Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2017 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

jcolwell wrote:
My four-year old i7 3770 is feeling particularly spritely, since I upped it last week to 32 GB and added two 500 GB SSD's, for ghosted-system and workspace.

I've a same generation i5-3570K, overclocked a bit admittedly. It's now over 5 years old, and i keep thinking i should upgrade it, but everything runs fine. Admittedly LR could use a bit more juice, but it's not anywhere near slow enough to justify the cost of upgrading. I'm starting to seriously consider putting off my next upgrade until MS totally ceases Win7 support in 2 years or so and i have to upgrade. Or the computer dies.

How things have changed since the mid 90's, when i upgraded every 12 to 18 months driven by a constant need for more performance.

Nov 01, 2017 at 05:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

15Bit wrote:
... I'm starting to seriously consider putting off my next upgrade until MS totally ceases Win7 support in 2 years or so and i have to upgrade. Or the computer dies.

How things have changed since the mid 90's, when i upgraded every 12 to 18 months driven by a constant need for more performance.

Same here.

Nov 01, 2017 at 06:26 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

My first build was early 2003 and lasted to 2012 when I simply got so fed up with performance that I built a new rig which I still use today. It probably consumes more power than an equivalent modern processor but with the huge amount of RAM, a couple of speedy SSDs and a hex-core processor it still crunches data very very well.

The only things that died in both computers were the predictable ones: cooling solutions and power sources.

Desktops are pretty mature! More money for emergent camera systems

Nov 01, 2017 at 11:16 PM
technic
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

jcolwell wrote:
Same here.

Same here as well. In the early nineties I used Windows NT workstations with Digital Alpha processor etc., nowadays I'm using a miniPC with dual Atom cpu, way behind in performance but it works (and probably still faster than those Alpha processors, for a fraction of the price and power use). Have resisted upgrading as long as possible, last time was 7 years ago or so. Same for most software: I prefer working with older software that I know very well over new programs with many things I don't need and a new learning trajectory because they change to much of the old stuff.

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:48 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

jcolwell wrote:
My four-year old i7 3770 is feeling particularly spritely, since I upped it last week to 32 GB and added two 500 GB SSD's, for ghosted-system and workspace.

Same here.

I have a gently OC'd 3770k (@4.2?) and 32GB's RAM with an SSD boot and two 250GB SSD's in JBOD to which I download cards.

All's good.

But if I were doing it again it'd all be high spec notebook for portability.

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:05 AM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

So, the question remains unanswered. Aren't DSLRs there now? Why do some feel the need to always own the latest model. Do the top pros feel that need?

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

John Power wrote:
So, the question remains unanswered. Aren't DSLRs there now? Why do some feel the need to always own the latest model. Do the top pros feel that need?

I upgrade as needed. I pre-ordered a new 1DX in 2012, because my 1DsIII wasn't fast enough for action photography, shooting alongside my 1DIV. I sold the 1DX in 2017, because I have migrated away from action photography, and it was good timing for selling a 1DX (peak value). I just bought a new 5DS because, (i) I'm doing mostly scenic photography, now (my 2x 6D still work fine for events etc.), and (ii) the price was too good to pass (half of retail list price).

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:27 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

technic wrote:
Same here as well. In the early nineties I used Windows NT workstations with Digital Alpha processor etc.,

Same here. What's the odds?

We also had a DEC 20 with TOPS 20 - best OS I've ever used.

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:29 AM
stevesanacore
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

John Power wrote:

I will buy the latest body or lens if its something that has features I miss now. it's also exciting to have the latest gear (if it's an upgrade). If it's technically superior then it's a no-brainer. If you are making a living with your cameras, then the cost is just not as relevant if the gear will help you work faster, or get better results. That's a very personal choice. I do enjoy having new toys, others may not. It also depends on what you shoot and the market you work in.

To me the most important features for buying a new body are faster more foolproof focus and more dynamic range to get better files under more extreme conditions. Any step in that direction is certainly worth it to me. I think AF has certainly reach a level of perfection, but dynamic range has a long way to go.

To "top pros" it's irrelevant as they just rent the latest gear or buy it if it's more convenient.. Big budget shoots have line items for gear rental. The cost is insignificant and can pay off gear in one or two shoots in addition to their fees. Nice huh? For the rest of us working slobs, we have to pay it off over a much longer period :-)

Nov 02, 2017 at 10:25 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

^^^

In my world quite a few "pros" do a sort of cost:benefit analysis before upgrading. They do upgrade when they think it will make a difference, but they frequently decide to bypass upgrades that don't, especially when the upgrades are costly.

When it comes to the possibility that gear will "help you work faster, or bet better results," folks tend to be a bit more practical when their income depends on it. How much is that "better" worth. How much faster is faster?

Nov 02, 2017 at 10:29 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

That's right, Dan. Pros squeeze out as much life as possible from gear - agencies can be a little different where photogs don't personally own the gear.

Nov 02, 2017 at 10:40 PM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

Is it also a matter of familiarity with your equipment and know all if its capabilities and idiosyncrasies based on experience with it i.e. how to get the most out of it rather than have to learn a new piece of equipment. I am talking about now, not the digital camera world of 10-15 years ago.

Nov 03, 2017 at 07:12 AM
technic
• • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

stevesanacore wrote:
I will buy the latest body or lens if its something that has features I miss now. it's also exciting to have the latest gear (if it's an upgrade). If it's technically superior then it's a no-brainer. If you are making a living with your cameras, then the cost is just not as relevant if the gear will help you work faster, or get better results. That's a very personal choice. I do enjoy having new toys, others may not. It also depends on what you shoot and the market you work in.

