New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Snagged an X-E3 today

Steve Wan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Snagged an X-E3 today

I am almost embarrassed to admit this but I went into my local camera store this afternoon just as the UPS truck was leaving. Among a bunch of other Fuji stuff was a single X-E3. I whipped out the plastic and carried her home!

Here are my thoughts. First of all I am coming from the X-E2 which I preferred over the other Fuji offerings. I like the left side viewfinder of the rangefinder style body, it keeps my face off the back of the camera and frees my left eye to see what else is around me. The optical finder of the Pro isn't something that I need, want, or would use so the smaller form factor of the X-E was another plus.

Now for the X-E3. Camera worked perfectly right out of the box. Battery is the same as my X-E2, that's a plus. Even though the camera is about a 1/4 inch less in width it is actually a bit easier to hold onto due to a more prominent nub on the back and a slightly deeper finger grip on the front.

Setting the camera up was a breeze being already familiar with Fuji menus. The new joystick controller is way better in use than the old four way controller pad. Fast and responsive it lets you make menu selections very easily.

The biggest change of course is the touch screen. Mine works smoothly in the same way my iPhone does so no complaints there. And its use is optional if you prefer.

The power switch snicks on and off with satisfying authority absent in the former model. The command dial press function does seem a tiny bit more vague or spongy than the E2 which is more distinct, if you will. But nothing to bother about. The actual construction of the body is every bit the equal of the one it replaces.

So all good so far.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:08 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Snagged an X-E3 today

Congrats Steve! That's my impression as well.

Mine is all packed up and ready to fly to London tomorrow. I bought the Tenba Messenger DNA 8. It's a bit snug, but I wanted to go with the smallest bag possible. In it is the X-E3 with the kit zoom mounted, the Samyang 12mm, my old M mount 35mm Nikkor (circa 1958) with adapter ring, two extra batteries, my iPad Mini, a Peak Design wrist strap, a Peak Design mirrorless sling strap a 77mm polarizer with appropriate step up rings for the two lenses.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:22 PM
Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Snagged an X-E3 today

OK, I got to shoot a bit before darkness ensued. Just as you would expect the output was classic Fuji with great auto white balance. No point in posting pictures because if you've seen any of the current models you know what it produces. So no surprises there. I did spend about a half hour switching my 23 f2 back and forth between the XE2 and XE3 and I can say categorically that the 3 is faster than the 2 (which I didn't consider a slouch with current firmware by any means). And if you use one of the other modes besides single center point on the smallest square, it is essentially instantaneous!

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:51 PM
Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Snagged an X-E3 today

dmacmillan wrote:

Mine is all packed up and ready to fly to London tomorrow. I bought the Tenba Messenger DNA 8. It's a bit snug, but I wanted to go with the smallest bag possible. In it is the X-E3 with the kit zoom mounted, the Samyang 12mm, my old M mount 35mm Nikkor (circa 1958) with adapter ring, two extra batteries, my iPad Mini, a Peak Design wrist strap, a Peak Design mirrorless sling strap a 77mm polarizer with appropriate step up rings for the two lenses.

Good for you! You can use the plane ride to play with it and be ready to go upon arrival!

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:55 PM
jecottrell
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Snagged an X-E3 today

dmacmillan wrote:
Mine is all packed up and ready to fly to London tomorrow.

I just returned Tuesday from London, do you need any ideas or suggestions?

Oct 13, 2017 at 04:59 AM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Snagged an X-E3 today

Congratulations, Steve! I hope you continue to enjoy your new X-E3.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:20 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Snagged an X-E3 today

jecottrell wrote:
I just returned Tuesday from London, do you need any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for the offer! This is a business trip for my wife. She is scouting foe a Studies Abroad trip next year. Most of our time will be taken meeting with the organization that has planned the trip and visiting the sites they have in mind. They are public health/nursing related. We do plan to visit a market, the Beatles Store and the British War museum Sunday.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:47 AM
DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Snagged an X-E3 today

My X-E3 will arrive on Tuesday. I have the X-T2 and need a backup for a trip to Cuba as I don't want to be there with only one camera in case something breaks. It's not like you can run to the local camera store and get a replacement.

I think I will enjoy the X-E3 and plan to keep the 23mm or 35mm prime mounted on it for quick access. I ordered the kit with the 23mm f/2. Need to pick up the 35mm f/2 and am hoping it might be part of Fuji's rumored rebates. If not, I'll be looking quickly for a used copy.

