FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              37      
       end

FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

GMPhotography
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.38 #1 · p.38 #1 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I have something I could try a Hassy 60mm filter but I think itís a plus 2. Itís sitting here doing nothing anyway. I have more leftovers than I can keep track of. Lol

Nov 18, 2017 at 04:43 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.38 #2 · p.38 #2 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes they were handheld but I can see a noticeable difference in sharpness when focusing. For example, peaking gets much more apparent with the close-up lens. This was not a precise test as I noted, but I think tripod examples wonít be too much different.

The impression of "clarity", or contrast perhaps as the peaking reacts differently, may remain pretty much the same. However, a fair comparison would be nice considering the images may serve as reason to buy an Elpro or not. I'm interested in how much black turns into something brownish for example. Thinking about it I'll get the Elpro 4 anyway, and sets of step-up and -down rings.

Nov 18, 2017 at 04:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.38 #3 · p.38 #3 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I think the Elpro 4 is worth it because it has a good sweet spot. Itís not just a contrast improvement, there is resolution gain as well.

However, close to MFD, the difference is small since we stay below 1m with close up lens. Starting at 0.7m, the lens goes to ~ 2m with the lpro4 so there is a noticeable gain.

If you mainly shoot close ups at 0.7m, the lpro3 or Nikon 5t are even better since the lens will focus at infinity (instead of 2m)

Jonas B wrote:
The impression of "clarity", or contrast perhaps as the peaking reacts differently, may remain pretty much the same. However, a fair comparison would be nice considering the images may serve as reason to buy an Elpro or not. I'm interested in how much black turns into something brownish for example. Thinking about it I'll get the Elpro 4 anyway, and sets of step-up and -down rings.

Nov 18, 2017 at 05:12 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.38 #4 · p.38 #4 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:

(...)
If you mainly shoot close ups at 0.7m, the lpro3 or Nikon 5t are even better since the lens will focus at infinity (instead of 2m)

I have checked and my main "distance of interest" should be between 1 and 2 meters. So, I'll look for the Elpro 4, maybe I can find one with case fitting the lens and the step-down ring making it comfortable to toss into the bag somewhere.

Nov 18, 2017 at 05:18 PM
path_integral

p.38 #5 · p.38 #5 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I am enjoying this lens for B&W captures.

I had both the Loxia 50 and the 50/2 ZM and was very excited for the Voigtlšnder 40/1.2 for street photography in the evenings due to its speed and size. I am hoping to be able to keep ISO at 640 in evening urban settings.

I decided to let the Loxia go and use the 40/1.2 when I want very sharp low light images with minimal noise and keep the 50/2 ZM when I want a (possibly less precise/clinical) classic rendering. Below are two recent images with the 40/1.2 and a Loxia 50 and 50/2 ZM image for comparison.

As a side note, I also have the Zeiss 35 ZM and have at times struggled with the lens on the Sony A7RII. Sometimes I get wonderful results and sometimes I struggle with processing the images. I did get a front filter correction but find it winds up longer than the 90/2 Summicron I have and it makes me not want to carry it around. I am excited to use the Voigtlšnder 40/1.2 a bit more and compare it to the Zeiss. The 35/1.4 ZM often remains glued to my film camera and it will be fun when I finally break down and get a used Leica MM or rent one again.

Voigtlander 40/1.2

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical lens    40mm    f/1.4    1/100s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Voigtlander 40/1.2

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical lens    40mm    f/1.4    1/50s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Zeiss Loxia 50

ILCE-7RM2    Zeiss Loxia 2/50 lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/25s    3200 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Zeiss Planar 50 ZM

ILCE-7RM2    ---- lens    1/15s    640 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4 ZM

ILCE-7RM2    ---- lens    1/100s    800 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Nov 19, 2017 at 04:55 PM
SharpContrast

p.38 #6 · p.38 #6 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

M-Mount version being delivered Friday! Its starting to feel like Christmas has come early 😀 Let's hope it performs as well as the e-mount on the A7rmkii.

