New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Flight case reco for 3-4 Profoto B1s?

sungphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flight case reco for 3-4 Profoto B1s?

I have some travel coming up and plan on bringing the new profoto lighting kit with me.

I'm kind of torn between these two setups:

1) Pelican 1615 Air: advantage in terms of durability and crush protection obviously, and with the lower weight of the new Air series I could put all 4 B1s in it along with remotes, and a few other things and stay under 50 lbs as a checked bag. Disadvantage from the other setup I am thinking about is that there is a lot of wasted space - would be nice to be able to fit a couple modifiers and speed rings in there too. I briefly looked at the 1650 but the weight difference is at least one strobe.

2) Think Tank Logistics Manager 40: I'd prob want to keep it down to three B1s in this setup, as I could then use the remaining space and weight for things like modifiers, speed rings, etc. I think I'd put two 1x3 profoto strips, a 2x3 softbox, and 1-2 medium umbrellas. That way I could use my second checked bag solely for 3 decent light stands, portable backdrop, collapsible reflector, and a 3-4 ft octa in a shipping tube (which tends to by my most used modifier).

What do y'all think?

Oct 16, 2017 at 02:13 AM
stuuke
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flight case reco for 3-4 Profoto B1s?

I've gone back and forth on the same setup. I have the LM40 and right now it holds 4 AcuteB2 packs and heads but I've thought about using it for my B1s. I think the Pelican would be a better choice for flying but the TT is rock solid. Not that it makes a huge difference but which camera bag do you plan on using? Are you going to use a cart once you get to the location or do you plan on carrying your camera bag, stand case and strobes yourself?

Oct 16, 2017 at 05:35 PM
sungphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flight case reco for 3-4 Profoto B1s?

My flight camera bag is usually either a Think Tank Airport Security or International depending on how much gear I'm traveling with. I've found that the Security gets more scrutiny even on domestic flights because it's built right on the limit of carry-on restrictions, so I've been leaning more towards my international when I can to reduce my level of stress haha.

My next commercial shoot out of state will have a couple assistants (or at the very least one assistant and a producer with able hands haha). I tend to lean more towards bags that have integrated rollers just to get them from point A to B where the cart is not allowed or feasible. Also I typically am flying out alone - and being able to be more efficient with my baggage with something like the production manager 40 would make checking in a bit less of a nightmare.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like I should just get both rather than try to figure out one perfect bag/case for everything. However, probably makes most sense to get the TT Production Manager 40 first, because I can use it for both around town on location, and on flights as a checked bag (and the B1s with enough padding around them should be fine even checked in the TT). And then I can use the pelican for shoots around town where I'm not so constrained on baggage, as well as for storing the B1s at home.

What has your experience been traveling with the TT Logistics Manager 40? Any loves/hates?

Oct 16, 2017 at 06:48 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password