1       2       3              6      
       8              37       38       end

FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

DavidBM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
I used to own the Voigtlander 40/2 Ultron during my Canon days and that lens was also full of compromises being a pancake and all. It was much softer wide open compared to the 40/1.2 Nokton.
However, I remember thinking that 40mm was a great one-lens solution FL and got that feeling again when taking the CV 40/1.2 for a spin around town.

Huh! I had the 2/40 Ultron in *my* Canon days! I think of it as my "Chicago" lens, as I had it glued to my camera when I was visiting there for a couple of weeks back in 2010. I liked it; unsharp peripherally wide open but I kind of liked the look when that didn't matter, and such a nice FL for just wandering around.

Oct 16, 2017 at 09:59 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Another example of how, with a number of technical flaws, you can get some cool images with the CV that it would be hard to get by other means...(sorry more of my dog: I'm on writing retreat in the country with no-one around to photograph!)

What I find striking is the combination of detail and bokeh in the background. A longer lens would give you the same or more blur, but it would be pure colour wiht little sense of what's there.

Edited on Oct 17, 2017 at 12:53 AM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:47 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

DavidBM wrote:
Yep some of those fairground images of Fred's are one of the things that this lens does very distinctively: you get a sense of the environment from it being a fair bit wider than a 50-55 class lens, but you get the blur levels of a fairly fast 50. It's a great niche to fill.

Then the other issue is the size quality tradeoff. The lens would have to be bigger than Otus to be Otus grade at this speed. I don't want that. How much better would it be if the designers gave themselves, say, the form factor of
...Show more

Voigtlander knows it has something unique with the CV 40/1.2 and priced it accordingly. I agree with you that it has a special look being moderately wide while capable of high amount of blur and smooth rendering.
One can get a lens capable of similar or higher blur but it won't match the CV 40/1.2's IQ, wide focal length or size. On top of that you get full native electronics.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:47 AM
davewolfs
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Is anyone keeping their copy

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:53 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

davewolfs wrote:

Ask me in a few days!

Oct 17, 2017 at 01:02 AM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

davewolfs wrote:

I am, still loving my lens Besides, it's not commonly OK to return items in Japan unless they are defective in some way.

Oct 17, 2017 at 01:31 AM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

BastianK wrote:
There will be an M-mount version of the 40mm 1.2.
If the data I received is correct it will feature a 52mm filter thread (E-mount version has 58mm) and is to be released in November.

I think Leica-M might have still been the lead platform for this, which would explain the field curvature.
So I am tempted to see if that 5m PCX filter has the same effect on this one as it has on the 35mm 1.7...

I'm surprised that Cosina would have developed an M-version in parallel without announcing anything about it. Previously they always announced the lenses under development well in advance and with the 10mm and 12mm they announced from the beginning that they were going to bring these out for both E-mount and M-mount. So it would be a shift in this strategy if they now bring out an M-version already in November without any prior information.

Anyway, I think there would be demand in M-mount too and for me it wouldn't change anything as I would have opted for the E-mount version regardless. It might be a new strategy based on their learnings from the previous launches...

Oct 17, 2017 at 01:43 AM
teh_rebel
• • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

pretty impressed with wide open sharpness. definitely sharper than CV 35/1.2 wide open that I recall as well as CV 40/1.4

couldve cropped the guys arm out but wanted to upload uncrop photo to get the full view

ILCE-7RM2    40mm    f/1.2    1/1000s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:01 AM
patotts
• • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
I really enjoyed shooting with the CV 40/1.2 today. It's a perfect walk-around lens mainly for its size and overall rendering.

The PF scares me a bit, and no one likes onion rings, but there is lots to like here with special f/1.2 character, good punch, and small/light package.

Edited on Oct 17, 2017 at 11:46 AM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:06 AM
kaioyang
• •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

davewolfs wrote:

Yes I'm keeping mine. It's a very nice versatile and light lens. Currently I'm traveling and this lens is perfect for walkabouts.

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

davewolfs wrote:

At first I had mixed feelings about it but after a couple days of tests, I decided keeping it. I see a lot of pop and 3d with the CV 40/1.2. It's a dangerous lens and it will win you over...stay away from it!

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:42 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Here is where Iím at??

Canít decide but I would have to give up my CV 35mm +PCX 5000 plus adapter for near the cost of this and even than not sure I want to give up my 35 1.7

I know one fact for sure the resale value on this will suck. Hate to say that but itís overpriced to me considering the 65 APO is 60 dollars less. I donít care what they put in it I go by IQ but yet Iíd like to have it bitching all the way to B&H checkout counter.
Iíll be in NY tomorrow too. I got my wife to protect me. Lol

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:53 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

GMPhotography wrote:
Here is where Iím at??

Canít decide but I would have to give up my CV 35mm +PCX 5000 plus adapter for near the cost of this and even than not sure I want to give up my 35 1.7

I know one fact for sure the resale value on this will suck. Hate to say that but itís overpriced to me considering the 65 APO is 60 dollars less. I donít care what they put in it I go by IQ but yet Iíd like to have it bitching all the way to B&H checkout counter.
Iíll be in NY tomorrow too.
...Show more

I don't know if it's overpriced.

