1       2       3              34      
       36              52       53       end

FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.35 #1 · p.35 #1 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

DavidBM wrote:
Whether itís worth the hassle is entirely personal. And we donít even know yet exactly what performance gains there are ( my tests so far are only on centre).

But if you want a 40mm perepctive for some image, and you want to focus around a metre or closer, and you want to use a wide aperture, then it seems youíll get very visible (not merely measurable) boosts in contrast and sharpness at least centrally.

Certainly if you have a normal macro with you, and you want a 50-60 perspective, thatís a better choice at these distances. But you wonít always have
...Show more

I agree. The lens performs best at infinity and the right diopter strength may allow some of that high performance to be achieved at closer distances. If that's worth or not, it's entirely subjective and subject dependent.

I can already tell the improvement is not that big when testing my Elpro 3 (+1.66) and Nikon No.0 close-up lenses (+0.7) but there is definitely an improvement. I'm not sure it's worth investing on this.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:48 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.35 #2 · p.35 #2 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Iím just a little tired of spending money on these front filter stuff. And itís more about me just being lazy here. Nothing more but Iíll wait until a difinitive solution comes about. Your turn to be the guinea pig. Iím passing the buck here. Lol

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:02 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.35 #3 · p.35 #3 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
I agree. The lens performs best at infinity and the right diopter strength may allow some of that high performance to be achieved at closer distances. If that's worth or not, it's entirely subjective.

Let's not shoot this down without knowing the benefits first. I can already tell the improvement is not that big when testing my Elpro 3 (+1.66) and Nikon No.0 close-up lenses (+0.7) but there is definitely an improvement.

Some not 100% relevant results about the benefits:

I happen to have the right step up rings for the Loxia, so I tried an achromatic +2 on the Loxia 35, which is fairly weak at wide apertures and close up.

Focus at .67 metres.

Useful improvement at the centre, but considerably worse in the midfield (and that's refocussing for the midfield to deal with any field curvature)

Of course the Loxia is not much good at wide open and infinity either except dead centre, so we shouldn't have expected much.

So I'm looking forward to hearing from Fred or testing the midfield on the cv..

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:06 PM
Makten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.35 #4 · p.35 #4 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Luvwine wrote:
As I think about this, for the vast majority of my shots, a diopter would not be worth the hassle. If shooting at minimum focusing distance, I would just change lenses to say the CV 65/2. Perhaps I am missing something to be gained here, so happy to learn why the hassle of adding a diopter has advantages. I get that it is smaller and lighter than carrying a second lens, but how often is this going to be that useful?

Since I accidentally started this whole thing, I must say I wouldn't bother at all. I just happened to have the Nikon No.5 T laying around and tried it. But since I already have it and it doesn't take up any space, I'll probably bring it with me.
Most of the time I only use one lens when I'm photographing, so there is no "backup" lens in the bag. And then this thing makes some sense.

I've actually shot some flowers and stuff near MFD that I've then disregarded since they were far too unsharp. The diopter lens would definitely make a difference on those occasions.

But, I also like the glowiness and SA near MFD. Whether or not added sharpness is a good thing, depends on the subject.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:18 PM
sebbe
• •
p.35 #5 · p.35 #5 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

And now just some handheld fun through Venezia.

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical lens    40mm    f/6.3    1/15s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical lens    40mm    f/2.8    1/25s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical lens    40mm    f/6.3    1/1600s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical lens    40mm    f/6.3    1/60s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Nov 14, 2017 at 07:09 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.35 #6 · p.35 #6 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Gorgeous set!
I've been to that restaurant (Caffe Saraceno) on the bottom right (first image). I can't wait to visit Venezia again!
Fred

Nov 14, 2017 at 07:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.35 #7 · p.35 #7 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Makten wrote:
Since I accidentally started this whole thing, I must say I wouldn't bother at all. I just happened to have the Nikon No.5 T laying around and tried it. But since I already have it and it doesn't take up any space, I'll probably bring it with me.
Most of the time I only use one lens when I'm photographing, so there is no "backup" lens in the bag. And then this thing makes some sense.

I've actually shot some flowers and stuff near MFD that I've then disregarded since they were far too unsharp. The diopter lens would
...Show more

Don't backpedal now. ...accident or not, this discovery is quite useful.

Nov 14, 2017 at 07:43 PM
sebbe
• •
p.35 #8 · p.35 #8 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
Gorgeous set!
I've been to that restaurant on the bottom right (first image). I can't wait to visit Venezia again!
Fred

Haha, I'm quite sure the restaurant is a tourist trap! But if I'm honest whole Venice is a tourist trap.
Venezia is such a wonderful place!

Nov 14, 2017 at 07:46 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.35 #9 · p.35 #9 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

It is your fault, sebbe! You make it look so good with your lovely pics that tourists flock in unmanageable numbers! You ought to feel guilty taking and showing such fine pics!

Nov 14, 2017 at 07:53 PM
davewolfs
• • •
p.35 #10 · p.35 #10 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Any owners of this lens ex owners of the Zeiss 35mm f/2? If so any preferences?

Nov 15, 2017 at 03:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Makten
• • • •
p.35 #11 · p.35 #11 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

davewolfs wrote:

You mean the Loxia? I still own it and I like it better regarding colors and shots with lesser bokeh (~f/3.5). It has got a nicer transition zone but less nice bokeh (unless you stop down a bit where it gets better than the Nokton).

If you shoot mostly wide open, get the Nokton. If you shoot mostly stopped down, get the Loxia. The Nokton is a bit more versatile though, but both has quirks.
Edit: With "stopped down" I don't mean landscapes, but rather environmental semi-close stuff where DOF doesn't extend through the whole scene.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:13 AM
davewolfs
• • •
p.35 #12 · p.35 #12 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

No the Distagon or classic ZE/ZF/ZF.2. The one which has the same formula as the current Milvus. Sorry for not making that clear and thanks for feedback regarding Loxia.

