I purchased one copy and was very happy
I purchased one copy, returned it, and never tried again
It took 2 copies for me to get one I was happy with
I tried 2 copies and was not happy with either
It took 3 copies for me to get one I was happy with
I tried 3 copies and was not happy with any of them
It took 4 (or more) copies for me to get one I was happy with
I tried 4 (or more) copies and was not happy with any of them
I've avoided this lens due to the well-described issues with it but I'd buy one if the first copy could be reasonably guaranteed to perform as it should

Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

elizabeth77
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

It's sharp enough for me even at 200. Not my sharpest lens but I have many keepers from it.
Edited to add: I know this needs color correction in the background mountains, but this is a very lightly edited jpeg for social. For some reason I can never find a profile for this lens in LR so there's no post-camera lens correction on it either.

Jan 02, 2018 at 12:44 PM
LBJ2
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

elizabeth77 wrote:
It's sharp enough for me even at 200. Not my sharpest lens but I have many keepers from it.
Edited to add: I know this needs color correction in the background mountains, but this is a very lightly edited jpeg for social. For some reason I can never find a profile for this lens in LR so there's no post-camera lens correction on it either.

Excellent example of what I describe as "more than sharp enough"

Jan 02, 2018 at 09:14 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

elizabeth77 wrote:

As always, great sample.

If my copy yielded that much detail (even looking at the image compressed to this point), I would be more than content. Unfortunately, images beyond about 6-8ft look nothing like that with my rig.

Jan 02, 2018 at 10:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

elizabeth77
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
As always, great sample.

If my copy yielded that much detail (even looking at the image compressed to this point), I would be more than content. Unfortunately, images beyond about 6-8ft look nothing like that with my rig.

There must really be major copy variation then - this shot's at 200mm (and the file is definitely way crisper in reality) - that's disappointing and especially at this cuckoo price. It does make sense as, while in the poll we have 26 happy first-time purchasers, we have at this reading ten people who had to try multiple copies to either buy or throw in the towel. The issue is very real.

This shot was with Lensrentals' first copy, which I took to Tanzania for a month, and I actually almost purchased it as it was so good. My own newer copy seems as strong but I haven't yet had a shot that required this much detail at this distance - elephants are such a good test subject! I'll try way downcourt at the next bball game

Jan 03, 2018 at 01:36 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

the nikon version is $27xx right now

so there's that
but usually a sony version is typically less?
look at the 1.4 pricing, for example

28 1.4 $2k
35 1.4, 24 1.4, 58 1.4, all more than what we have to pay for zony 1.4 glass

85 1.4 GM being the exception, it's in line with nikon.
so I guess it's the GM thing! very pricey stamp.

Jan 03, 2018 at 03:05 AM
JohnDizzo15
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

elizabeth77 wrote:
There must really be major copy variation then - this shot's at 200mm (and the file is definitely way crisper in reality) - that's disappointing and especially at this cuckoo price. It does make sense as, while in the poll we have 26 happy first-time purchasers, we have at this reading ten people who had to try multiple copies to either buy or throw in the towel. The issue is very real.

This shot was with Lensrentals' first copy, which I took to Tanzania for a month, and I actually almost purchased it as it was so good. My own newer
...Show more
It really is odd. When I get a shot of something up close, it is as sharp as my sharpest lenses. However, as soon as I shoot something at distance, it looks insanely soft.

I am no sharpness junky or peeper. I personally have quite the taste for character lenses that are generally rather soft at or near wide open. On the other hand, I have also owned and shot many of the modern pricier lenses out there that are supposed to be optical marvels to include the Canon 200/2.0. So I am very familiar with reasonable expectations across the entire gamut.

Like you said though, at $2600, this thing should be better at 200mm (or at least more consistently so from copy to copy) no matter what the shooting distance.

---------------------------------------------

Dj R wrote:
the nikon version is $27xx right now

so there's that
but usually a sony version is typically less?
look at the 1.4 pricing, for example

28 1.4 $2k
35 1.4, 24 1.4, 58 1.4, all more than what we have to pay for zony 1.4 glass

85 1.4 GM being the exception, it's in line with nikon.
so I guess it's the GM thing! very pricey stamp.

The Nikon version is also considered to be best in class and I have yet to see a whole lot of people finding production quality/consistency to be in question.

So far, with regard to premium Sony glass, I have had the 70-200, GM 85 and 35/1.4. They are currently batting 1/3 right now as the only one that performed well for me optically (without caveats) has been the 85. I would gladly pay Nikon prices if the production consistency of these lenses was higher. To put into perspective, I was willing to pay 1700 for the Canon 35/1.4 II and adapt to the R2 and A9 (even with the AF restrictions) rather than put up with the copy of the FE 35/1.4 that I had. Pricing isn't the concern so much as just getting a copy that does what Sony claims it should be able to do.

Jan 03, 2018 at 09:03 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password