New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

Future Man
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

I'm wondering what some suggestions would be for someone looking to take a step up from a single Alien Bees B800.

I'm mainly looking to do solo portraits (though recently I've been doing some couple and family shoots). I do have the Vagabond Mini but I believe this is just a general battery and should be fine with any strobe?

My main reason to start looking for a new light is the unreliable nature of firing the B800. My B800 took a fall earlier this year and it's been super unreliable ever since. I do have some old RadioPoppers that I could try to use but as I said they are old and for some reason the RadioPopper piece that connects to the hot shoe on my camera needs to be held down a certain way for it to make contact.

I do have some light modifiers for my B800 so I was thinking of just staying in this system and going with a DigiBee 800.

Good choice? That way I could wireless fire the DigiBee with it's built in remote system and also have my old B800 set up as a slave if I wanted to do a 2-light set-up.

Oct 13, 2017 at 07:36 PM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

so maybe an alternative to the DigiBee... I'm looking at the Einstein and also the Adorma Flashpoint XPLOR:

https://www.adorama.com/fplfx600tb.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwyIHPBRAIEiwAHPS-GDfkrPObHNTaP3qadFcrkc9P49gJBNoNkuLTNxjRXNB-A3k6UiMdkhoC2ukQAvD_BwE

The Flashpoint has a built in battery and comes w/ everything for wireless shooting @ $750. I have a Flashpoint flash that I use on camera for event photography that I have had no issues with after a year of use now.

Looks like the only real positives for the DigiBee are smaller, cheaper and the LED modeling lamp could be used for continuous lighting.

These are all right in my price range so I'm going to have to compare all these and see what comes out on top. Anyone who uses these care to comment?

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:03 PM
wjauch

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

FYI Adorama currently has a great special where as far as I can tell the same unit is on sale for $399
https://www.adorama.com/fplfx600bc.html Canon
https://www.adorama.com/fplfx600bn.html Nikon

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:53 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

wjauch wrote:
FYI Adorama currently has a great special where as far as I can tell the same unit is on sale for $399

Not the same, but very close. The version on sale does not have TTL, while the $750 version does. Whether the ability to use TTL is worth $350 is a question people will have to answer for themselves.

Great strobes, BTW.

C

Oct 14, 2017 at 01:59 AM
JimmyJames
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

Buy another Alien Bee! Many good used deals on them from people upgrading.

Oct 16, 2017 at 01:08 PM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

wjauch wrote:
https://www.adorama.com/fplfx600bc.html Canon
https://www.adorama.com/fplfx600bn.html Nikon

was it really $399 at some point? Looks to be $595 now.

not sure if I need TTL... I need to see if the Flashpoint flash I use even has it. If it does I'm probably not using it unless it's just automatic...

Oct 16, 2017 at 03:51 PM
neoshazam
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

Both the Einstein E640 and the Xplor 600 HSS are great choices.

Oct 16, 2017 at 03:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Future Man
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

I watched a Joey L comparison video between Einstein, Profoto and Broncolor... seemed to be very satisfied with Einstein except for build quality and color consistency. Though color consistency seems to only really be a big deal if you are doing high end commercial work.

Oct 16, 2017 at 04:30 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

I'd just upgrade to the digibee. The godox lights are great for the price point, but they are not really something that is serviceable like the alienbees lights. The AB lights will also retain their value longer term if you choose to resell.

This is coming from someone with five godox strobes. I don't see myself replacing them once they all fail.

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:50 PM
mdelrossi

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

I tried the Flashpoint AD200 to see what the fuss was. I liked it so much I bought another one along with the ADB2 ( it holds two of the AD200's and has 2 -10 watt modeling lights). liked them so much I bought an Explor 600 on sale with a fuji trigger.

The AD200 has a bare bulb as well as the standard head, it's lightweight and the battery seems to last forever.

The triggers are great and can control groups and channels, bigger than the sky ports but more useful and it takes regular aaa batteries.

I've used everything from Dynalights, Speedatrons, Broncolor, Profoto, Lately Elinchrom was my favorite.

But Flashpoint(Godox) are so inexpensive and have HSS and TTL right out of the box that it really was a no-brainer for me.

I still have my Elinchrom Ranger RX and Quadra, but they are the old lead battery and bumping up to the Li-ion would be as much as I paid for all the new Flashpoints.

I haven't dropped mine (yet) so I couldn't tell you about the sturdiness of the strobe.

good luck
mdr

FYI - Lot's of info here :http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Oct 17, 2017 at 07:07 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

One of my AD200s failed (stopped recognizing the flash head) after only a few weeks. The body was replaced by the amazon seller, but it took a few weeks to get it all sussed out.

That said, I have dropped one of them since and it still works. I dislike how the rear LCD is so exposed - most strobes with an LCD positioned like that has it slightly recessed, as otherwise they quickly get scratched up or cracked.

I have also noticed that the radio receivers in these strobes are easily triggered by other photographers using other RF triggers. Not a big deal if you don't shoot in a crowded area for photographers, but I've definitely had issues when I'm shooting in popular engagement spots in NY.

Otherwise, agree they are a pretty fantastic value for the money.

Oct 17, 2017 at 07:41 PM
Brad Barr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

Godox hands DOWN. Its such a complete system, there really is no other credible choice. I have several units from speedlights to strobes. Do yourself a favor and look no further.

Oct 20, 2017 at 04:13 PM
WayneF

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

Future Man wrote:
My main reason to start looking for a new light is the unreliable nature of firing the B800. My B800 took a fall earlier this year and it's been super unreliable ever since. I do have some old RadioPoppers that I could try to use but as I said they are old and for some reason the RadioPopper piece that connects to the hot shoe on my camera needs to be held down a certain way for it to make contact.

Why not just have it fixed? Send to Alienbees with a proper description of the problem, and their repair is inexpensive and a legendary pleasurable experience.
http://www.paulcbuff.com/repair.php

Oct 27, 2017 at 07:02 PM
aeubank
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Step up from Alien Bees 800B?

I'm converting to the Godox system after using Alien Bees for a while. I have 2 B1600's and 2 B800's (going up for sale soon). GREAT flashes. I would recommend getting another Alien Bee if that's your avenue. I'm more of a remote shooter and don't shoot that much so making sure everything is ready and dragging out all the equipment of the AB system is a little hassle. But if I had a studio I'd be all over the AB system! The light colors are more consistent with Alien Bees than the Godox..

You can't beat the portability of the Godox, so my solution is to pick up more Alien Bees. Made in Tennessee baby!

Oct 27, 2017 at 08:46 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password