Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              30      
31
       32              37       38       end
  

FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton
  
 
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #1 · p.31 #1 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


sebboh wrote:
oh, are the e-mounts outselling the m-mounts for the most part?



So I'm told. Both in comparative figures between them when both are available, and in terms of number of new sales for a new model compared with the historical norm. At least for Japan and Australian. Or so says my relatively well placed source..



Nov 09, 2017 at 11:02 PM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #2 · p.31 #2 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


Iíve given up on the TAP myself. Sticking with my 40 1.2 E Mount. All my lenses have EXIF except the Laowa 15 which I will not part with. Have a golden copy


Nov 09, 2017 at 11:09 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #3 · p.31 #3 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


rji2goleez wrote:
BTW - A little self promotion but I currently have one for sale in the B&S, like new condition!


You think I haven't noticed?



Nov 09, 2017 at 11:37 PM
kaioyang
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #4 · p.31 #4 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


Currently in Paris and very kind of Phillip to meet up at short notice. A couple of shots taken with the CV 40 tonight along the Seine (all are minimally processed in ACR and cropped accordingly).

Broken - CV40 @ F/2.0, 0.5s, ISO 100 on tripod.
_DSC4397 copy by Kai O'Yang, on Flickr

Love locks - CV40 @ F/2.0 0.05s, ISO 1250 handheld.
_DSC4408 copy by Kai O'Yang, on Flickr

CV40 @ F/1.2, 0.1s, ISO640 handheld.
_DSC4380 copy by Kai O'Yang, on Flickr






Nov 09, 2017 at 11:58 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #5 · p.31 #5 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


DavidBM wrote:
I'm guessing the M mount version will either perform about the same on Leica (if it is differently optimised) or worse (if it is optically the same). I think the 1.7/35 is likely the last primarily M optimised fast lens we will see from CV judging from what I've heard about relative sales....

sebboh wrote:
oh, are the e-mounts outselling the m-mounts for the most part?


I'd be surprised if it's even close. Who buys Leica anyway?

Based on the first two photos in the post above, I'd really liked to have seen curved aperture blades at the cost of less-nice starbursts...



Nov 10, 2017 at 03:34 AM
zaphodm
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #6 · p.31 #6 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


rscheffler wrote:
Based on the first two photos in the post above, I'd really liked to have seen curved aperture blades at the cost of less-nice starbursts...


It matches the bike wheel though.



Nov 10, 2017 at 05:17 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #7 · p.31 #7 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


rscheffler wrote:
I'd be surprised if it's even close. Who buys Leica anyway?

Based on the first two photos in the post above, I'd really liked to have seen curved aperture blades at the cost of less-nice starbursts...


+1, i find both straight edged bokeh balls and starbursts to be quite annoying.

with regard to m-mount vs e-mount lenses, i would expect relatively few leica owners to be super interested in putting a $700 lens on their $6k camera (sometimes that's all you got left though...). the previously released e-mount voigtlanders aren't great for m-mount either Ė all ultrawides that are kinda a pain to shoot on a rangefinder.



Nov 10, 2017 at 05:26 AM
philber
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #8 · p.31 #8 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


kaioyang wrote:
Currently in Paris and very kind of Phillip to meet up at short notice. A couple of shots taken with the CV 40 tonight along the Seine (all are minimally processed in ACR and cropped accordingly).




Hey Kai. It was cool to meet you and shoot together. People, I must say that he is one gentleman of the highest moral character! Not only did he let me try his 2 new CV lenses (40mm and 65mm), on his tripod while he politely waited for me to hand it back, but he resisted trying out my Otus, for fear of a GAS attack!!! The man has principles! Oh, and he is a seriously good 'tog and fine company too!



Nov 10, 2017 at 06:35 AM
kaioyang
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #9 · p.31 #9 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


philber wrote:
Hey Kai. It was cool to meet you and shoot together. People, I must say that he is one gentleman of the highest moral character! Not only did he let me try his 2 new CV lenses (40mm and 65mm), on his tripod while he politely waited for me to hand it back, but he resisted trying out my Otus, for fear of a GAS attack!!! The man has principles! Oh, and he is a seriously good 'tog and fine company too!


Many Thx Phillip for meeting up on so short notice and thanks for your kind words!. Good discussions and photo walk and hope you will make a call on the lenses soon. For compactness, weight and good IQ this CV40 can't be beaten. It's just a compromise of weight and IQ against the Zeiss.



Nov 10, 2017 at 07:30 AM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #10 · p.31 #10 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


GMPhotography wrote:
Iíve given up on the TAP myself. Sticking with my 40 1.2 E Mount. All my lenses have EXIF except the Laowa 15 which I will not part with. Have a golden copy


Why'd you give on the TAP Guy? What application/situation were you using it in?



Nov 10, 2017 at 03:03 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #11 · p.31 #11 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


Just to big a rig and never felt very accurate enough. Plus Iím back to Exif


Nov 10, 2017 at 03:12 PM
Rob L
Online

Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #12 · p.31 #12 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


I've always been amazed that with all of the people checking their lenses for perfect centering and all of the complaints about de-centered lenses, that issues never comes up with these adapters. I can't believe that a $300 Chinese adapter is able to keep proper alignment.


Nov 10, 2017 at 03:16 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #13 · p.31 #13 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


Rob L wrote:
I've always been amazed that with all of the people checking their lenses for perfect centering and all of the complaints about de-centered lenses, that issues never comes up with these adapters. I can't believe that a $300 Chinese adapter is able to keep proper alignment.


