end

Archive 2017 · Need Help Selecting new DSLR Kit

technic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Need Help Selecting new DSLR Kit

Patrick Cox wrote:
Hello,
I am thinking about a new camera kit but I have been away from photography for awhile so I could use some advice. I currently have a Sony a6000 with a few lenses that I plan to sell. My reason for selling the Sony is I would like to move back to a DSLR.

My plan is to buy a body and an upgraded "kit" lens and then I may later add an ultra wide angle zoom and then a telephoto zoom. (So 3 zoom kit.) I am also thinking I could go either way regarding FF vs APS-C. So
...Show more

I have the 80D with 15-85IS and I'm considering switching to a D7500 or D500 with the 16-80VR instead: the 16-80VR is a sharper lens, 1/2-1 stop brighter and significantly lower weight. If the standard zoom is important that makes the Nikon DSLR an easy choice. I use my 15-85 mainly for cityscapes/landscape and general photography (people shots etc.); it is a lens with nice range but especially the WA end is lacking on 24MP sensors. For me the standard zoom is not the most important lens so I'm making the choice based on other factors (e.g. that Nikon has a very light/compact 4/300PF lens that Canon doesn't have). In addition, despite the recent catch-up at Canon, Nikon DSLRs still have better sensors. You really have to consider what other lenses you may need in the near future because even though both Canon and Nikon make great lenses, for specific purpose one or the other may be the better choice.

Where the 80D may be better than Nikon is Liveview (especially the dual-pixel AF, very convenient for e.g. macro shooting but IMHO still a bit immature) and possibly for some types of video use. Ergonomics are very personal so I won't give an opinion about that, IMHO one should be able to work with both systems as long as you don't switch brands constantly (apart from that, within brands ergonomics often differ wildly as well ...).

As to APS-C or FF I don't think you will see much gains from FF using compromised standard zooms like the Nikon 24-120 or Canon 24-105. The brighter 'pro' standard zooms are better but much more expensive and often much heavier as well.

I mentioned D500 because I sometimes see D500 kits with the 16-80VR that are almost the same price as the D7500 with 16-80VR kits ... Based on price and features the D500 seems an easy choice over here, except that the D7500 is lighter and low weight is important to me. Waiting to see if D7500 kit prices come down next year ;-)

Oct 17, 2017 at 09:14 AM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Need Help Selecting new DSLR Kit

technic wrote:
...As to APS-C or FF I don't think you will see much gains from FF using compromised standard zooms like the Nikon 24-120 or Canon 24-105. The brighter 'pro' standard zooms are better but much more expensive and often much heavier as well.

Thanks for your reply. This point you make here is interesting to me. So it sounds like you would say that if I am mainly using F4 zooms, that FF is not going to be a significant benefit for me over APS-C. Am I getting that right? I think what will be important to me about the sensor is dynamic range (ability to capture shadow details when exposing for highlights for example) and then detail.

While I am looking for a bit larger body than the a6000, I want to stay on the small to mid size of DSLRs so the D7500 seems like a good option. On the other hand, it doesn't look like the D750 is that much larger than the D750. I believe the D750 is actually smaller/lighter than the D500.

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:01 PM
technic
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Need Help Selecting new DSLR Kit

Patrick Cox wrote:
Thanks for your reply. This point you make here is interesting to me. So it sounds like you would say that if I am mainly using F4 zooms, that FF is not going to be a significant benefit for me over APS-C. Am I getting that right? I think what will be important to me about the sensor is dynamic range (ability to capture shadow details when exposing for highlights for example) and then detail.

While I am looking for a bit larger body than the a6000, I want to stay on the small to mid size of DSLRs so
...Show more

It's not so much about using f/4 zooms but about using zooms with optically lower quality (because of different design objectives like lower price, larger zoom range etc.); these are usually the slower zooms but not always. I don't know how the Canon 24-70 f/4 zoom performs compared to the f/2.8 version but my impression is that the f/2.8 version is significantly sharper (but if you don't use tripod and work in lower light level, having IS might be a factor in favor of the f/4 lens).

