1       2       3              5      
       end

DxOmark: FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM, Highest-rated wide-angle zoom

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · DxOmark: FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM, Highest-rated wide-angle zoom

digital_AM wrote:
Thank you Fred for the feedback. Did you buy a copy for yourself?

I have one but find myself using the FE 12-24/4 + 35mm prime more often in the field.
The 12-24/4 is an extraordinary lens and great for the entire range. For filters I have three 77mm NDs (3, 6 and 10-stop) and a 77mm C-POL for it. These filters work great from 15mm until 24mm. More info here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1503152/2#14144452

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:23 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · DxOmark: FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM, Highest-rated wide-angle zoom

I picked up a 16-35 GM today after spending about an hour testing it in the store before paying for it (as well as it can be tested in that environment anyway.)

It's raining here which makes proper testing hard but based on my current findings it appears to be excellent from 16-21mm, OK at 24mm and poor at 35mm. But I'm OK with that, as I found that to be the case in the store and I have other lenses that can cover me 28-35. Hopefully further testing of this in better weather continues to prove it's a good copy on the wide end (where I wanted it to perform.)

I tried a 12-24 in the same store and it was a terrible sample, noticed issues immediately. That makes 2/2 for me that were duds.

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:11 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · DxOmark: FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM, Highest-rated wide-angle zoom

Aztatlan wrote:
I picked up a 16-35 GM today after spending about an hour testing it in the store before paying for it (as well as it can be tested in that environment anyway.)

It's raining here which makes proper testing hard but based on my current findings it appears to be excellent from 16-21mm, OK at 24mm and poor at 35mm. But I'm OK with that, as I found that to be the case in the store and I have other lenses that can cover me 28-35. Hopefully further testing of this in better weather continues to prove it's a good copy
...Show more

Yes, there is some variation with both zooms. If you really want one, you have to be patient.

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:16 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · DxOmark: FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM, Highest-rated wide-angle zoom

Indeed. With a big trip early next year though my patience was running out!

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:24 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · DxOmark: FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM, Highest-rated wide-angle zoom

It is annoying that the Lee filters holder hard vignettes at 16mm with this lens! Zooming to what I guess is about 16.5mm (EXIF still says 16mm) gets rid of it so it isn't too bad, but still annoying - have to remember to do it before shooting.

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:39 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password