They can't be perfect but there is also the issue of "sensor to camera mount".
Mount parallelism can be a problem as any tilt is noticeable in our images. With lenses, the more elements and complexity, the higher the odds of a tilt, decentering or spacing issues. With an adapter, I would think the odds are smaller but it really depends on how tight tolerance is.



Nov 10, 2017 at 04:07 PM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #14 · p.31 #14 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


Rob L wrote:
I've always been amazed that with all of the people checking their lenses for perfect centering and all of the complaints about de-centered lenses, that issues never comes up with these adapters. I can't believe that a $300 Chinese adapter is able to keep proper alignment.


For a dumb adapter (that's just a spacer), the required parallelism isn't a hard thing to accomplish.
I have an expensive Metabones adapter that has much worse parallelism (0.002" variation) than a $25 Fotasy that was parallel to within ~0.0002" across the mounting surfaces.

For an adapter like the TAP that needs to axially move the lens mount maintaining parallelism is very difficult and I would not expect perfection or use it to assess lens decentering characteristics.

Heck, my original A7R had the lens mounting flange off-parallel with the sensor as just about every fast lens I have showed a left-to-right slight variation in sharpness.


Edited on Nov 11, 2017 at 03:35 AM · View previous versions



Nov 10, 2017 at 04:35 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #15 · p.31 #15 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


sebboh wrote:
with regard to m-mount vs e-mount lenses, i would expect relatively few leica owners to be super interested in putting a $700 lens on their $6k camera (sometimes that's all you got left though...). the previously released e-mount voigtlanders aren't great for m-mount either Ė all ultrawides that are kinda a pain to shoot on a rangefinder.


I guess it depends on the type of Leica owner (user vs. poseur vs collector)... I value the Voigtlander and Zeiss M-mount options and have owned and used quite a few. The 35/1.7 is my go-to 35mm. I value the 40/1.4 for its rendering character (wilder than the 40/1.2) and the UWAs are excellent value (and much easier to use on EVF-capable digital Ms). But yes, compared to Sony FE, Leica will remain a minuscule, niche market. Fortunately it seems it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt Sony designs to Leica and I hope to eventually find out how the 40/1.2 performs on Leica.

Cosina seems to be a bit of a quirky company in respect to willingness to offer niche lenses. Therefore I wouldn't rule out future Leica-specific lens releases. But it does make a lot of sense for them to concentrate efforts on Sony FE offerings, given it's the current hot system.



Nov 10, 2017 at 06:04 PM
Rob L
Online

Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #16 · p.31 #16 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


Yes, I was referring to the TAP and the new similar unit that has come on the scene. While I don't have one of these, I can imagine a bit of play must be common. I remember many of the older design auto-focus lenses like the canon 50 1.4 and the nifty 50 where the lens head can be literally jiggled around within the focus mount.


Nov 10, 2017 at 06:04 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #17 · p.31 #17 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


rscheffler wrote:
I guess it depends on the type of Leica owner (user vs. poseur vs collector)... I value the Voigtlander and Zeiss M-mount options and have owned and used quite a few. The 35/1.7 is my go-to 35mm. I value the 40/1.4 for its rendering character (wilder than the 40/1.2) and the UWAs are excellent value (and much easier to use on EVF-capable digital Ms). But yes, compared to Sony FE, Leica will remain a minuscule, niche market. Fortunately it seems it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt Sony designs to Leica and I hope to eventually find out how the
...Show more

you are not the typical leica user though, most seem to only have 1 or 2 lenses from the stats i've seen. cv has lots of great m-mount lenses and the cv 35/1.7 and 50/1.5 are great candidates to be the 1 or 2 lenses a typical leica shooter has, but most choose zeiss or leica lenses instead. personally i actually think the cv options are better than the zeiss ones for use on a leica.




Nov 10, 2017 at 07:48 PM
Gary Clennan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #18 · p.31 #18 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


sebboh wrote:
you are not the typical leica user though, most seem to only have 1 or 2 lenses from the stats i've seen. cv has lots of great m-mount lenses and the cv 35/1.7 and 50/1.5 are great candidates to be the 1 or 2 lenses a typical leica shooter has, but most choose zeiss or leica lenses instead. personally i actually think the cv options are better than the zeiss ones for use on a leica.



You are saying that most Leica users only have 1-2 lenses? No idea where you saw that but it is likely BS. My "guess" (perhaps wrong) is around 5-6 lenses on average. I have my three main lenses (28/35/50) and then some other niche type lenses to supplement. I like the CV lenses but don't like them enough. The 35/1.7 is the only exception. I would probably choose any of the ZM options over the CV counterpart. However, I would love to try the M-mount 40/1.2.



Nov 11, 2017 at 12:01 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #19 · p.31 #19 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


Gary Clennan wrote:
You are saying that most Leica users only have 1-2 lenses? No idea where you saw that but it is likely BS. My "guess" (perhaps wrong) is around 5-6 lenses on average. I have my three main lenses (28/35/50) and then some other niche type lenses to supplement. I like the CV lenses but don't like them enough. The 35/1.7 is the only exception. I would probably choose any of the ZM options over the CV counterpart. However, I would love to try the M-mount 40/1.2.


it was a cross branded survey i saw linked on one of the leica centric forums. it was a few years ago, but i thought it was an interesting result so it stuck in my mind. just looking at the users here, dpi, and rff seems to bear that out though. there seems to be a lot less people interested in "full lens coverage" shooting rangefinders, and more people that pick one or two focal lengths and focus on that than in the dslr or sony world.




Nov 11, 2017 at 01:26 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #20 · p.31 #20 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton


In complete darkness, wide-open:







Nov 11, 2017 at 04:26 AM
1       2       3              30      
31
       32              37       38       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              30      
31
       32              37       38       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password