Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

CycledawgFL

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

Some images I took last night at the game. The ladies spanked the guys 8-1. They're quick and they swarm. Not being able to check took away one of the guys tools. The US is going to be well represented at the Winter Olympics.

Oct 14, 2017 at 03:28 PM
CycledawgFL

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

All shot through really crappy rink glass. Have inquired about getting ports put in the arena. They spent the money on very good LED lighting. Waiting to hear.

Oct 14, 2017 at 05:24 PM
jrulison
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

Looks pretty good with going through crappy glass. Maybe you can build a goalie box to mount in the top of the goal with some pocket wizards. I remember years ago someone has directions on how to build one on here.

Best,
JR

Oct 26, 2017 at 05:28 PM
CycledawgFL

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

Thanks, I'll look into it. I have a backup D3 I could use for that. The third image and another I didn't post here got picked up by Florida Hockey Life and used in the November issue.

Oct 30, 2017 at 02:48 AM
CycledawgFL

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

Found that article you referred to. Also found a box online. They want $450 for it. Not sure it would be worth the investment, Not from a protection standpoint but rather how often I'd be able to use it and any revenue it would generate.

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:09 PM
RussHons
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

jrulison wrote:
Looks pretty good with going through crappy glass. Maybe you can build a goalie box to mount in the top of the goal with some pocket wizards. I remember years ago someone has directions on how to build one on here.

Best,
JR

The box goes in the bottom of the goal. you can see mine in the 1st photo. Hockeynetcam.com makes them, and yea, they are around $450 plus shipping.

NIKON D500    150mm    f/4.0    1/1250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D500    8mm    f/6.3    1/800s    4000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 01, 2017 at 08:27 PM
CycledawgFL

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

That's the one I found. Looks like it has good quality, just not ready to spend that kind of $ on something I likely won't be able to use often and may not give me any ROI. Convincing the local rinks to allow me to modify their goals may be an issue. I'm going to ask and see how they respond.

Nov 01, 2017 at 11:40 PM
CycledawgFL

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

Killer shot by the way. I really like the perspective.

Nov 01, 2017 at 11:41 PM
RussHons
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

CycledawgFL wrote:
That's the one I found. Looks like it has good quality, just not ready to spend that kind of $ on something I likely won't be able to use often and may not give me any ROI. Convincing the local rinks to allow me to modify their goals may be an issue. I'm going to ask and see how they respond.

Yea it had a lot of hoops to jump through as well, permission from the arena, from the hockey conference, our team(school), etc.

I didn't have to modify anything though. The nets are NHL nets, so the foam on the back bar slides up just enough to be able to attach the superclamp to the pole without having to remove any padding.

Nov 02, 2017 at 12:32 AM
PureMichigan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

I have a dumb question for you only because I'm going to be shooting through some ultra crappy plexiglass starting next month -- did you custom set your white balance at this rink or use Auto WB. For those of you who cover hockey a lot and shoot through plexi, do you set you WB THROUGH the plexi or through a clean view to the ice?I can imagine the glass would throw things off, eh?

Nov 02, 2017 at 01:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RussHons
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

PureMichigan wrote:
I have a dumb question for you only because I'm going to be shooting through some ultra crappy plexiglass starting next month -- did you custom set your white balance at this rink or use Auto WB. For those of you who cover hockey a lot and shoot through plexi, do you set you WB THROUGH the plexi or through a clean view to the ice?I can imagine the glass would throw things off, eh?

Not sure if you are talking to me or the OP, but I usually custom set my WB when shooting hockey. In my home rink I have found that all of my camera's Auto WB work pretty well when set on the Auto(0) setting. When I shoot on the road I usually set it custom so I don't have to risk messing with it during the game.

When shooting thru plexi, it depends on how long i'm going to be doing it. I shoot maybe 1 period a weekend through the glass so I leave it on auto, and then fix it in post. If I was going to be shooting through it more I would probably set my custom balance while shooting thru the glass.

Nov 02, 2017 at 01:33 AM
CycledawgFL

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

Not a dumb question. I use auto. I'm shooting a D3s and it has done well on auto so far. Only minor adjustments in post.

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:25 AM
CycledawgFL

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

Looks like I'm going to be shooting some more of the Women's Olympic Team. They are playing in the 4 Nation Tournament here in Tampa. Florida Hockey Life has asked me to cover it for them and is getting me credentials. This is going to be fun and educational. I'll be able to shoot at Amalie Arena, home of the TB Lightning, on Sunday. First time ever shooting at a venue like that.

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:21 PM
RussHons
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

CycledawgFL wrote:
Looks like I'm going to be shooting some more of the Women's Olympic Team. They are playing in the 4 Nation Tournament here in Tampa. Florida Hockey Life has asked me to cover it for them and is getting me credentials. This is going to be fun and educational. I'll be able to shoot at Amalie Arena, home of the TB Lightning, on Sunday. First time ever shooting at a venue like that.

Great facility! I shot the NCAA Frozen 4 there in 2016. and two of the players on the Women's Olympic team are home town girls from here in Grand Forks. The Lamoureux twins! Have fun and good luck!

RussHons 2016

NIKON D7200    125mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

RussHons 2016

NIKON D750    180mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

RussHons 2016

NIKON D750    150mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:01 PM
CycledawgFL

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

Where were you allowed to shoot from? Did you get any time in the ports? I'm loving seeing the ISO settings you used as usually I have to shoot much higher to get decent images. I haven't gotten a shot/player list that they want. Likely going to be a fluid thing as they interview players and build their stories.

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:31 PM
RussHons
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

I shot 2 games there, the Semi Final and Final. I shot from the suicide box between the player benches 1 period each game. I shot from the ports 1 period each game, and I shot from an elevated sport 1 period. Most of the 3rd period of the championship I was at the Zamboni door waiting to get on the ice as soon as the game was over.

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:44 PM
CycledawgFL

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

They've already said we can't shoot from between the benches. Hoping to get some time at the ports. Were you using the net cam for that one? Where were you shooting elevated? Were you using a 70-200 2.8? Sorry so many questions. I want to make the most of the opportunity both for FHL and myself.

Nov 06, 2017 at 08:19 PM
RussHons
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

CycledawgFL wrote:
They've already said we can't shoot from between the benches. Hoping to get some time at the ports. Were you using the net cam for that one? Where were you shooting elevated? Were you using a 70-200 2.8? Sorry so many questions. I want to make the most of the opportunity both for FHL and myself.

I wasn't using the net cam then. I just got it, and NCAA and ESPN wouldn't have allowed it for those games. ESPN had their cameras in the net. I did shoot with the 70-200 at ice level, both from the photo holes and from the suicide box. From elevated I use a Sigma 120-300 2.8 (sport), or the new Nikon 300 f4.

Nov 06, 2017 at 10:14 PM
CycledawgFL

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

What a blast it was to shoot at Amalie. The whole week was great, but the cherry on top was shooting a big win by Team USA over Canada and being able to shoot through a port with awesome lighting.

Edited on Nov 13, 2017 at 03:06 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2017 at 01:18 AM
RussHons
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · US Women's National Hockey Team vs USF

CycledawgFL wrote:
What a blast it was to shoot at Amalie. The whole week was great, but the cherry on top was shooting a big win by Team USA over Canada and being able to shoot through a port with awesome lightning.

Congrats. I knew you would have fun. Look forward to seeing some photos.

Nov 13, 2017 at 01:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password