1       2       3              51      
       53              288       289       end

Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

linnil

Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #1 · p.52 #1 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

GMPhotography wrote:
From memory YES, someone please confirm

You are right sir. TAP tells camera these. And one needs to keep camera aperture at 2.0 for exposure to be calculated correctly. You can use whatever aperture on the lens.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:09 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.52 #2 · p.52 #2 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

GMPhotography wrote:
From memory YES, someone please confirm

---------------------------------------------

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's weird how they did this. Yes, for your image to be properly exposed, the 'camera' should be set to aperture "f/2" and that will show in the EXIF regardless of your 'lens' aperture.

---------------------------------------------

Weird but OK. Thank you guys.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:10 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.52 #3 · p.52 #3 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

May be someone can contact the TAP makers to program the Cosina 40/1.2 info for this lens, instead of a generic chip?

Jonas B wrote:
SharpContrast wrote:
I see quite some fringe at the expected places. My question is why the EXIF says f/2.0 for every image, and a SAM DT lens. This is off topic but shouldn't the camera shift down to APS-C mode if you trick it to believe you are uding a DT lens? Or maybe it has done that? I'm a bit puzzled.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM
linnil

p.52 #4 · p.52 #4 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

link: https://flic.kr/p/22nfgda

VM 1.2 indoors and poor lighting condition. Dog keeps moving also. JPG right out of the camera.

Dec 10, 2017 at 02:03 PM
linnil

p.52 #5 · p.52 #5 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Link: https://flic.kr/p/211XHPT

original size around the eye. Wide open with VM F/1.2

it looks less sharper after screen capture... Weird.

Dec 10, 2017 at 02:11 PM
SharpContrast
• •
p.52 #6 · p.52 #6 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Out of camera JPG using VM Version with close focus adapter,(and yes I know he needs to wipe his nose!)

40mm m - mount at f1.2 by David Andrews, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/212efXV

Edited on Dec 12, 2017 at 06:57 AM · View previous versions

Dec 12, 2017 at 05:29 AM
SharpContrast
• •
p.52 #7 · p.52 #7 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

The River Avon this Morning and The Voigtlander 40mm 1.2 Nokton VM

Voigtlander 40mm 1.2 VM by David Andrews, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/21kpHi1

Frosty Morning by the Avon by David Andrews, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/215cVRc

Dec 12, 2017 at 06:37 AM
ccp900

p.52 #8 · p.52 #8 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Fred, how the heck do you manually focus that!!!! f1.2 and moving subject. I know the movement is predictable being a merry go round. or are you actually on the ride yourself?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here is one more sample at f/1.2. This aperture seems to be glued on my lens.
Honestly I'm happy with the resolution wide open (even off-axis). It's similar to what I was getting with the FE 35/1.4 ZA wide open. Rendering and colors are just gorgeous to me. This was taken under the worse lighting possible!

Dec 12, 2017 at 07:39 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #9 · p.52 #9 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Below is cross post from VM40 M thread here.

I received lens yesterday, I did a few snaps around yesterday night, and I test it at infinity to check up decentering this morning. Haven't check the result yet. I will post finding later. (Maybe in that long thread to keep all information related with this lens in one single thread.)

For M, It will bring up 50mm frame line, this will be a little concern to be honest, I have to keep frame myself out side of frame line every time. For critical composition, this will be an issue actually. I use Leica EVF on my MP240 this afternoon shooting around between work. Rangefinder Focusing is very accurate and easy. My keeper rate is high, about the same as 50lux ASPH. For good in spec rangefinder camera and lens, I found focus is extreme easy, fast and reliable.

Focusing is a little on smooth side for my taste, but not to the concern level. Infinity is a hair less than hard stop at f1.2, but at f2~2.8, the sharpest focus is at hard stop. (I think I read Fred had similar finding in his E version). For 50lux ASPH, at f1.4, hard stop give best sharpness, but at f2.8, slightly pull back a hair giving best resolution, exact opposite of this Noctron. I'd say they both have very minor focus shift. (did I say very minor)

I feel the lens has the exact aperture blade as E version, I am a little disappointed to find that is the case. I thought it has rounded aperture ring mentioned somewhere. So yeh, it will give sunstar at f2.8. I like sunstar but don't like over use it now, or make itself as subject of interesting or dominate in the image with long spike. So I use EVF to carefully play hide and seek to avoid it to be too strong. EVF is very handy in this case for composition and check sunstar or flare, but I still focus use RF and way prefer it over EVF under harsh back light condition especially at shooting aperture. This reminded me why I think Leica M is the best MILC offer both good on EVF and OVF. Unfortunately, blank out and delay are feel very old fashioned compare to latest Sony.

To be continued.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:35 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.52 #10 · p.52 #10 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Here are the test results at infinity of this lens. I’d say it is very impressive. Resolution is good even at WO but not contrast, there is SA can be seen at WO till f2, especially corner. At f2.8, the lens is almost reach its peak and sharp everywhere. I’d say from f2.8 to f5.6 are about the same in term of sharpness. Also f2.8~f5.6 are peak of its performance at infinity.

This test is hand hold results, I focus use EVF at X10, after f2.8, I no longer refocus but just shoot. I’d ignore f11 result at 1/90s, but I am good at hand hold though

f1.2~f2 are all over exposed given MP240 native ISO200 and 1/4000 shutter speed. but for sharpness evaluation, I feel it was OK.

