that advantage will be lost, but you still have more pixels to play with and won’t have to crop as hard which helps IQ a lot.

Oct 16, 2017 at 04:56 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

denzar wrote:
İn some posts ı read pixel density effect when using telephoto lenses on photos; in practice ı bought 600 mm f4 ıı and considered to use with 5dsr and extender for reach and crop ( or 7d2 ) ı also have 1dx2 ; any benefits of that bodies shoud ı consider one of them ; if what s that pixel density effect? Thanks

The pixel density of the 5DSR and 7D2 are almost identical. So from a purely pixels on the subject they are equal. However, the 5DSR doesn't have the AA filter effect so is a little sharper in the RAW file.
If you can fill more than the 7D2's APS-C frame than the 5DSR starts giving you more pixels.
However, the 5DSR is only 5FPS at the best of times (goes down to 3FPS at 50% battery) and is slow to show images on the rear screen. You also are always dealing with large files which is a bit of a waste if you would always be cropping them to 7D2 size or smaller.

Oct 16, 2017 at 06:38 PM
denzar
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

Thanks everybody

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:26 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Generally the question asked is along the lines: Would I be better using a 5DsR + 600 II or a 1DX/II + 600II + 1.4x. The 5DsR puts nearly 3x as many pixels on the subject, so is effectively a 1.7x TC compared to the 1DX (1.6x for 1DXII). Thus even using a bare 600 II, the pixel density of the 5DsR is still great enough that it will put more pixels on the subject than even the 600 II + 1.4x on the 1DX/II. So is the AF of the 5DsR + 600II, better than that of the
...Show more

To double the resolution of a 20 MP camera you need 80 MP.

Oct 23, 2017 at 09:25 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

Andrew J wrote:
To double the resolution of a 20 MP camera you need 80 MP.

Yes, which is why I said to put more pixels on a subject than the 5DsR you need to add a 2x TC to the 1DX/II, which automatically implies 2x the resolution and effectively quadruples the pixel count of your camera when FL limited.

Oct 23, 2017 at 09:35 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera pixel density vs telephoto lens

Pixel Perfect wrote:
to put more pixels on a subject than the 5DsR you need to

Shoot an 80D.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.