• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

PEKA62 wrote:
Damn.
I have the Lox 35 and 50.
Tell me, why I don't want and don't need this 40/1.2
Can you?

I also have the Loxia 35 and 50, and I ordered the Nokton yesterday. My plan is to get rid of both Loxias, but only if the Nokton is good enough across the frame (stopped down) with flat subjects. If not, I'll keep the 50.

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:02 AM
farfisa
• •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
Leica just proved that under-correction of spherical and color aberration doesn't have to reflect negatively on the asking price.
Character lenses like the new Leica Thambar-M 90/2.2 can still cost $6,495!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1367466-REG/leica_11697_thambar_m_90mm_f_2_2_lens.html

Guy, I just tested the CV 40/1.2. it's your turn to test this Leica!

Woah, this looks more like a Kickstarter campaign than an actual Leica release!

To each their own!

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:30 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Here is another sunstar sample at f/2.8 showcasing detail and OOF smoothness a closer distance.

Oct 18, 2017 at 03:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

As I usually shoot landscapes under lower contrast lighting, I tested the CV 40/1.2 at infinity distance again. I wanted to confirm my previous findings with more precision and find out what's the best way to focus it, in order to minimize FC and focus shift.

I tested it at thirds of stop and with my copy, resolution across the field is optimal at f/4.5. Any smaller aperture does not increase resolution even towards the corners. (I can se a slight gain from f/4 and none at f/5)

By checking a series of focus bracket shots at 1:1 and 2:1 magnification, the best performance across the frame was achieved when moving the focusing ring a very slight tad before the lens' hard stop (same way as I focus my Loxia 21). The best corners and mid-field were achieved at the lens' hard stop....so the tad was for the center. I'm not sure there is much variation on how this lens is calibrated but that's how it behaves on my copy. It's important to focus at shooting aperture to minimize focus shift.

Here are the crops at f/4.5 showing center, mid-field and extreme edge sections. As I wrote previously, I would not hesitate using this lens for landscapes.

Very good extreme corners

Outstanding mid-field

Outstanding center

Oct 18, 2017 at 04:17 PM
grahamgibson
• •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Stop posting those sunstar pics with bokeh... it's seriously tempting

Like someone else said, do you have the 55/1.8 for comparison?

Oct 18, 2017 at 05:08 PM
PEKA62
• •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
I would not hesitate using this lens for landscapes.

Would you prefer it to the Loxia 35?

Oct 18, 2017 at 05:26 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

PEKA62 wrote:
Would you prefer it to the Loxia 35?

I had a good copy of the Loxia 35 and I would say that if the CV 40/1.2 if focused optimally, it's actually better everywhere at f/4.5. (Including center). I've used the Loxia for a while and believe it has a slight more pronounced and wavy field curvature. The CV 35/1.7 Ultron is still ahead (with the 5m PCX) but the CV 40/1.2 is not far behind.

Oct 18, 2017 at 06:35 PM
patotts
• • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Enough of this, order placed.

Oct 18, 2017 at 06:50 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
As I usually shoot landscapes under lower contrast lighting, I tested the CV 40/1.2 at infinity distance again. I wanted to confirm my previous findings with more precision and find out what's the best way to focus it, in order to minimize FC and focus shift.

I tested it at thirds of stop and with my copy, resolution across the field is optimal at f/4.5. Any smaller aperture does not increase resolution even towards the corners. (I can se a slight gain from f/4 and none at f/5)

By checking a series of focus bracket shots at 1:1 and 2:1 magnification,
...Show more

Yes that’s how my copy behaves; mid aperture corners best at hard stop, centre best backed off more than a tad, compromise (which you can find by focussing on some parts of the midfield, though too far out and it goes with corners) backed off a tiny bit.

Oct 18, 2017 at 08:02 PM
PEKA62
• •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
I had a good copy of the Loxia 35 and I would say that if the CV 40/1.2 if focused optimally, it's actually better everywhere at f/4.5. (Including center). I've used the Loxia for a while and believe it has a slight more pronounced and wavy field curvature.

How do they compare at f/2 ? Is the CV also better there?

