Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

Made a small purchase of a camera bag. Used PayPal for payment, as I do 99% of the time. Next thing you know I get this email from PayPal (XXXs are mine):

"Your payment to XXX on Oct 12, 2017 is pending. We’ve placed a temporary pending status on this transaction.

Amount: $104.47 USD
Transaction ID: XXX
Seller: XXX

View the details of this transaction at: (URL removed by me)

To comply with government regulations, PayPal is required to review certain transactions. The payment you sent is currently being reviewed and we will complete this process within 72 hours. This review only involves this transaction and does not affect the use of your PayPal account. For more information, see Government regulations and policies."

I could have driven to the store and picked the damn bag up! Anybody else have a hold placed on a purchase for no good reason? And good luck trying to find the reason on PayPal's web site!

- Steve

Oct 12, 2017 at 08:58 PM
bargainguy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

Never happened to me, but I can think of two reasons this might be going on:

1. Seller is under some type of investigation by paypal and they don't want to be a party to a possibly fraudulent transaction.

2. Paypal's algorithm detected something amiss and wants to review before the transaction is completed.

You can always call paypal and see if they can explain the situation better than I can.

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:07 PM
nhunt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

Any chance you're buying the bag from a Mr. Kim in the Bad Korea?

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:09 PM
tchoula
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

I had that happen on a small transaction also. Still have no idea why, but it did clear in about 24 hours.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:41 PM
greg swan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

It happens about once a month with my online store, Paypal says it has to do with Federal regs. Has always been released within their 72 hr time frame

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:44 PM
Chdwil
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

Did you use a credit card or checking account? If checking then there may be a hold.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:16 PM
jberry
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

Never got that email, but I always use my credit card through PayPal, could be that your using your bank (Federal Regulations).

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:33 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

jberry wrote:
Never got that email, but I always use my credit card through PayPal, could be that your using your bank (Federal Regulations).

I've ALWAYS used my bank, which is directly tied to my PayPal account. I've been purchasing this way for many years.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:50 PM
Captmatt
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

It happened to me after I sold an $800 lens that I shipped out the next day. They held my money for a week, stating some "standard industry practice" BS. II have gotten refunds, from someones PAYPAL balance, that took a week to clear. I have really learned to hate PayPal and all of their nonsense, but I use them because the alternative is worse.

Oct 13, 2017 at 01:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

If a seller makes a bunch of sales very quick, papal freezes all money. Even if the seller wanted to refund you he can't. There are good sellers all over youtube complaining about this. I'm not sure if you figured this out but it has nothing to do with government regulations.

Oct 13, 2017 at 02:09 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

Andrew J wrote:
If a seller makes a bunch of sales very quick, papal freezes all money.

Why? What does one thing have to do with the other?

Oct 13, 2017 at 03:47 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

It's all done by a computer, no people are involved. This is their anti-fraud system. If the money is frozen ebay can't lose.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:35 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

Andrew J wrote:
It's all done by a computer, no people are involved. This is their anti-fraud system. If the money is frozen ebay can't lose.

How do you know that the whole process has nothing to do with "Government Regulations?"

- Steve

Oct 13, 2017 at 03:04 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

Please point me to any single law regarding camera bags.

Oct 13, 2017 at 04:11 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

Andrew J wrote:
Please point me to any single law regarding camera bags.

Funny reply. I appreciate the humor. But PayPal's hold on my order has nothing to do with WHAT was purchased. It has to do with the fact that there was simply a transaction, which is still a mystery to me. I have not been able to contact anyone at PayPal via phone. Wait time is 45-60 minutes. First time I tried I got a voice prompt telling me their phone service was unavailable. "Try again later," the prompt added. What a ridiculous inconvenience overall.

- Steve

Oct 14, 2017 at 03:45 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

If you get a person they will not by-pass the automatic freeze no matter what.

Oct 14, 2017 at 08:27 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

Andrew J wrote:
If you get a person they will not by-pass the automatic freeze no matter what.

You're right. I finally talked with a supervisor at PayPal. He had no information to provide and no authority to get my purchase going. But he did give me the email address for PayPal's Transaction Compliance department. I've written to them and am waiting for a reply.

- Steve

Oct 15, 2017 at 01:13 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Has anyone experienced this with PayPal?

As it turns out, I've just received an email from PayPal telling me the purchase has been reversed/rejected and that they have refunded my payment. No reason for any of this. Go figure.

— Steve

Oct 15, 2017 at 02:10 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password