Makten wrote:
You mean the Loxia? I still own it and I like it better regarding colors and shots with lesser bokeh (~f/3.5). It has got a nicer transition zone but less nice bokeh (unless you stop down a bit where it gets better than the Nokton).

If you shoot mostly wide open, get the Nokton. If you shoot mostly stopped down, get the Loxia. The Nokton is a bit more versatile though, but both has quirks.
Edit: With "stopped down" I don't mean landscapes, but rather environmental semi-close stuff where DOF doesn't extend through the whole scene.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:18 PM
sebbe
• •
p.35 #13 · p.35 #13 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Ponte dei Sospiri - Bridge of Sighs

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical lens    40mm    f/1.2    1/6s    640 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:16 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.35 #14 · p.35 #14 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I like the Loxia better from f5.6. I like the Nokton better wider than f4. At f2 the Nokton is massively better unlesd you like soap bubble bokeh and SA. For landscape i prefer the fl of the Lox as well as stopped down quality....

But while i like the Loxia, the Nokton is close to the Lox stopped down, while the Lox is not close to the Nokton at f2 or 2.8...

davewolfs wrote:

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:57 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.35 #15 · p.35 #15 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

davewolfs wrote:
No the Distagon or classic ZE/ZF/ZF.2. The one which has the same formula as the current Milvus. Sorry for not making that clear and thanks for feedback regarding Loxia.

I've had that one too (or rather two of them). It was long ago, but that lens is a different animal. I've actually thought of getting it again, because it gave the most "3D" images I've ever been able to produce.
If you can live with the size (it's very long with the adapter required), heavy vignetting, lateral CA and quite a bit of barrel distortion, it's a phenomenal lens. Especially from MFD to ~1.5 meters or so. At larger distance, resolution gets lower while acutance goes from "good" to "extreme". The bokeh is similar to the Makro-Planar 50/2; "perfect" at near distance and a bit nervous further away. The transition zone is probably the best I've seen in any lens, ever.

If you don't need faster than f/2 and you love the "in your face" look, I'd say the Distagon 35/2 is a better lens than the Nokton.

The only images from the Distagon I've got online are old and small, but here are some...

I realize that most of these won't tell you anything about the lens. But... Even at this very small format, check out the bokeh here:

The background just "melts" away and the far away bokeh has low contrast. Something I've never seen in very fast lenses.

Edited on Nov 15, 2017 at 11:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:11 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.35 #16 · p.35 #16 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Makten wrote:
I've had that one too (or rather two of them). It was long ago, but that lens is a different animal. I've actually thought of getting it again, because it gave the most "3D" images I've ever been able to produce.
If you can live with the size (it's very long with the adapter required), heavy vignetting, lateral CA and quite a bit of barrel distortion, it's a phenomenal lens. Especially from MFD to ~1.5 meters or so. At larger distance, resolution gets lower while acutance goes from "good" to "extreme". The bokeh is similar to the Makro-Planar 50/2;
...Show more

hey Makten, have you ever tried the contax g 45/2? it seems like it might fit your style quite well.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:49 PM
davewolfs
• • •
p.35 #17 · p.35 #17 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

These are really nice. Would love for Zeiss to give us a similar Batis. This lens was known for its 3D and was superior to the 1.4 (no longer the case with Milvus but that lens is huge).

Was it unwieldy on the A7?

Makten wrote:
If you can live with the size (it's very long with the adapter required), heavy vignetting, lateral CA and quite a bit of barrel distortion, it's a phenomenal lens. Especially from MFD to ~1.5 meters or so. At larger distance, resolution gets lower while acutance goes from "good" to "extreme". The bokeh is similar to the Makro-Planar 50/2;
...Show more

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:03 AM
jeffersoncasey

p.35 #18 · p.35 #18 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Hi to all! I'm new to this site and thanks to this thread, I got my copy of CV 40mm Nokton. Basically everything worked as expected, the good and the bad. Coming from RX1R that was stolen few months ago, this lens bring back a lot of memories, and more because it goes all the way to f1.2 that is actually sharp!

However, one concern that I have about the de-click ring. I never own any CV lens before, when I push the ring down I heard what I consider normal loud click sound, at the same time some kind of spring-stretching sound as if the spring inside was grinding. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance, I'll be on a trip soon and hope to share some pictures!

Nov 16, 2017 at 01:29 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.35 #19 · p.35 #19 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

jeffersoncasey wrote:
Hi to all! I'm new to this site and thanks to this thread, I got my copy of CV 40mm Nokton. Basically everything worked as expected, the good and the bad. Coming from RX1R that was stolen few months ago, this lens bring back a lot of memories, and more because it goes all the way to f1.2 that is actually sharp!

However, one concern that I have about the de-click ring. I never own any CV lens before, when I push the ring down I heard what I consider normal loud click sound, at the same time some kind of
...Show more

Welcome to FM!
I hear the same thing with the two copies of the CV 40/1.2 I've tried. It's interesting that the de-clicking function works different between Voigtlander models.

With the CV 10, CV 12 and CV 15, de-clicking is engaged by pulling the ring up. With the CV 40/1.2, it's by pushing down...Kinda confusing.

Nov 16, 2017 at 02:35 AM
realVivek
• •
p.35 #20 · p.35 #20 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Makten wrote:
The background just "melts" away and the far away bokeh has low contrast. Something I've never seen in very fast lenses.

What an odd statement!

Nov 16, 2017 at 02:44 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password