Oct 18, 2017 at 08:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

PEKA62 wrote:
How do they compare at f/2 ? Is the CV also better there?

Yes, at CENTER, the CV 40/1.2 is already outstanding at f/1.7 (same level as the CV 35/1.7) and way better than the Loxia 35 wide open. What I meant by "f/4.5 being optimum" was for resolution across the entire image field combined with FC masking.

Oct 18, 2017 at 08:58 PM
PEKA62
• •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Thanks Fred, also for your effort on the review.
Mine is on order, I'll see if I let go the Lox 35 and 50 for this one or if it goes back.

Oct 18, 2017 at 09:54 PM
davewolfs
• • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Lol. Fred just hook lined and sinkered y’all.

Really though. Fred you’ve done a great job of showcasing the lens.

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:13 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Man this thing is fun at night...

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

DavidBM wrote:
Man this thing is fun at night...

Looks great David! Although I know the specular highlights are not clean, I have not seeing any "onion bokeh" that bothered me yet. That's not the case with the 35/1.4 ZA and 55/1.8 ZA.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:08 AM
patotts
• • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

So will the Leica-mount version be the same in terms of optical performance?

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:13 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
Looks great David! Although I know the specular highlights are not clean, I have not seeing any "onion bokeh" that bothered me yet. That's not the case with the 35/1.4 ZA and 55/1.8 ZA.

Yeah. Having decided to keep it, the distributor told me he needs the review copy back coz it's sold!

But I think I will get one...

I think it's easy to deal with the compromises.
But I would pay more for the same thing with fewer compromises. I wonder if it's commercially possible to make a lens this size and specs, but close to APO and a bit better in a couple of other respects, for, say double the price or less (which would be my personal limit). Probably not, but we are more or less in the mirrorless advantage range here.

I hear rumours that Zeiss may have a mirrorless-no compromise series that will happen. Think outs or the most recent Milvus quality and speed goals, with some of that weight taken away by the mirrorless advantage for the wider lenses. If the wides came in at 600g rather than 1.2kg,then something in that range might be tempting...

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:28 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

DavidBM wrote:
Yeah. Having decided to keep it, the distributor told me he needs the review copy back coz it's sold!

But I think I will get one...

I think it's easy to deal with the compromises.
But I would pay more for the same thing with fewer compromises. I wonder if it's commercially possible to make a lens this size and specs, but close to APO and a bit better in a couple of other respects, for, say double the price or less (which would be my personal limit). Probably not, but we are more or less in the mirrorless advantage range here.

I
...Show more

I think the CV 40/1.2's under-correction flaws is that makes rendering pleasant though. Perhaps a better corrected lens with similar rendering could be made while maintaining the size but price would be excessively high for the Sony E-mount market.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:54 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:

One of the striking things about this lens that I didn't expect really is the effect of the f1.2 on exposure.

Generally I say "you don't buy a fast lens for light gathering these days, you buy if for the DOF effects" and that's often true.

But because this lens is usable at f1.2, and looks no nice for portrait stuff at night at f1.2, you really do end up close to base ISO wandering around handheld in the city at night, which makes an old film user like me a bit giddy. And in mixed city light (or social photos in restaurants etc) you often need to lift shadows or dodge quite a bit, to the point where "the high ISO on modern cameras is so good", while true, is starting to be not quite enough...

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:00 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
I think the CV 40/1.2's under-correction flaws is that makes rendering pleasant though. Perhaps a better corrected lens with similar rendering could be made while maintaining the size but price would be excessively high for the Sony E-mount market.

Oh, I don't know about excessively high price for the E-mount market - if Zeiss can charge $2K for the 135/2.8 Batis, why not $2K for a very well correctly 40/1.2? Maybe this isn't possible for $2K and it's really in Leica fast prime territory for price . . . but I'd find a way to pay $2K for this lens if it was really sharp wide open in the middle third of the frame, had a little less bokeh goodness, had no onion rings, and was still very sharp at f/5.6 across the frame. I might just be dreaming though . .

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:12 AM
1       2       3              9      
       11              37       38       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11              37       38       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password