FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2017 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

I had NO problems finding local buyers for any of my high dollar camera bodies or lenses. Many willing to drive 100's of miles( Norfolk, Boston, Charleston, SC, Columbus, Kentucky, Maine) and lunch/dinner was on me. It gave all a chance to set up inspect, shoot, view and decide. Some I even drove to one of our historic covered bridge landmarks, lily pond farm, top of South MT. to shoot their image of choice. Even met a few FM er's at Conowingo for eagles(AndrewJ, vero, many others shooting there) while buyer examined item. I know many may not have this advantage but I waited and I sold or bought with 100% satisfaction for both parties.
Dan

Dec 02, 2017 at 08:23 AM
teddoman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

Chiming in with a few comments.

There are Paypal gift scams, so I'm really not sure why people still offer it. It also violates their TOS. If you want a fee free approach, check out something like Zelle. I don't think they have any prohibition on usage.

On low-balling, keep in mind sometimes the seller really wants to sell but doesn't necessarily want to drop their advertised price. If you find offers aggravating, I'd put something in your ad that says you don't want offers. I've seen some people do that.

Dec 05, 2017 at 10:01 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

Danpbphoto wrote:
I had NO problems finding local buyers for any of my high dollar camera bodies or lenses. Many willing to drive 100's of miles( Norfolk, Boston, Charleston, SC, Columbus, Kentucky, Maine) and lunch/dinner was on me. It gave all a chance to set up inspect, shoot, view and decide. Some I even drove to one of our historic covered bridge landmarks, lily pond farm, top of South MT. to shoot their image of choice. Even met a few FM er's at Conowingo for eagles(AndrewJ, vero, many others shooting there) while buyer examined item. I know many may not have this
...Show more

I concluded the best way to handle face to face transactions involving significant cash is to meet the seller at a branch of my bank. I can check out the gear without a dollar in my pocket. If the gear is what has been promised, I go to the teller and cash a check. I've bought a camera and a collection of lenses that way. I recommend it.

Dec 05, 2017 at 09:42 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

No one should be surprised that the success of Fred's Buy and Sell forum would attract not only folks wishing to avoid E-Bay fees, but deviants who want to separate you from your money while offering nothing in return. They can do that a variety of ways, most of which have been reported on this thread by folks who weren't very smart about protecting themselves. I won't repeat them.

A number of oldtimers have offered words of advice on how to protect yourself. It is good to listen and even better to follow that advice. Personally, I avoid problems by never selling anything... Or perhaps it is more accurate to say I have a different kind of problem... Yes, I will let go of duplicates when I've found a cleaner copy of a lens, for example, but when I do I'll only sell to someone I already know and have confidence in. The folks I know will send gear on the simple promise of payment. I do the same. I always use personal checks since there is no fee involved. Fred Miranda can be a wonderful place to play as a photographer, but that isn't likely to happen on the Buy and Sell forum.

Dec 05, 2017 at 09:51 PM
mpix345
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

It's all about greed. I'm greedy, so I sell here, on other forums and on ebay. I put up with hassles sometimes, from low-ballers, tire-kickers, non-responsiveness, etc., and I assume risk of someone pulling a scam. I do that to get best price for my gear.

I could sell to B&H, Adorama, KEH or others and avoid most all of that hassle, but I'd be accepting fewer dollars for my gear.

It's all pretty simple, I think. Place a value on how much hassle you will accept and then go for it. No sense crying that some rude person didn't respond or backed out of a deal or whatever. You have choices.

Dec 10, 2017 at 01:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

CGrindahl wrote:
I concluded the best way to handle face to face transactions involving significant cash is to meet the seller at a branch of my bank...

+1

Couple of years ago, I sold about $4k worth of gear to a guy from New Brunswick (next province, over). Met him at a bank about halfway between our homes. Deposited the cash, and drove home, feeling awesome.

Dec 10, 2017 at 04:38 PM
Joey55
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

While this thread got started by noting a decline in common courtesy it did eventually evolve into how best to handle payments.

I hope you don't mind this post . Please feel free to refer me to another thread I've not seen if this is not the best place to pursue this subject. I don't do a lot beyond the Buy and Sell Board on FM (I know, I know...).

I read through all four pages of this thread last night and decided to make some changes on how I post items for sale.

I, fortunately, haven't had many of the problems mentioned above but think I'd better serve myself and other legitimate members by changing my payment methods.

I nearly always do regular PayPal for lower-priced items and include it in the price but recently have adopted the "net to seller" approach to higher dollar items.

I'd like experienced members to tell me if the following makes sense:

1) Accept only "regular" PayPal (no gift) and build the fee into the price of the item.

2) Accept a USPS money order as an alternative payment to PP without a fee to achieve a lower price for the buyer. Item shipped when MO arrives and is cashed successfully.

My feedback is currently 136 with no "fair" or "poor".

Wha'daya think folks?