FF bodies nowadays need not be much bigger than the higher quality APS-C models; but once you are adding high quality lenses you will see a big difference. This is also the problem with the Sony FF mirrorless bodies: they are smaller and lighter, but once you add a few high quality FF lenses (and extra batteries ...) a Canon or Nikon FF combo might be smaller/lighter than the Sony option. You can have both FF, high quality and relatively light/compact system, but then you have to use suitable primes (but if you need a wide range of focal lengths, that would not work).

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:19 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Need Help Selecting new DSLR Kit

darryn patch wrote:
I just did the same after not shooting for agood 8 years

I looked at the pros and cons of lots of Canon bodies, as I am familliar with them rather than change systems and start from scratch.

After much tooing and froing weighing up MP, FF v crop, frame rate,AF abillity, IQ, build quality, weather sealing and price, I couldn't go past a 1Ds MkIII

That might be an option

I too did the tooing and froing and weighed the options with megapixels and crop and IQ and I also did a lot of travel like the OP - but decided to go with ........... mirrorless

mirrorless is smaller and lighter and can easily use DSLR lens

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Oct 17, 2017 at 05:45 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Need Help Selecting new DSLR Kit

Pixel Perfect wrote:
...If it has to be DSLR I’d day D750 or D7500 or even a used D810. Crop has cheaper UWA options and 20.9MP is plenty. DR of both sensors is excellent and both have high IQ. If you want Canon I’d probably say 80D, cannot recommend the hugely disppointing 6DII.

I’d also consider something like the Fuji X-T20 as well. Very nice camera and Fuji has excellent lens line-up for crop, unlike Sony which is hardly putting any effort into DX lenses.

Hi, well, you know, I stopped by Best Buy yesterday to check out the Nikon D7500 and they also had the Canon 80D; and to be honest, they both felt large, heavy and bulky in my hands and I really could not see my self lugging one of those around again. I guess I am too far removed from DSLRs to go back - but I would still like to find an enthusiast level camera that is a bit larger than the Sony a6000. So I guess I am back to either a Sony FF or the Fuji X-T2. (Maybe others but not sure.)

I did look again online at the Fuji X-T2 and I noticed the 18-55 lens with OIS and it does sound like that lens gets good reviews. Do you have a Fuji? If so I guess you like it based on your recommendation?

Thanks for any further comments on the Fuji. (Or Sony FF as well.)

Oct 19, 2017 at 06:06 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Need Help Selecting new DSLR Kit

How do you view your images? I have attended some excellent landscape presentations by experienced professionals using Olympus E-M1 mkii or the Panasonic G8 or GH4/5. Projected to a 6-foot (2m) screen I saw nothing that made me think it was inferior to FF DSLR.

http://www.stephenelliottphotography.co.uk/_photo_10408504.html#photos_id=13416762

The advantage of these cameras is that the lenses are made for the format size, with significant size and weight savings. As for the image stabilisation - 2 seconds hand held anyone?
The other advantage I have noticed for travel is that because of the smaller size I get far fewer looks than when I am wielding DSLR for street photography so it is easier to stay in the background.

Oct 19, 2017 at 07:04 AM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Need Help Selecting new DSLR Kit

Mikehit wrote:
How do you view your images? I have attended some excellent landscape presentations by experienced professionals using Olympus E-M1 mkii or the Panasonic G8 or GH4/5. Projected to a 6-foot (2m) screen I saw nothing that made me think it was inferior to FF DSLR.

http://www.stephenelliottphotography.co.uk/_photo_10408504.html#photos_id=13416762

The advantage of these cameras is that the lenses are made for the format size, with significant size and weight savings. As for the image stabilisation - 2 seconds hand held anyone?
The other advantage I have noticed for travel is that because of the smaller size I get far fewer looks than when I am
...Show more

That is very nice work you shared. Thank you. I like to print up to about 16x24 and then I view on a screen as well. And I do feel like I would be fine with the output of APS-C. Thanks!

Oct 19, 2017 at 08:07 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.