New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

jtbold
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

I really like Sony cameras, their service is just about the worst thing out there... I bought a used rx1, which somehow developed a cracked internal lens. It was only visible at certain apertures, so the camera was usable but the error was there. Contacted sony who had me send to to Precision Camera who quoted $350 to fix it, sent it in and a few days later get a quote back from them for $875. Ok so the quoting system is intentionally misleading but they state that if any extra parts are needed it will be more. Told them no, since I can buy another RX1 for that amount. Get the camera back and not only is the problem with the lens still there, but the camera will not longer autofocus and is giving me an error code. So now I have a non-usable camera.

Now I know some will say if you buy a used camera you are in some regards taking a chance, but a 2-3 year old camera? I would have no problems buying an x-t1 of that vintage, or a nikon - or a leica m8 from way back. So why would you expect a higher end sony camera to somehow develop an internal crack?

But I digress, I contacted precision camera about the new problem, no answer multiple times. Finally when I get a customer service person on the line they tell me that while they cover any repairs they do for 90 days, since I did not have a repair done it is not their problem. Go ahead, try and get a manager for precision camera on the phone - they have the best job in the world, not only are they not required to return phone calls, but from my experience are never in the office anyway.

So I go back to sony, after multiple messages going back and forth with them - they tell me... you got it, to send it to precision camera for repair.

Edited on Nov 02, 2017 at 09:26 PM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:02 AM
bwcolor
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

I've used them for warranty work. I would be curious to hear from those who went through the Precision quoting process. It seems to me that a sight-unseen quote with this type of repair would be a range of possible costs, rather than an exact amount. It would be disturbing if they only quote the bottom of that range in order to get you to send it in, rather than making you aware that it could be much more expensive.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:08 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

I really like my Sony gear but see customer service and QC on lenses as major weaknesses. Maybe this will improve as Sony goes head to head with Canikon.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:12 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

I purchased a used A7R and it developed a focusing issue. The cake a was still the need warranty, Sony paid shipping both ways, fixed the issue within a week and the camera sales as flawless since. Sony Canada came to though with flying colours. One thing I really appreciate with Sony gear is the warranty is transferable...unlike other brands.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512240

Here is a Canon service quote that went from $80 to almost $500 once the lens was looked at.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:24 AM
jtbold
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

they do quote it on the low end, but there is a disclaimer that states if additional parts are needed the cost may be more. The camera needs a new lens to fix the crack issue so I understand that cost since new lenses from sony cost about $700, on ebay rebuilt ones are about $250. How a high end camera would develop a crack on one of the inside elements is beyond me, never seen it before?

My issue is actually that they caused additional damage to the camera, and refuse to take any responsibility for the issue or even discuss it. Then when I finally get in touch with someone at Sony, they only answer they have is to send it to the same place.

I'd understand Sony's answer if I took to a local guy with a "I fix cameras" craigslist add, but to get told to pound sand by both sony, and the only sony authorized repair facility in the country?

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:30 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

jtbold wrote:
How a high end camera would develop a crack on one of the inside elements is beyond me, never seen it before?

You bought a used camera and not a new camera that showed a crack. The camera may have been dropped by the previous owner and the condition wasn't disclosed to you. It was just a matter of time for the problem to surface...

jtbold wrote:
My issue is actually that they caused additional damage to the camera, and refuse to take any responsibility for the issue or even discuss it. Then when I finally get in touch with someone at Sony, they only answer they have is to send it to the same place.

Who knows what happened to the camera during shipment in either direction, rendering it unusable....

I am sorry about your problem/situation and I am not defending Sony, but there are a few unknown factors at play, it seems.

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:04 PM
jtbold
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

sure there are plenty of what if's, but after buying and selling any number of used cameras, of who knows how many different brands - statistically what are the odds of the stars lining up right for this to happen to this sony?

You want to play devil's advocate more power to you, maybe there was a crack from the previous owner, OK. But I sent it to precision wrapped well in bubble wrap and they sent it back the same way. When I sent it the focusing worked, when they sent it back it did not....

What I also did not mention was that I sent it to them with the original $60 metal lens cap, they sent it back with a $4 plastic one, they also refuse to even talk about that.

I realize I posted this in the sony forum, and there are plenty of sony fan boys, just like fuji guys in the fuji forum. But even if you go to sleep at night facing where ever the sony headquarters are, and wear sony pajamas, and gave both your kids the middle name Ynos (sony backwards) the level of service I got was awful. I have no problem with the quote to fix it, it is what it is. The problem is getting it back worse than when I sent it - and both Sony, and their only repair facility in the country essentially saying "oh well."

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:20 PM
bwcolor
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

So, where do you go from here?