Nov 20, 2017 at 02:10 PM
jeffersoncasey

p.38 #7 · p.38 #7 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I'm bringing only my Sony a9, and this wonderful Nokton f1.2 for the trip, and i'm only 3rd day into the trip but can't wait to share some pictures. I didn't felt I'm limited with lens choice (except maybe some food shots in cramped restaurants in Tokyo, 40mm FOV is slightly too tight but still manageable). This combo really reminds me of my RX1R, and more versatile due to bigger aperture and IBIS.

Will share more when I have time again!

Nov 21, 2017 at 01:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Membler
• •
p.38 #8 · p.38 #8 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I received mine this afternoon but I don't have a full frame until I get my A7r3. So a few test shots around the house on the A6500.

Mike

Nov 21, 2017 at 04:06 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.38 #9 · p.38 #9 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Membler wrote:
I received mine this afternoon but I don't have a full frame until I get my A7r3. So a few test shots around the house on the A6500.

Mike

Sony users with Labradoodles unite!

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:46 AM
SharpContrast

p.38 #10 · p.38 #10 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I will be having the m-mount and e-mount versions of this lens for a short while. Are there any specific compaisons you would like me to do for the forum?

Nov 22, 2017 at 06:47 AM
jeffersoncasey

p.38 #11 · p.38 #11 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

The a9 and Nokton combo is probably the closest thing to RX1R without being a fixed lens camera! Still, it doesn't render the bokeh at close range like RX1R which is unique - the transition zone seems to happen immediate and defocused, which sometimes yield a very unique and pleasant look, but sometimes distracting as the in focus area seems thinner than it should and smaller aperture is needed and thus, losing light. It also means I can actually shoot at a bigger aperture on Nokton to achieve the same result, but sharpness I still give it to RX1R. Also I still find I prefer the 35mm focal length as the slightly wider FL seems to suit most situation better than 40mm.

Until something better comes out, especially at 35mm, this lens will remain glued to my a9 for long time.

Nov 22, 2017 at 01:24 PM
InFocus2014
• •
p.38 #12 · p.38 #12 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

This forum is really tough on my bank account! With a shelf full of glass in every imaginable FL, I thought I was done. Now, after reviewing all the photos in this forum thread, I need this lens.

On the other hand, I have missed the RX1R that I sold some time back. I was considering a used RX1RII. Now I think I will re-purpose one of my A7RII's (that I was going to sell when my A7RIII comes), using this Nokton lens for travel. The RX1RII is about 33mm vs the Nokton's 40mm, but I do a lot of stitching for wide-angle shots, anyway... plus, I will have IBIS.

OK, now I am done....

Nov 22, 2017 at 03:00 PM
SharpContrast

p.38 #13 · p.38 #13 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Who speaks Cantonese?
https://youtu.be/uhI_mj17JDc

Nov 22, 2017 at 04:57 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.38 #14 · p.38 #14 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

jeffersoncasey wrote:
The a9 and Nokton combo is probably the closest thing to RX1R without being a fixed lens camera! Still, it doesn't render the bokeh at close range like RX1R which is unique - the transition zone seems to happen immediate and defocused, which sometimes yield a very unique and pleasant look, but sometimes distracting as the in focus area seems thinner than it should and smaller aperture is needed and thus, losing light. It also means I can actually shoot at a bigger aperture on Nokton to achieve the same result, but sharpness I still give it to RX1R. Also
...Show more

I have the CV 35 1.7 and the Pentax 31 Limited. After about a 2 year search, these are the two best alternatives to the RX1. I prefer the Pentax 31 1.8. It's sharp and has brilliant colors WO, but has some fringing (a bit more than the CV but not much, and coma till f4). It also has a bit of SA WO in the best way. Af first I initially found the focusing difficult (focus ring turns the Nikon way) and it's a short focus throw, but I've gotten used to it and can focus very quickly in MF, faster than the CV or zm 35 1.4 I owned. I think Jonas tested, and recently sebboh, but it resolves terrifically at 2.8 all over. The CV gets lots of love on FM (as it should), but I think the pentax would get more love with more exposure.

Nov 22, 2017 at 06:39 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password