New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

I swore up and down that I'd never buy another focus-by-wire lens, but the admittedly great comments and samples about Sony's 12-24/4 have got me thinking about it vs what I'm now using. Opinions would be appreciated!

1) In one of the large threads about this lens, someone commented that its manual focus feel and usability is much better than older FBW lenses. Do owners generally agree? I never use AF, so this would make the difference between fatal flaw and usability to me.

2) Has anyone used it for infrared? For the latter, I have an A7R, converted to 850nm - no filters needed. If you've used it, what do you think?

At present, I'm using a Canon 16-35/4 as my all-purpose IR lens most of the time; it works very well, generally, although I can confirm that the frame ends go somewhat soft (which I've seen reported elsewhere) compared to using it for visible light. I'm particularly curious whether this is also true of the Sony; I've found nothing from a Google search.

I also use a Voigtlander 12/5.6 (E-mount) for IR (as well as for visible light), and Fred's test samples of the 12 vs Sony 12-24 are convincing as far as visible light use. Any chance anyone here has used this combination for IR?

Thanks.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:17 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

Bump - No opinions, even for manual focus?

Oct 15, 2017 at 08:52 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

As far as manual focus . It is certainly better than some of the Sony’s in the beginning like the FE 35 2.8 for instance which is like a loose screw to focus or worse. I think and cannot be sure but Sony made a change in the latter glass to a linear focusing mechanism and I like it much better. The GMs does focus very nicely in manual and my 85 1.8 is a big improvement over the 55. So it’s a lot better. I always talk about it as feel and the 12-24 does have nice feel to it and images do pop in better on manual. The real problem early on was actual hitting the spot because it felt like it was jumping but the newer lenses have nicer feel. Also bigger elements slow this down a little like the GM 85 1.4.

Oct 15, 2017 at 09:40 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

Sorry -- I haven't used mine for MF, and I never shoot IR.

I don't consider U-UWA lenses to be accurate to easily focus manually at the wide end, especially with field curvature to consider. I'm sure it can be done, but I won't need it except possibly twilight cityscapes, but so far none needed. AF, and f/stop between 5.6-11.0, has given me confidence in the lens and its AF.

You might be in a very rarified position with your imaging needs for this lens. Wish I could be of more help.

Oct 15, 2017 at 09:55 AM
TakenWild
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

I’ll test it for you tomorrow I have a converted Sony A7. I also have a Canon 16-35mm f4 on and MC-11 and I also have well a centred Sony 12-24mm f4.
The Canon 16-35mm f4 does have soft corners at 16mm on an IR camera. I just Zoom it in. Think the Sony 16-35mm f4 has the same problem.

The Canon 16-35mm f4 and Sony 12-24mm are both very good from 16-21mm range. Canon is clearly sharper than the Sony at 24mm. Which in turn is behind my Canon 24mm TSE II in sharpness.

I’m keeping both the Canon 16-35 f4 and the Sony 12-24mm. They are both different lenses, but very, very good lenses.

I did have a Laowa 12mm f2.8 and it never reached infinity on a IR camera.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:05 AM
TakenWild
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

From memory the Sony 12-24mm works better than the Canon 16-35mm f4 on my Sony A7 IR Camera. But I haven’t used my IR camera much since I recently bought the Sony 12-24mm. I test it tomorrow at infinity.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:20 AM
Jimi3
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

I have an ir converted A7r and recently picked up the 12-24. Haven't done any real testing in infrared yet but so far I'm pleased. My voigt ten has some horrendous vignetting and not so awesome corners in ir; the Sony looks better so far, but again I haven't scrutinized it. Just took it out for a shoot at a lake yesterday, but the corners were all sky or water....if I have time I'll try to give it a closer look this week.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:48 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
I swore up and down that I'd never buy another focus-by-wire lens, but the admittedly great comments and samples about Sony's 12-24/4 have got me thinking about it vs what I'm now using. Opinions would be appreciated!

1) In one of the large threads about this lens, someone commented that its manual focus feel and usability is much better than older FBW lenses. Do owners generally agree? I never use AF, so this would make the difference between fatal flaw and usability to me.

2) Has anyone used it for infrared? For the latter, I have an A7R, converted to 850nm -
...Show more

Its linear focus by wire implementation is one of the best I've seen in a native lens. It's really easy to nail focus in MF mode using the focusing ring.

