New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              60      
       end

FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

imagesfromobjects

Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #1 · p.61 #1 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Less than 24 hours in, and I have ZERO complaints about this lens. The only other lens I have experience with in this league is the Fujnon XF 35/1.4, and this lens feels very similar to me. Renders in a way which is both modern and classic at the same time, razor sharp wide open. I'm not seeing any issues with softness at close range, except in the cases where I'm missing focus - easy to do at 1.2, which is where this one seems to be stuck at. At least until the weather gets a little warmer and I venture outside.

Couple test shots from around the house today:

annoyed wife sharpness reportage test = passed. by optic.nervous, on Flickr
cat lunging into shallow DOF / focus throw test = passed. by optic.nervous, on Flickr
extreme backlight / manic toddler with a bagel test = passed. by optic.nervous, on Flickr

Jan 14, 2018 at 08:18 PM
zaphodm

p.61 #2 · p.61 #2 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

wolfloid wrote:
Thanks Makten and Rsrsrs. I was hoping the 40/2 would be better than you portray it since it woul make such a small package

If you get a good, modern copy it's really not bad. I have one of the newer, better-coated Minolta CL(E?) versions, in not-bad condition. It's not perfect, there is some wearing in the coatings for example.

At f/2.0 it's not very sharp. But the images are usable, and on an A7rII the files handle some sharpening to get it sharp-ish.
At f/2.8 I would call it acceptably sharp in the centre, and the rendering of the OOF areas is pretty good.
At f/4-f/5.6 it's decent across most of the frame.
By f/8 it's landscape-worthy to the edges.

It's not to the standard of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2, obviously. But it's half the size (it is tiny), and half (maybe) the price (for a good one). If you want 40mm and only have $400-500, this lens is a good choice.

(I also like the foldable rubber hood, it's cute.)

ps After looking at eBay prices, this lens seems to have gone up quite a bit in the last couple of years. If those prices are indicative, just buy the Voigtlander.

Jan 15, 2018 at 04:03 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.61 #3 · p.61 #3 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

zaphodm wrote:
If you want 40mm and only have $400-500, this lens is a good choice.

Or get the Ultron 40/2. It's not as small, but it's cheaper and better. Also, such tiny lenses as the Leica/Rokkor isn't really pleasing to use, ergonomics-wise.

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:05 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.61 #4 · p.61 #4 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
As I usually shoot landscapes under lower contrast lighting, I tested the CV 40/1.2 at infinity distance again. I wanted to confirm my previous findings with more precision and find out what's the best way to focus it, in order to minimize FC and focus shift.

I tested it at thirds of stop and with my copy, resolution across the field is optimal at f/4.5. Any smaller aperture does not increase resolution even towards the corners. (I can se a slight gain from f/4 and none at f/5)

Here are the crops at f/4.5 showing center, mid-field and extreme edge sections.
...Show more

These photos do not have the magenta CA edges that the original photos on page 1 have even at f/6.3.

Does Lightroom have a lens profile for this lens yet, as I can't confirm, and is that the difference in the photos I see. Maybe it is a longitudinal CA correction?

Thanks, Fred for any help on this.

Jan 15, 2018 at 08:07 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.61 #5 · p.61 #5 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

JimBuchanan wrote:
These photos do not have the magenta CA edges that the original photos on page 1 have even at f/6.3.

Does Lightroom have a lens profile for this lens yet, as I can't confirm, and is that the difference in the photos I see. Maybe it is a longitudinal CA correction?

Thanks, Fred for any help on this.

I am not Fred, but Lightroom does have a lens profile and the sliders in Lightroom to kill CA do a more than adequate job for the images I have taken. I notice the issue mostly when wide open or close but other than an additional step occasionally in post, I have not found the issue to be a problem.

Jan 15, 2018 at 08:10 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.61 #6 · p.61 #6 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Luvwine wrote:
I am not Fred, but Lightroom does have a lens profile and the sliders in Lightroom to kill CA do a more than adequate job for the images I have taken. I notice the issue mostly when wide open or close but other than an additional step occasionally in post, I have not found the issue to be a problem.

For clarity, I was referring to this post on page 10,
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512530/9#14220294
infinity shots taken at f/4.5 showing very little CA

and this post on page one,
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512530/0#14213722
infinity shots taken at f/4.0 thru f/6.3 showing excessive CA

I am aware of the remove CA check box and the purple fringing slider in LR. I'm asking if either of these were used in the test shots referenced, or if LR has a lens correction for the 40/1.2 and if it was used.

