New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

X-T2 Birds in Flight

zimman

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

I just got the X-T2 and want to do some birds in flight photography. I have the Fuji 100-400, 1.4 extender and the power grip. I am looking for someone that is photographing birds in flight with the X-T2 that would be willing to share how they have setup their camera. The image quality of stationery birds is amazing and I want to get that quality with them in action.

I am coming from a Canon 1Dx Mark II and would like to commit to the Fuji 100% but until I know that my birds in flight photos are close to my Canon I can't commit fully.

Thank you to anyone that can help.

Oct 14, 2017 at 08:27 PM
Lken
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

Anxious to hear your outcome with Fuji and BIF. I had the same hopes that you have and wound up having to go back to Nikon for BIF. Don't get me wrong I love the Fuji system but just not for BIF. I am hoping you prove me wrong and can show me my errors. Good luck

Oct 15, 2017 at 01:32 AM
zimman

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

Lken, I agree.

That is why I haven't sold my 1Dx Mark II or my 100-400 II and 1.4 extender. Until I can find the solution for BIF. Otherwise I am very happy with the Fuji system.

Oct 15, 2017 at 01:43 AM
Lken
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

I absolutely love the Fuji. Keep hoping to find a solution for BIF. I use a Nikon D500 200-500, 300f4 and a 300 2.8. Just picked up a older 600mm MF 5.6 prime lens in excellent condition. I have been using it on the Fuji. Lots of fun.

Oct 15, 2017 at 02:10 AM
zimman

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

Hopefully someone will post a solution sooner than later..

Oct 15, 2017 at 02:12 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

I found some blogs from regarding the X-T2 w/ 100-400mm and BIF.

http://www.nandakusumadi.com/blog/2017/2/12/bird-photography-with-the-fujifilm-x-t2-part-1

http://macleancomms.blogspot.com/2016/07/capturing-puffins-in-flight-with.html

Oct 15, 2017 at 03:36 AM
dakel
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

Mattieu Gasquet from Mirrorlessons.com recommends the following for BIF:
Tracking sensitivity=1
Speed Tracking sensitivity = 1
Zone Area Switching = Front
You can see this in his XT2 review on youtube at about the 7:15 mark

" target="_blank">

Oct 15, 2017 at 05:50 AM
zimman

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

Edward and dalkel thank you so much for the help. I will check these out.

Oct 15, 2017 at 01:21 PM
zimman

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

I have checked out everything that was sent to me. Thank you once again. I can't wait to go out and see what happens. Hopefully this week.

Oct 15, 2017 at 09:13 PM
Jase1125
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

Supposedly there is a big firmware update that substantially improves tracking with the X-T2. It is due out in November I believe. I too have been disappointed in the tracking ability for BIF after coming from a 1dx.

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

zimman

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

Thanks for that info.

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:26 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

I've tried just about every approach I can for BIF and other moving targets. I gave up. I'll stick with the 1dx and big Canon glass. Unfortunately this is a big limitation for the Fuji system. I know people can get some good results, but I'd argue there is simply no consistency. I have managed a few shots myself but with a keep rate somewhere less than 5% it's futile

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:34 PM
zimman

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

Thank you Michael. I am hoping to try my luck this weekend but I am not expecting great results at least not right away. Maybe that firmware upgrade will help. I'm not rushing to get rid of all my Canon equipment.

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:39 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

I've found the 100-400 fine for airshows and motorsports, but even with those subjects the AF allows significantly with the 1.4x TC added. For BIF I don't know that the 100-400 is fast enough bare let alone with the TC attached. I don't really do BIF so not much experience there I'm afraid.

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:07 PM
Homo_erectus

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

I do bif with the 50-230 (because I can't afford a nice long lens :-( ). It's basically a literal piece of crap in comparison to the 100-400. Mostly, you'll need to adapt how you do things to how the Fuji AF system works. If you try to shoot like you would a dslr you'll have nothing but tears, frustration, and disappointment.

http://abeolson.flyingdodostudio.com/The-Natural-World/The-Pond/

http://abeolson.flyingdodostudio.com/The-Natural-World/Animals/

Nearly every bif shot in these two galleries were shot with the X-Pro 2 and the 50-230. A few with the 50-140 and a few with the 50-140+1.4TC.

Be warned if you get back to the red-winged black bird chasing the crow in the Pond gallery, or get to the cat pictures in the Animals gallery, you'll be looking at shots taken with the D750.

Would I try to make my living shooting bif with an X camera? Not right now. But, my keeper rate is many multiples of 5% with one of the slowest focusing lenses Fuji sells, so you should be able to do a lot better with the 100-400.

I found the 1.4TC had a noticeable impact on the AF speed of the 50-140 when I rented them both last spring.

Hope that helps.

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:32 PM
zimman

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

Sorry for the delay. I went out to try my luck shooting birds in flight. I was able to see some seagulls in flight.
Using my X-T2 and 100-400 with the suggested setups I was able to get a few good shots I would say 15% success rate which doesn't make me happy. I have been trying to post some photos without success until now. If you go to:
http://www.johnzimmermanphotography.ca/recent-photos.html and look for the seagulls in flight you will get an idea. I haven't given up but there are fewer birds around at the moment for me to photograph.

Note: All the other photographs are with my Canon equipment.

Oct 26, 2017 at 06:08 PM
Lken
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

While we are on this discussion. I read reviews where people say that the XT2 will focus as fast or faster than the Nikon D500. Well all I can say is mine will not. it is not in the same league. i wish it was but its not. What is your experience?

Oct 30, 2017 at 07:56 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

I love my Fujifilm cameras for many things, but they certainly do not compete with my Canon DSLR for bird photography.

I'm sure it is possible to photograph birds with the Fujifilm, but since you already have an excellent Canon system that is optimized for such things...

Dan

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:28 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

zimman wrote:
Sorry for the delay. I went out to try my luck shooting birds in flight. I was able to see some seagulls in flight.
Using my X-T2 and 100-400 with the suggested setups I was able to get a few good shots I would say 15% success rate which doesn't make me happy. I have been trying to post some photos without success until now. If you go to:
http://www.johnzimmermanphotography.ca/recent-photos.html and look for the seagulls in flight you will get an idea. I haven't given up but there are fewer birds around at the moment for me to photograph.

Note: All the other
...Show more

Please don't take this personal, but this seagull image really highlights a great example of why I find the Fuji system lacking for BIF. As shown, in a compressed jpg on a web browser, this image misses for me. I really don't think the bird is sharp, and look at the funky background. Heavy crop? That could account for some of it.

I REALLY want this system to be adequate for all type of photography but for me, it just isn't really for this. Or most fast moving indoor sports, many outdoor situations, etc.

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · X-T2 Birds in Flight

Hard (perhaps impossible) to make sweeping judgments of a camera's capabilities on the basis of one jpg in a photo thread. I've seem similar images from lots of systems.

The real issues with the Fujifilm cameras for birds in flight include:

1. While the AF is fine, it typically isn't fast enough to pick up and focus on moving birds.

2. The fastest EVF has at least some latency, and that needs to be minimized for BIF.

Dan

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password