To me the most important features for buying
...Show more

I mostly agree with the above. Over the last ten years, I have seen very little reason to upgrade because for my main applications newer Canon bodies have offered very little upgrade incentive over my 450D. The main factor was that for my "action" shots of flying dragonflies AF even in the latest models is almost useless (I still use MF most of the time) while for my other subjects like landscape/cityscape the AF in older DSLRs is sufficient (using Liveview for best accuracy). I upgraded my 450D to 80D because it had a fatal shutter failure; the only real improvements were the flip screen (great for my joints and definitely allows many shots that were impossible before) and increased dynamic range at low ISO (in practice hardly useful for me). RAW image quality of the 80D, especially at high ISO, is hardly better than with the much older 450D IMHO.

For me an upgrade is worth it if I think it will provide much better image quality or higher keeper rate; but expectations can be totally wrong. Upgrading my 4/300IS for the 100-400II proved a big mistake, and I don't think upgrading the 80D will improve my dragonfly action shots until we get something very different. This might require mirrorless cameras with more computer power aboard than what we have now, until then I have to stick to MF. For high frame rates same story, the 5>7 fps increase from 450D to 80D proved insignificant for me and I guess only 20-30 fps would help me get more good shots. With 7 fps, at best just one shot is reasonably in focus and in the frame ...

With my background on the gear side, I'm sometimes tempted to try new equipment and hope for the best and I would be interested to try out e.g. a D500 or D850 with the 4/300PF, or Sony A7R3 with suitable lens, but there is no affordable way to arrange that over here

And I definitely agree with John Power above. In the late nineties and early 2000's I upgraded yearly despite having to learn a new camera. It was worth is most of the time due to the fast technological progress (of course most cameras were a bit less complicated than they are now). All cameras had strange issues, you just accepted that as part of the deal (and at the time, I was usually aware of the potential problems with specific models). Nowadays, I find that most new equipment has strange quirks that almost nobody knows about and that you sometimes cannot work around either, and that even if you stay with the same brand many controls can change between models. Working with existing equipment that you are familiar with has its advantages.

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:42 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

John Power wrote:

I'm guessing "no"
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:34 PM
technic
• • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

stevesanacore wrote:
I'm totally confused here. What could be bad for society if everything is documented as it happens? It seems to me that knowing the truth is a good thing and leads to more transparency in government and life in general. As for the days when smashing your camera and taking the film - it's too late now as the shots are up in the cloud almost as fast as the shutter is snapped! Think of what it would be like if JFK was shot in todays world. We would probably have hundreds of videos and photos of that moment. It
...Show more

I have no problems with people using smartphones, only with the pervasive government spying and manipulation that is enabled by this technology. Government nowadays doesn't care about smartphone pictures documenting their brutality, the courts will simply ignore it or if it really stings, pay the people who posted the pictures a visit like in the old days. They and the courts will only use the evidence that suits them (just as in the JFK case ...).

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:54 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

technic wrote:
I have no problems with people using smartphones, only with the pervasive government spying and manipulation that is enabled by this technology. Government nowadays doesn't care about smartphone pictures documenting their brutality, the courts will simply ignore it or if it really stings, pay the people who posted the pictures a visit like in the old days. They and the courts will only use the evidence that suits them (just as in the JFK case ...).

I put black tape on smartphone lenses as well as laptop lenses.
It is a low tech solution.

EBH

Nov 05, 2017 at 08:17 AM
stevesanacore
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

technic wrote:

Well it works both ways I guess and I agree that it's the government that has the last word in most cases. Sometimes I wonder what it will be like in 100 years when technology is probably ten times more invasive than it is now. I always believed that truth and transparency are good things. Just not sure we are ready for it yet.

Nov 05, 2017 at 09:20 AM
technic
• • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

EB-1 wrote:
I put black tape on smartphone lenses as well as laptop lenses.
It is a low tech solution.

EBH

I do the same, but that only helps for your own gear, in the privacy of your own home.
---------------------------------------------

stevesanacore wrote:
Well it works both ways I guess and I agree that it's the government that has the last word in most cases. Sometimes I wonder what it will be like in 100 years when technology is probably ten times more invasive than it is now. I always believed that truth and transparency are good things. Just not sure we are ready for it yet.

I'm all for truth and transparency, but only if it works in both directions. Smartphones, Google, Facebook, Twitter etc. monopolize government spying and control while suggesting the opposite to clueless users (that they are spreading 'freedom', 'power to the people' etc.). The Cloud and all that goes with it makes for Big Brother on steroids, or Stasi version 3.0 (2.0 being the NSA and their friends in other Western countries). And it's tough to keep completely safe, e.g. the EXIF is a bit like the cookies in an internet browser; I keep the GPS of my camera switched off but removing all EXIFs has its own problems.

In 100 years most people (or should I say 'drones'?) can probably be switched off at any notice through their internal Facebook button. Or everyone gets a mandatory suicide gene (or super-oxytocin gene?) inserted at birth that activates when you haven't paid your mortgage or taxes, or when they detect your opinions are no longer politically correct. Technological progress is great and such options are just around the corner;-)

Nov 05, 2017 at 10:04 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

^^^

And I thought this was a photography forum... ;-)

Nov 05, 2017 at 10:20 AM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2016?

This thread used to be...

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:10 PM
       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.