According to this adobe link,
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html
the only recent Voigtlander lens for Sony FE with a profile is the 65/2 APO.

My interest is in this lens and the upcoming Voigtlander 35/1.4 FE lens.

Jan 16, 2018 at 06:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.61 #7 · p.61 #7 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

JimBuchanan wrote:
For clarity, I was referring to this post on page 10,
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512530/9#14220294
infinity shots taken at f/4.5 showing very little CA

and this post on page one,
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512530/0#14213722
infinity shots taken at f/4.0 thru f/6.3 showing excessive CA

I am aware of the remove CA check box and the purple fringing slider in LR. I'm asking if either of these were used in the test shots referenced, or if LR has a lens correction for the 40/1.2 and if it was used.

According to this adobe link,
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html
the only recent Voigtlander lens for Sony FE with a profile is the 65/2 APO.

My interest is in this lens and
...Show more

Jim,
Most native lenses have a RAW CA correction built-in (applied), even if the corrections are turned OFF in-camera. The CV 40/1.2 does not have that and to reduce LaCA in Lightroom, a profile correction needs to be applied (LR has a profile for this lens) OR "Remove Chromatic Aberration" needs to be checked.

I don't remember if I checked that box in Lightroom for those samples but this lens shows noticeable lateral CA when uncorrected. Aberration control is definitely not it's forte.

Jan 16, 2018 at 06:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

goo0h

p.61 #8 · p.61 #8 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
Jim,
Most native lenses have a RAW CA correction built-in (applied), even if the corrections are turned OFF in-camera. The CV 40/1.2 does not have that and to reduce LaCA in Lightroom, a profile correction needs to be applied (LR has a profile for this lens) OR "Remove Chromatic Aberration" needs to be checked.

I don't remember if I checked that box in Lightroom for those samples but this lens shows noticeable lateral CA when uncorrected. Aberration control is definitely not it's forte.

Has anybody done this for CaptureOne?

Amos

Jan 16, 2018 at 06:44 PM
imagesfromobjects

p.61 #9 · p.61 #9 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Went for a walk, ran into a buddy on the way, snapped this crossing the street:

Jan 16, 2018 at 06:59 PM
imagesfromobjects

p.61 #10 · p.61 #10 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

goo0h wrote:
Has anybody done this for CaptureOne?

Amos

You can. I've only had the lens two days, but there may or may not be in-camera corrections applied, and a "Manufacturer" (as distinct from "Generic") profile shows up in C1 by default on import. I'm using an a7 without any firmware update, so I can only assume the lens is able to transmit some sort of data to the camera - along with distance and aperture - without the camera knowing specifically *which* lens is being used.

Technology is a magical, magical thing.

I've turned off the in-camera settings, and turn off all automatic corrections when I import into C1, because I want to get a feel for how this lens behaves "in the raw" before I start applying corrections willy-nilly. There is definitely CA in heavily backlit foliage shots, but it's definitely easy to fix in C1 via Lens Corrections or Layers, if you prefer a local adjustment.

The shot of my kiddo with a bagel had zero corrections applied, and defaults off in-camera as well as in C1, so you can see that it's still quite impressive without any corrections.

Edited on Jan 16, 2018 at 08:56 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2018 at 07:06 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.61 #11 · p.61 #11 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
Jim,

Thanks, Fred.

That second set on page 10 looks so much better in regards to CA. Whatever LR did, it looks way more clean than simply turning the magenta to gray.

Jan 16, 2018 at 08:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.61 #12 · p.61 #12 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

JimBuchanan wrote:
Thanks, Fred.

That second set on page 10 looks so much better in regards to CA. Whatever LR did, it looks way more clean than simply turning the magenta to gray.

Yeap, it cleans up very nicely. Interestingly the "Remove Chromatic Aberration" option also clean a little bit of axial CA...so it's not only lateral. However further reduction of LoCA requires the manual sliders.

Jan 16, 2018 at 08:45 PM
DaveFP
• •
p.61 #13 · p.61 #13 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Anyone willing to compare this to the CV 35/1.2 II ?

Jan 16, 2018 at 09:41 PM
sebbe
• •
p.61 #14 · p.61 #14 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Another one from Venice. This time with a desaturated approach.

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical lens    40mm    f/2.8    1/25s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 17, 2018 at 08:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password