Jan 08, 2018 at 10:59 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

1. Regular PP only and list your price to include PP, full insurance (your responsibility in any case) and shipping.

2. Accept USPS MO, or other no fee methods, e.g., Wells Fargo SurePay or whatever the hell it's called today.

As to #2, make absolutely certain that you have had telephonic contact - FaceTime or Skype is your friend - with person, advise that you are keeping a transcript of the conversation, audio and video, and invite them to do likewise. As well, in that conversation, secure there hard address, google earth it, while in the conversation and check to see if it comports with the PP verified address, assuming they have a PP account. Just a cross-check. If they do not allow this, inquire "why not." If person refuses to allow that, walk on by.

YMMV

Jan 08, 2018 at 05:52 PM
Joey55
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

Great input, thank you!

Jan 08, 2018 at 06:04 PM
teddoman
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

Joey55 wrote:
I'd like experienced members to tell me if the following makes sense:

1) Accept only "regular" PayPal (no gift) and build the fee into the price of the item.

To me, the PP fee is what I am paying for a secure transaction. It's hard to expect to have my cake (a secure transaction) and to eat it too (no fees).
Joey55 wrote:
2) Accept a USPS money order as an alternative payment to PP without a fee to achieve a lower price for the buyer. Item shipped when MO arrives and is cashed successfully.

In reality, a bank may not charge you back on a MO until it is discovered months later.

Jan 08, 2018 at 08:53 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

^^^ Authenticity of USPS money orders can be verified online. Just ask the buyer to send you an image of the money order and the USPS receipt. That’s pretty much all you need to go online to check that the money order is authentic. I have no hesitation accepting them at all, and would prefer if new/low feedback members pay me using them.

Jan 08, 2018 at 09:34 PM
Joey55
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

Great, thank you teddoman and mitesh. Appreciate your thoughts.

Jan 08, 2018 at 10:10 PM
teddoman
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

mitesh wrote:
^^^ Authenticity of USPS money orders can be verified online. Just ask the buyer to send you an image of the money order and the USPS receipt. That’s pretty much all you need to go online to check that the money order is authentic. I have no hesitation accepting them at all, and would prefer if new/low feedback members pay me using them.

How do you do that? I briefly googled but didn't find anything that gave me any confidence.

Post offices don't track the buyers of the MO, so what useful info could a verification system really use to confirm authenticity? It seems likely to me like you might be able to verify if it's a valid MO number at most. However, that's not equivalent to verifying that the MO in your hand is the actual valid MO. Someone could buy a valid MO and then forge copies. I'm sure there are creative ways to defeat the system.

Jan 09, 2018 at 10:21 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

FWIW, for several years I bought and sold equipment of the sort where only USPS MO’s were the currency of the transaction. When I sold, I had the item(s) AND the MO. Upon receipt of MO, I took it to USPS to cash, but first asked the clerk to verify it’s authenticity. A supervisor inspected it, confirmed that it was authentic, clerk cashed the MO, I took money and sent out the item. Never failed.

Jan 10, 2018 at 08:30 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

Same here. I used postal money orders and certified cheques. I'd still do it now, but that would require paper, and I can't remember what that was.

Jan 10, 2018 at 02:36 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

, Jim. And I've forgotten how to write script. Sister Mary David is rolling over in her grave.

Jan 10, 2018 at 02:54 PM
Joey55
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

Is "script" the same as what we used to call "cursive"?

I don't think they teach that anymore. And I've heard it on good authority that certain Sisters have ways of slapping one with a ruler from beyond the grave so let's be careful out there!

Jan 10, 2018 at 03:30 PM
teddoman
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

Joey55 wrote:
Is "script" the same as what we used to call "cursive"?

I don't think they teach that anymore. And I've heard it on good authority that certain Sisters have ways of slapping one with a ruler from beyond the grave so let's be careful out there!

My nyc wife calls it script. I'm not from around here, and I call it cursive. Must be a regionalism.

The family member of mine that got scammed took the MO to the bank and deposited it only to get it clawed back months later. I guess cashing it at the post office might be the smartest way to do it, *if* they can scan the MO right then and there for validity.

Jan 10, 2018 at 05:43 PM
Joey55
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

Ah, good distinction! Will cash at P.O. Thx

Jan 10, 2018 at 05:49 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Buy & Sell turning into Craigslist

Yes, by all means, cash it at the PO. FWIW, somebody sends a fake USPS MO, they are jumped all over by USPS Investigative division as well as the FBI. While not perfect, that level of scrutiny deters a whole crap pot full of the schmucks who try to get over. To use USPS MO you really, really have to want the item because getting one requires a major energy investment, what with going to the PO, waiting in a line, etc., etc. So, when I had to require its use because of the nature of the item, I knew damn well the probability of a scammer was as close to zero as one could get. In fairness, I have to say that at least one other major investigative agency would have been involved in the investigative activity.

Jan 10, 2018 at 08:10 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.