Basically the same price as the 65 APO
You choice of optical perfection and slow (for a prime) or optical compromise and basically the fastest speed that production lenses get (barring Noctilux and Mitakon). And optically it's a lot nicer that Mitakon, especially in contrast.

Sure you can have optical perfection AND speed if you buy an Otus. Then you get Apo-Lanthar quality (or marginally more) with speed, but it's slightly less speed, and it's quadruple the price! (to be fair the ZA is not too far off for much less)

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:12 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Itís 60 dollars more than a CV 65 APO thatís basically perfect optically. If your going by that standard Iím sorry but Iím scratching my head over the price. This has a look and it ends there. Itís also got lots of issues. Letís just be real honest about it. I want it donít get me wrong but if you take a very neutral stance on it which is really easy for me. Iím buying one thing thatís a look because everywhere else the CV 35 1.7 + PCX smokes it optically. This is a character lens pure and simple and honestly when I hear itís good at F2 than a red flag goes off. This is a 1.2 lens I should be able to shoot it at 1.2

Someone has to be the jerk here. Iím glad to be that guy because Iím brutal on this stuff but again I want one. Same argument on the Batis 135 I ponied up to the bar dropped my 2 grand bitched about it and moved on.Thatís life I get it. But the problems here have been seriously downplayed. That CA is freaking horrific, there is no one on the planet that can tell me any different. Lol

Please donít say it can be fixed, thatís a cop out answer. Letís just say it sucks but somewhat expected given the lens design. But I can give a honest opinion because thatís what I do and still buy the thing. Iím not saying not buy it but what I am saying is your buying a look otherwise buy something else. The fruity smelling perfume talk does not work for me folks. Iím brutally honest to a fault but thatís me.

Edited on Oct 17, 2017 at 03:36 AM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:29 AM
davewolfs
• • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Most shots in this thread are at f/1.2.

GMPhotography wrote:
Itís 60 dollars more than a CV 65 APO thatís basically perfect optically. If your going by that standard Iím sorry but Iím scratching my head over the price. This has a look and it ends there. Itís also got lots of issues. Letís just be real honest about it. I want it donít get me wrong but if you take a very neutral stance on it which is really easy for me. Iím buying one thing thatís a look because everywhere else the CV 35 1.7 + PCX smokes it optically. This is a character lens pure and simple
...Show more

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:32 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I couple more sample images:

(Both handheld)

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:34 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

GMPhotography wrote:
Itís 60 dollars more than a CV 65 APO thatís basically perfect optically. If your going by that standard Iím sorry but Iím scratching my head over the price. This has a look and it ends there. Itís also got lots of issues. Letís just be real honest about it. I want it donít get me wrong but if you take a very neutral stance on it which is really easy for me. Iím buying one thing thatís a look because everywhere else the CV 35 1.7 + PCX smokes it optically. This is a character lens pure and simple
...Show more

Sure if you don't what it brings to the table, then you don't want it, and that's the end of that discussion. It's not value for money for you.

But I guess I was thinking of the more general question. F 1.2 lenses have always cost more than slower lenses which are (holding fixed age and ambition) always better. And this is better at f1.2 than any other f1.2 I know. Usable for some very interesting images. That doesn't make it great at f1.2; that lens has yet to be built and will cost a bomb if and when it is. So I don't think the price is wrong; but of course no-one should buy it for whom it's particular set of compromises is a bad fit.

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:35 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

davewolfs wrote:
Most shots in this thread are at f/1.2.

Most shots are not where all the issues are either.

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:37 AM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I think the price is essentially the same as CV 35/1.2 II which comes without a hood in the box, so in that sense it's not overpriced. Usually the E-mount glass has been more expensive than the corresponding M-mount glass from CV, they have the electronic contacts etc.

MRSP for 40/1.2 and 35/1.2 II is exactly same in Japan (135K JPY) but 35/1.2 is old by now and discounted just a bit more.

I do think APO 65/2 is possibly underpriced in comparison to other CV E-mount glass.

Edited on Oct 17, 2017 at 03:45 AM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:40 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

DavidBM wrote:
Sure if you don't what it brings to the table, then you don't want it, and that's the end of that discussion. It's not value for money for you.

But I guess I was thinking of the more general question. F 1.2 lenses have always cost more than slower lenses which are (holding fixed age and ambition) always better. And this is better at f1.2 than any other f1.2 I know. Usable for some very interesting images. That doesn't make it great at f1.2; that lens has yet to be built and will cost a bomb if and when it is.
...Show more

No I like what it is bringing to the table but some things I like to see fall off the table. Yes I know itís a 1.2 lens and that brings a very small benefit over a 1.4 .

Anyway Iíll step away from this as I just donít really want to get into it too much. Have fun

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:43 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password