New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · backpack option

Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · backpack option

I'm currently using an ona campus backpack to hold all this setup, but it doesn't have a tripod holder. i also feel like this bag wasn't meant to hold this much weight since the straps feel like they're gonna rip off.

Can someone give me a recommendation on a great bag that distributes weight good and can fit a tripod. Much help be appreciated.

Mamiya rz67 pro ii
3 120mm film backs
65mm
110mm
180mm
Lee filter ND filter set
3 120 film holder
Manfrotto 550 pro

Oct 14, 2017 at 08:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · backpack option

your choice from strictly a photo based bag point of view

F-Stop Ajna w/appropriate ICU (lrg I believe for that stuff)

LowePro Whistler series

unlike regular things you pack in a pack these are more concentrated in weight. the pack will only distribute the weight that you placed properly. thus can issues. in my F-Stop Ajna I regularly carry 25lbs+. in the long run over hours it does tend to get weighty as they all will. the only other real option to hire a professional Sherpa. I know a few living here in the east.

on the fitting of "a tripod". there's a lot of variables there me boy. are you referring to the 055 not 550?

Edited on Oct 14, 2017 at 03:44 PM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2017 at 08:46 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · backpack option

I'd consider getting a trekking pack with the better support system and purchasing an insert for the pack. I've been through the merit-go-round of camera packs and have not found a single pack that equals a true trekking pack for support and comfort when carrying a heavy load.

Go to your nearest REI or other outdoor trekking store with your gear and they'll fit you properly with a good pack.

Oct 14, 2017 at 01:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · backpack option

Chez- I think you need to put up an image of you pack setup

it is regretful that I have yet to find the appropriate "trekking pack" that provides what I have needed overall with a basement collection of them.

Edited on Oct 20, 2017 at 08:27 PM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2017 at 03:52 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · backpack option

I have this backpack, https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86180?feat=1098-GN3&page=white-mountain-pack&csp=f&bc=50-816-1098&attrValue_0=Avocado/Kelp%20Green&productId=1442915

I bought this pack specifically to carry my photo gear on trips....

I had it so loaded with gear I could hardly lift it into the overhead of a small jet. You would be amazed what you can put in this.....it supports the weight very nicely...but just because you can put a bunch of gear in it doesnt mean you should. Remember that you might have to lift it over your head!

Oct 20, 2017 at 02:54 PM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · backpack option

Photo dedicated backpacks also generally allow better access to gear without rooting around or unpacking.

Oct 22, 2017 at 02:51 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · backpack option

I swear by Osprey, but that's just me. I've tried the camera backpack thing and just don't find it all that comfortable. But I like to hike with my gear, so that's just my preference. If you just need a pack for roaming around the city and whatnot, maybe you don't need a hiking backpack, and can opt for a dedicated camera pack. For those, I like Mindshift.

Oct 22, 2017 at 09:09 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · backpack option

‘Generally ‘ but not necessarily. The easiest access I’ve ever had is using the copious stretchy pockets of my superb Boreas Lost Coast 45 & 60L backpacks. However virtually zero protection in a fall on your back (no chance of dropping them though), though that would be an extremely rare feat even for me !

I use a Mindshift Rotation too. Excellent for day hikes and multi day hikes with a porter (I’ve used it in both scenarios) with extremely fast access, but usually too large for cities in my opinion - could be an option for the OP though he’d need to check the specs to see if he could fit all his gear.

I prefer a messenger (love the Tenba DNA 13”) and just strap a tripod to it for cities however I’m not carting about more than 2 Sonys and 5 lenses.
jrhoffman75 wrote:
Photo dedicated backpacks also generally allow better access to gear without rooting around or unpacking.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.