Oct 14, 2017 at 03:37 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Snagged an X-E3 today

dmacmillan wrote:

I'm curious about the peak design straps. Were you able to string the anchor links through the lugs, or are you using the Fuji supplied split rings like I had to do because the anchor link strings are too thick to pull through the lugs? I even tried running some fishing line through the lug, then through the loop of the anchor, then back through the lug to try to "pull" them through with no success. Hoping you found a better way!

Oct 14, 2017 at 04:12 PM
DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Snagged an X-E3 today

Greg,

On my X-T2, my wife watched me fighting to get Peak Design links through that tiny eye without success. She grabbed a sewing needle and thread and had it done in about 60 seconds, similar to what you tried with fishing line. I hope the E-X3 doesn't have even smaller holes.

Of course her answer was that it takes a woman to do the job. I couldn't argue and simply thanked her.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jrscls
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Snagged an X-E3 today

The new Peak Design anchors will go through the lugs without the split rings easily. See link below or they come with the new version of the Cuff wrist strap.

https://www.peakdesign.com/anchor-4-pack

Oct 15, 2017 at 01:56 AM
ggweci

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Snagged an X-E3 today

gregfountain wrote:
I'm curious about the peak design straps. Were you able to string the anchor links through the lugs, or are you using the Fuji supplied split rings like I had to do because the anchor link strings are too thick to pull through the lugs? I even tried running some fishing line through the lug, then through the loop of the anchor, then back through the lug to try to "pull" them through with no success. Hoping you found a better way!

The newest version of Peak Design anchor links have a thinner cord that works through the lugs without the need for the split rings. I've used them like so on my Sonys without issue. Should work with the Fujis as well.

Oct 15, 2017 at 02:02 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Snagged an X-E3 today

I used the split rings after trying to thread through the lugs. Having a great time in London and the X-E3 is performing admirably. I'm getting used to the new shooting style. I ran into a fellow Fuji shooter sporting a just purchased 16-55. That lens is huge!

Oct 15, 2017 at 09:32 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Snagged an X-E3 today

dmacmillan wrote:
I used the split rings after trying to thread through the lugs. Having a great time in London and the X-E3 is performing admirably. I'm getting used to the new shooting style. I ran into a fellow Fuji shooter sporting a just purchased 16-55. That lens is huge!

Love to see some indoor shots at the local pub. Enjoy your stay.

Oct 15, 2017 at 09:38 AM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Snagged an X-E3 today

DougVaughn wrote:

Of course her answer was that it takes a woman to do the job. I couldn't argue and simply thanked her.

Ahh.. the voice of wisdom.

Oct 15, 2017 at 05:14 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Snagged an X-E3 today

jrscls wrote:
The new Peak Design anchors will go through the lugs without the split rings easily. See link below or they come with the new version of the Cuff wrist strap.

https://www.peakdesign.com/anchor-4-pack

thanks. I just ordered a set!

Thanks again. I ended up ordering the four-pack as well as the cuff, which comes with two, so I have an extra set when I get a backup camera and a couple of spares for wear and tear. They installed easily with the string pull-through method.

Edited on Oct 19, 2017 at 05:07 PM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2017 at 07:20 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Snagged an X-E3 today

leighton w wrote:
Love to see some indoor shots at the local pub. Enjoy your stay.

Will do!

Oct 15, 2017 at 07:38 PM
CoastalSC32

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Snagged an X-E3 today

I see this as the perfect entry into fuji for me. Small, love the range file style and doesnt break the bank. Coming from canon

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:30 PM
Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Snagged an X-E3 today

Itís been a few days now and I continue to be increasingly impressed with this camera. The high ISO performance is impressive, 12,800 ISO is more than usable. Upgrading to this camera has made all my lenses two stops faster!

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:41 PM
Scott T
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Snagged an X-E3 today

DougVaughn wrote:
My X-E3 will arrive on Tuesday. I have the X-T2 and need a backup for a trip to Cuba as I don't want to be there with only one camera in case something breaks. It's not like you can run to the local camera store and get a replacement.

I think I will enjoy the X-E3 and plan to keep the 23mm or 35mm prime mounted on it for quick access. I ordered the kit with the 23mm f/2. Need to pick up the 35mm f/2 and am hoping it might be part of Fuji's rumored rebates. If not, I'll be
...Show more

I'm planning a move to Fuji, was waiting for the rebates to kick in, was hoping/expecting them to be more substantial, so will likely be looking at used also.

I think the X-E3 will be a nice complement to the x-t2 for travel and thinking of doing the same combo. 18mm looks like a nice lens for a compact kit. Interested in your thoughts when you get back and pros/cons of either.

I went to Havana 2 yrs ago, doubt much has changed if I can add any insight to your planning, just let me know.

Oct 20, 2017 at 01:20 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password