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM
jtbold
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

I am going to try to go back to sony one more time, when that fails I am going to buy a rebuilt lens on ebay for $250 and have a friend of mine who changes computer screens replace it.

and never buy another sony camera, they seem the best in technology, and I love how the a7 series can be made to work with just about any lens ever made - including making M mount lenses auto focus... but the unexplained crack, never seen it before, they expensive service, and the difficulty of getting anyone from sony to actually help me.... I don't need anymore $1,000 plus camera shaped paperweights.

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:41 PM
kshimz
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

Yeah, I love my Sony gear but I also had a horrible customer service experience recently. Because of this, I've strongly considered selling everything and going back to Nikon since I love their service. I currently don't qualify for Sony Pro Support, but I most likely will in about 4-5 months. I heard Pro Support is better, and since I live in Los Angeles, a walk-in center is also based in Los Angeles. Anybody have any experience with them yet? Takes the hassle out of sending any repairs to Connecticut with a 2 week turnaround.

jtbold, I hope this gets resolved, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. My experience hasn't been anywhere near as bad as yours but I'm already seeing red flags...Good luck!

Oct 16, 2017 at 03:18 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

If you qualify, I highly recommend signing up for Sony Professional Services. They still go through precision, but the service is top-notch.

Oct 16, 2017 at 05:20 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

There are definitely situations where something is broken but still mostly works but when taken apart cannot be put back together in the same semi-broken form that it was before. I'm not at all surprised that something (the auto focus) is broken. I'm sure they had to take it apart to quote you.

Oct 16, 2017 at 05:48 AM
stevesanacore
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

Why doesn't Sony provide their own service? They are certainly large enough by now. A9 customers are certainly going to expect Canon CPS level service, (I've been a CPS member for many years). I'm a Sony Pro member but haven't had to use them yet. I hope I'm not disappointed as we really rely on those guys for quality work and quick turnaround.

Oct 16, 2017 at 07:36 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

jtbold wrote:
I am going to try to go back to sony one more time, when that fails I am going to buy a rebuilt lens on ebay for $250 and have a friend of mine who changes computer screens replace it.

and never buy another sony camera, they seem the best in technology, and I love how the a7 series can be made to work with just about any lens ever made - including making M mount lenses auto focus... but the unexplained crack, never seen it before, they expensive service, and the difficulty of getting anyone from sony to actually help
...Show more

The original problem here is that the camera you bought had a major undetected problem. Caveat emptor. A crack seems most likely to result from impact damage, like dropping the camera. That may be why the previous owner sold it. The lens hood is most unfortunate, but Canon and Sony both say not to send in accessories, probably because this is likely to happen. I would push Precision on the failure to autofocus--they either should explain that it is a result of disassembling the cracked lens unit or they should fix it.

Oct 16, 2017 at 07:58 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

jtbold wrote:

and never buy another sony camera, they seem the best in technology, and I love how the a7 series can be made to work with just about any lens ever made - including making M mount lenses auto focus... but the unexplained crack, never seen it before, they expensive service, and the difficulty of getting anyone from sony to actually help
...Show more

I agree with the poster above in regard to the main cause of the camera issue - out of your control, but likely the seller had a good reason to sell the camera. Unfortunately that is always the gamble when buying electronics used - you might be lucky and everything works perfectly as it is supposed to do, or you get a lemon which is not even be recognizable as such when used first.

In your case you had additional bad luck with the lens, and yes, likely here Precision Camera did something wrong. Did you make sure that the serial number of the camera was the same when it was shipped back to you? The different lens cap might have been placed on a different lens+camera sent in for repair by someone else, and Precision Camera accidentally misplaced/interchanged both cameras?

Anyway, certainly a frustrating and annoying experience, and I can understand your disappointment with Sony's customer service here. Not sure if it is worthwhile to vest more money to have either camera or lens fixed - you likely have to take the loss, I doubt that Precision Camera will admit an error and fix or replace the lens/camera for free. Likely the best to do is to sell the camera as broken item for repair parts. Best of luck!

Oct 16, 2017 at 08:26 AM
jtbold
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

I have thought of that, there is the chance they put the wrong lens on my camera. The good news is that I got a call from precision today - after 3 weeks of trying - someone at sony contacted them and had them call me and offer to get the camera back to the way it was when they got it.. so I am sending it back to precision..... I'll probably get back a water damaged nikon film camera by error, but in for a penny in for a pound.

Oct 16, 2017 at 09:11 PM
jtbold
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

Well miracles happen, and sony came through. I got a call from Precision camera saying that Sony had asked them to bring the camera back to how it was when they got it, in other words the focusing worked. Sent it last week, got it back today - a full service and a brand new lens assembly - works perfect. Even sent it back by overnight shipping... total cost to me zero.

I take back everything negative I said about Sony, they went above and beyond to fix my camera.

Nov 02, 2017 at 09:26 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

That is good to hear!

Did you get your metal lens cap back?

Nov 02, 2017 at 09:32 PM
jtbold
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony and GREAT customer service update at the end

actually, they even sent that back - great service after all

Nov 02, 2017 at 09:43 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.