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

Thanks for the useful replies and info - much appreciated!

Guy - OK, that's good to know that MF is better than the early lenses. I haven't tried the 35/2.8, but the one that I particularly disliked was the 55/1.8. Back and forth, over and over, and I could never tell if I had really nailed it. I sold it in large part due to its MF, but also because I prefer the Loxia 50's rendering.

Jim - I've never had problems with MF on lenses of any length, short or long. But I'm really a 4x5 guy who converted to digital 2 years ago, and at times I'm still not completely comfortable with the change. I often have difficulty composing on a postage-stamp-sized viewfinder compared to ground glass! Oh, I'm interested in the 12-24 for visible light use too; it would replace my Voigt 12 and 15 in the "lightweight all purpose" walkaround bag.

Caleb - thanks, that would be great if you can do a test. I usually crop the ends because I want 4:5 or 3:4 ratio, but occasionally I do want the full frame (as in the shot I posted yesterday), and then the soft ends are noticeable. I usually switch to a Loxia or other prime when I get to 21mm or longer, but I was in a lot of blowing sand last week and didn't want to change lenses.

Jimi3 - Good to hear that you've been pleased so far. I also have the Voigtlander 10, which I like for certain things, but I also picked up the 12 since the 10 goes so soft toward the ends. I agree that it has a harsh hotspot; the 12 also has it, but to a lesser extent. Seeing Fred's tests with the 12-24 vs Voigt 12 has really made me consider getting the zoom. Likewise, if you can get a closer look this week, that would be great.

Edited on Oct 15, 2017 at 12:36 PM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

Fred - great to hear, thanks!

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

I was using MF with it yesterday, works really well, I recall struggling with the 16-35, 12-24 felt good the past few outings

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:44 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

I ordered one from B&H last night...will be here on Friday. Much testing will be in order re: my Voigtlander 12 and 15, and vs Canon 16-35/4 for infrared

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:32 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

Thanks again for everyone's comments. I've finished testing, and I agree with all that's been said. This is an amazingly good lens, and I've decided to keep it. Sadly, the Voigtlander 12 and 15 must go, since I don't really see a good reason to keep all of them.

No problem at all with FBW on this lens, and therefore a huge plus for me. Manual focus is very smooth and precise, just as Fred commented. I suppose that I'll have to check its auto focus to be sure that it works, then the switch goes back to manual again.

Compared to the 12 and 15 Voigt, center sharpness is virtually identical. In favor of the 12-24, the ends are sharper, and CA is almost non-existent. Corners are basically matched, unlike reports on so many other Sony lenses; there is a touch of softness and blur, as one would expect, but better in every case than the 2 Voigts and the Canon 16-35/4. Vignetting is much less than the Voigts.

On infrared, the Sony wins on nearly every point. Vignetting on the Voigts is severe (more so than with visible light); in the Voigts, the 12 has a gentle but noticeable hotspot, whereas the 15 has a much more noticeable, small, and sharp-edged spot by the time f/11 is reached. The Sony does have more noticeable hotspotting than the Canon 16-35/4, but it's gentle and gradual, and easily fixed with a layer mask. The ends and corners are noticeably sharper with the Sony compared to the Canon. The latter has considerably more contrast in IR images direct from the camera; I haven't yet compared processing for this, but I don't expect it to be a problem. In some cases, it could be a benefit since the Canon's files will readily blow out whites if overexposed.

I haven't compared other lenses in the range; my Loxia 21 isn't going anywhere, and I expect to give it priority as long as it's in the bag. But overall, I'm delighted with the Sony and glad that I decided to give it a try.

Oct 22, 2017 at 07:12 PM
avuroski
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A couple of questions on Sony 12-24/4

Interesting thread. I LOVE voigtlander's new 40/1.2, and I'm increasingly into MF. But I think that comparing a 12-24 vs a prime 12 is a bit crazy. I mean, 12-24 is a full range wide lens: you can use it in hundreds of applications. A 12 prime is probably one of the most specialized lenses ever made. Even when I want an ultra-wide, I find myself often using 13-15, rather than merely 12, just because 12 is so INCREDIBLY wide. So if there's evidence that the 12-24 is at all similar to the 12 prime, I would hands down choose that. I find the MF completely usable, even if it's not totally at the level of my Voigtlander 40/1.2

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:59 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.