Full image
untitled by ZHNL, on Flickr

Followed by center, midframe, corner

f1.2
untitled-12 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-11 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-2 by ZHNL, on Flickr

f1.4
untitled-21 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-13 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-3 by ZHNL, on Flickr

f1.7
untitled-22 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-14 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-4 by ZHNL, on Flickr

f2
untitled-23 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-15 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-5 by ZHNL, on Flickr

f2.8
untitled-24 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-16 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-6 by ZHNL, on Flickr

f4
untitled-25 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-17 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-7 by ZHNL, on Flickr

f5.6
untitled-26 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-18 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-8 by ZHNL, on Flickr

f8
untitled-27 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-19 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-9 by ZHNL, on Flickr

f11
untitled-28 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-20 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-10 by ZHNL, on Flickr

Edited on Dec 13, 2017 at 12:43 AM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • • •
p.52 #11 · p.52 #11 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Images shown here from my 5K monitor (Chrome browser) are pixelated somehow. They looks like 400% view in LR. I don't have other computer around.

In Lightroom, they are way sharper.

Do you see they are sharp?

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:41 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.52 #12 · p.52 #12 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

zhangyue wrote:
Images shown here from my 5K monitor (Chrome browser) are pixelated somehow. They looks like 400% view in LR. I don't have other computer around.

looks awesome to me. my stupid retina screen makes nearly all web images look pixelated by showing them at 150% (or whatever the emulating scaling factor is set for) instead of 100%.

Dec 13, 2017 at 01:10 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.52 #13 · p.52 #13 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

zhangyue wrote:

I would judge your samples as sharp indeed. A better result than the E-mount on Sony cameras. In the f/2 image we can see that the coma probably is about the same as the E-mount. This is great stuff. I got a little dizzy by scrolling up and down but then understood they were taken handheld... So far so good!

Dec 13, 2017 at 01:59 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.52 #14 · p.52 #14 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Thanks, Derek and Jonas. Yeh, Id say you have to be a very serious pixel PP person to not satisfy this results. (only few lens I have seen perform slightly better here, but only for experienced viewer know how to look for it) On the other hand, I think most of 50mm lens stop down to f8 give decent results similar to this, just can't reach that at f2.8. This is sharper than 50lux ASPH cross frame I'd say at wide aperture. (only talk about cross frame performance, not talking about microcontrast without sharpening the file look. that require time to review)

Here are a few home snaps that more important for me

Thought? It is a character lens for sure. The bokeh has strong signature and it shows at different distance behave very differently. I like it a lot for cases as above but I will hold my judgement for now.

Since the lens perform flawless, I can't and will not return it. Thanks for all the guys contributed in this thread give me a good expectation before I get it. Now I will do the same as return.

Dec 13, 2017 at 02:18 PM
Parariss
• • •
p.52 #15 · p.52 #15 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

I caved -- I'm testing a copy.

How much asymmetry of vignetting is within spec?

Compared to the center, at f1.2 I see corners of -0.8EV, -0.5EV, and two corners -1.7EV.

At f4 I get +0.0, +0.25, and the same two corners at -1EV.

I haven't had time to complete a clean run of test images, but I haven't noticed large differences in image quality between the corners. (Though it's a bit hard to discriminate between levels of mush at wide apertures.)

Thx

Dec 13, 2017 at 03:18 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.52 #16 · p.52 #16 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Very nice. Not that I need one.

Dec 13, 2017 at 03:20 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.52 #17 · p.52 #17 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

zhangyue wrote:
Thought? It is a character lens for sure. The bokeh has strong signature and it shows at different distance behave very differently. I like it a lot for cases as above but I will hold my judgement for now.

i'm digging the character in these. i'm less sure about slightly longer subject distances.

Dec 13, 2017 at 05:09 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.52 #18 · p.52 #18 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

sebboh wrote:
i'm digging the character in these. i'm less sure about slightly longer subject distances.

Yeh, at portrait distance, the lens has very nice Bokeh I'd say, it is not smooth or gaussian bokeh like 50lux, actually quite strong color and contrast. It shows different kind of rich paint like bokeh but never ugly in that distance IMO. However, shooting at mid distance,(more than 4M?) around corner and edge, rendering start getting distract and cheaper. To be fair, a challenge case for most fast glass.

I can only imagine what people will say or how much it will ask if it is a brand new Leica design. by inspect lens front element, I almost feel its case can be even smaller, compare to 35mm f1.2 VC, I'd say this is a very nicely designed M glass over past few years given its size and performance on M.

Two challenging shooting case. The lens keep contrast extreme well under strong back light condition, very modern look.

Dec 13, 2017 at 07:53 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.52 #19 · p.52 #19 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

zhangyue wrote:
Here are the test results at infinity of this lens. I’d say it is very impressive. Resolution is good even at WO but not contrast, there is SA can be seen at WO till f2, especially corner. At f2.8, the lens is almost reach its peak and sharp everywhere. I’d say from f2.8 to f5.6 are about the same in term of sharpness. Also f2.8~f5.6 are peak of its performance at infinity.

This test is hand hold results, I focus use EVF at X10, after f2.8, I no longer refocus but just shoot. I’d ignore f11 result at 1/90s,
...Show more

Thanks for posting these images. My copy of the 40/1.2 cannot achieve that level of sharpness at f/5.6 - your images look similar to Fred's - i.e., sharp. My borders and corners are soft wide open (as expected), but don't improve much going to f/5.6 - a real deal breaker for me.

Mine is being exchanged for another copy.

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.52 #20 · p.52 #20 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Here's my test shots at f/5.6. Focused at mid-frame, but I get the same results if I focus in the center - center great, mid-field dip, and mushy corners that even at f/8 don't clean up.

Full Image - Downtown Seattle

Center

Mid-Frame

Lower Left Corner

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:01 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.