New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Little help with my AD360 and HSS :)

crashwins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Little help with my AD360 and HSS :)

Hi folks - anyone have experience with this unit?

I'm running an AD360 and a 48" Octa (double diffuser) and in HSS mode I can't run less than 1/8 power...This is a bit of a hassle for tight headshots where I might want to shoot at F2 or F2.8. Outside of throwing some ND on the lens, is there any solution here? I could underexpose it, but that seems sloppy. I'm surprised the minimum power here is 1/8 and I'd hate to upgrade the monolight when I don't need any more power! Thanks. Here's an example. I could bring the Octa back some, but the closer the softer, so I thought anyway...

Oct 15, 2017 at 09:45 PM
sungphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Little help with my AD360 and HSS :)

ND

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:19 PM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Little help with my AD360 and HSS :)

That's a great shot. Sung is advising you ND the light, which is what I've long done with my 360s in exactly your situation. As a related aside, the TTL 360 lights allow down to 1/128 in HSS. Something to consider.

Oct 16, 2017 at 02:57 AM
crashwins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Little help with my AD360 and HSS :)

jlafferty wrote:
That's a great shot. Sung is advising you ND the light, which is what I've long done with my 360s in exactly your situation. As a related aside, the TTL 360 lights allow down to 1/128 in HSS. Something to consider.

Thanks! Good call. I have a Rovelight once, which was also problematic. Its minimum was 1/16 in HSS, if I recall, and it was too powerful too. It really only worked well for fitness-type shots where I might be shooting at F8 or something to get extra environmental detail. So that's a thought..How much ND would I be looking at, though? Like a .3, right?

Oct 16, 2017 at 01:25 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Little help with my AD360 and HSS :)

yeah .3 would be a good place to start. You can always stack the ND gels on top of each other if you want to cut it down by more. One of the things that I dislike about this design bare bulb strobe is that there isn't a great way to use gels with them (if you're not using a reflector). I would always just kind of make a little tent with my gels and gaffer tape, but obviously not ideal.

Oct 16, 2017 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password