FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              61      
       end

FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

imagesfromobjects

Upload & Sell: Off
p.62 #1 · p.62 #1 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

zaphodm wrote:
I've been looking but haven't as yet found them. Are there are any forum posts/articles showing the IQ of the M-Mount version on A7 cameras? I want this lens, but I don't know that I can give up the ability to AF to get it.

Info and samples are still pretty sparse, but if you scroll back through this thread there is at least one person using the M version with a TAP. I'm interested too, because my FE mount absolutely smokes anything I've ever used at maximum aperture, so it would be worth looking into an M mount for the future.

Jan 20, 2018 at 03:38 PM
zaphodm

p.62 #2 · p.62 #2 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

imagesfromobjects wrote:
Info and samples are still pretty sparse, but if you scroll back through this thread there is at least one person using the M version with a TAP. I'm interested too, because my FE mount absolutely smokes anything I've ever used at maximum aperture, so it would be worth looking into an M mount for the future.

There's also currently a difference of AU$400 (~US320) between the two (at least at one Australian retailer), so that comes into play for me too.

Jan 20, 2018 at 03:43 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.62 #3 · p.62 #3 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

zaphodm wrote:
Thank you, Jonas! This thread, though I have read much of the 61 pages, is a tricky one to keep straight in your head at times (or remember exactly where things are).

Oh, you are welcome. I happened to remember the comparisons SharpContrast made as I found them interesting.

If you can get used to focus manually I strongly recommend the FE-mount version. If you plan to buy a Leica camera at some point it's another thing but with a Sony you'll get sharper and better looking images with the FE version of the lens.

Jan 20, 2018 at 03:46 PM
zaphodm

p.62 #4 · p.62 #4 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Jonas B wrote:
Oh, you are welcome. I happened to remember the comparisons SharpContrast made as I found them interesting.

If you can get used to focus manually I strongly recommend the FE-mount version.

Most of the time I'm happy to manual focus (started on a K1000, so it's not foreign to me). Sometimes I just need to be able to point and shoot (kids/action/etc), and it's nice to be able to give the camera to someone else and have them just be able to click and get the shot. Manual lenses on the TAP seem to hit my sweet spot.

but with a Sony you'll get sharper and better looking images with the FE version of the lens.

Yep, 100%. It's just whether they are betterer *enough* to justify losing AF ability and an extra $400 (price difference specific to this date and market, it'll be different in different places). Or worserer enough to look elsewhere.

Jan 20, 2018 at 03:57 PM
imagesfromobjects

p.62 #5 · p.62 #5 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

zaphodm wrote:
Most of the time I'm happy to manual focus (started on a K1000, so it's not foreign to me). Sometimes I just need to be able to point and shoot (kids/action/etc), and it's nice to be able to give the camera to someone else and have them just be able to click and get the shot. Manual lenses on the TAP seem to hit my sweet spot.

Yep, 100%. It's just whether they are betterer *enough* to justify losing AF ability and an extra $400 (price difference specific to this date and market, it'll be different in different places). Or worserer
...Show more

I've used a couple lenses which are sharp wide open, specifically a Fuji XF35 f/1.4. This Voigtlander is easily as sharp - at least in the center, where it counts - if not sharper than the Fuji. It could take a minor hit by using the "un-optimized" M version and still be fantastic, which is why I'm curious. The dog shot above is wide open, for instance. I can't speak to charts, but for my usage, it could be just fine. YMMV of course.

Jan 20, 2018 at 09:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.62 #6 · p.62 #6 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Is it sharp near MFD at 100% viewing, not quite, but for making images this size it's sharp enough.

Some Morning Phone Time

ILCE-7RM3    Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical lens    40mm    f/1.2    1/50s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 21, 2018 at 03:28 AM
zaphodm

p.62 #7 · p.62 #7 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Pulled the trigger on the VM. Thanks for all the photos and info in this mammoth thread!

Jan 21, 2018 at 04:02 AM
tunisia

p.62 #8 · p.62 #8 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

jhinkey wrote:
Is it sharp near MFD at 100% viewing, not quite, but for making images this size it's sharp enough.

It's not that it's sharp enough, which it is, it's the incredibly beautiful rendering as in your gorgeous photo above.

Jan 21, 2018 at 07:52 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.62 #9 · p.62 #9 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

tunisia wrote:
It's not that it's sharp enough, which it is, it's the incredibly beautiful rendering as in your gorgeous photo above.

Thanks, it certainly helps that your subject has just 14 year old skin . . .

Jan 21, 2018 at 08:12 PM
imagesfromobjects

p.62 #10 · p.62 #10 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Finally a day off and it was warm enough to venture out for a post-nap walk!

Untitled by optic.nervous, on Flickr
Untitled by optic.nervous, on Flickr

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:09 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password