New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              28      
       30              38       39       end

FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Dooley

Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #1 · p.29 #1 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I do have a hard time taking this lens of my mind, especially now that I started looking at what the alternatives would be.

I want an 'all-purpose' prime lens for the A7 - with a preference for manual focus, and it has to be native and compact. Out of the high apertures options, I count only 3 with these requirements, the Loxia 35, Loxia 50 and Voigtländer 40 1.2.

Now the thing is - I do not like the bokeh of the Loxias, and they are not my preferred focal length (too wide or too narrow). However they help me look at the Voigtländer under a different light: What if I look at it as an ideal FL for me (40mm), good performance at f2.0 and the extra bonus of going at 1.2 when I feel like it.

A couple of questions that would possibly help me in my decision:
- Regarding purple fringing, how much cleaner does it get on the Voigtländer starting from f2.0? How does it compare to the Loxias?
- At f1.4 - how does it compare (again, in terms of fringing) to the ZA 35 1.4?

I am no pixel fanatic, so the sharpness bonus of the Loxia would not sell me over a 40mm with the possibility to get a dreamy bokeh. I am just curious on how the fringing compares between these lenses at f2.0 for a fair comparison.

Thanks!

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:15 PM
sebbe
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #2 · p.29 #2 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

GMPhotography wrote:
Btw this lens has become my lens cap lens. It’s just fun. Lol

Same here.

Hmm... I'm not sure if I was using the right terms, as my camera is set to german. I changed it now to english and repeat here my settings with the correct terms (but still with my mediocre english ).

I prefer the "MF assist" on. Because it's easy for me to press and hold C3 if I don't need the magnifier. C3 is set to "shot. result preview" as my "Live View Display Effect Settings" are turned off. Or just hit once C3 if I want to close magnification to see the whole frame again. And I can still press "focus settings*" (set on my a7RII when I push the wheel to the right) to get the magnifier frame and position it before I automatically zoom in when turning the focus ring.

*focus settings works like "focus magnifier" if "focus mode" is set to MF. Therefore there is no need to set "focus magnifier" on a separate button. No matter if you work with "MF assist" on or off.

Guy, it looks like we are different about the "MF assist" feature. I think both ways have their pros and cons. It's good we can choose.

Edited on Nov 06, 2017 at 06:31 PM · View previous versions

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:23 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.29 #3 · p.29 #3 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Ill have a camera in hand this week. Have to try a few things on the A7rII

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:25 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.29 #4 · p.29 #4 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Just got a email from camera quest

Voigtlander Leica M 40mm f/1.2 Nokton
Just announced!

The M mount version 40mm f/1.2 is expected to arrive this year!

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:35 PM
sebbe
• •
p.29 #5 · p.29 #5 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I had much fun the last days with shooting friends and family with that lens. The use of f1.2 in low light with nice blur in the background and the characteristic contrast/colors of the lens itself is very special. But the lens shines in the daylight too. In my oppinion the RAW files are very robust to contrast and saturation sliders. Therefore you can easily bring out structure and colors on very boring daylights.

Here is an example to illustrate what I mean. I pushed the contrast/saturation over the point I normally would but it still looks nice to me.

Before (C1 with exposure correction only)

ILCE-7RM2    Voigtlander NOKTON 40mm F1.2 Aspherical lens    40mm    f/6.3    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

After (PS processed)

ILCE-7RM2    40mm    f/6.3    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:44 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.29 #6 · p.29 #6 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

ytwong wrote:
Just got myself both 40/1.2 AND 65/2 APO over the weekend. I don't really need the 65 (I have Nikon 60/2.8 micro, ZF 100/2, Mamiya 120/4) but I like its near perfect quality(yet a relatively inexpensive price). I brought them together and saved a tiny little bit.

I think I should consider to block FM in my router and in DNS settings.

The dealer (a long time major VC distributor here) said VC is seeking dealers opinions on wide angles and might resurrect some older APO-Lanthar designs.

jhinkey wrote:
Please resurrect the 180/4 and 125/2.5 APO Lanthars . . . .
and a modern updated optical design for the 35/1.7 (fix the field curvature).

Er, I think you mean they should make a Sony-optimized version (or perhaps more accurately, a thick sensor stack version) of the 35/1.7. Field curvature isn't a major concern when used on the system for which it was originally made...

Nov 06, 2017 at 08:04 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.29 #7 · p.29 #7 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

rscheffler wrote:
Er, I think you mean they should make a Sony-optimized version (or perhaps more accurately, a thick sensor stack version) of the 35/1.7. Field curvature isn't a major concern when used on the system for which it was originally made...

Yeah for Sony and their thick sensor stack - who cares about using this on a Leica camera who are vast minority of users for sure.

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:56 PM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.29 #8 · p.29 #8 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Rob L wrote:
Juha Kannisto WROTE: You can move the magnification box anywhere in the frame before going to magnified view if you are not using auto-magnification and there's no need to recompose (change the framing) after focusing that way.

With my A9 I don't use auto-magnification but I have configured the joystick press to bring up the magnification frame, which I then move to the desired position with the joystick and press the joystick again to go to magnified view at the selected area. Sometimes you can focus with peaking alone though, depends on subject.

Thank you Juha! you answered my question from
...Show more

Thanks! While in the magnification frame placement view, it's the thrash can button that will bring the frame back to center. I don't actually use that much as I rarely want to focus on something that is at dead center. When I re-enter the magnification frame placement view, it starts of from the location where I put the frame last time (unless the camera has been turned off/on in the meanwhile) and I just usually move it from there with the joystick to any new location as it moves pretty fast in the first level of magnification ON A9.

With AF lenses I get the same behavior with the joystick, it brings on the magnification placement selection view just the same (in AF as well as MF modes). I like it that AF can be used in magnified view too with the focus point selector (I think the older models like my A7II and A7r don't have that functionality but the A9 and my wife's A6300 do).

In certain AF modes that include control of AF placement the joystick can still be used for moving around the focus point too with the same setup without changing any settings in-between.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:55 AM
Dooley

p.29 #9 · p.29 #9 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Sorry to be that guy, any person to help me understand if the purple fringing get better at f2, and by how much? Would one still have to be quite careful at f2 with this lens regarding PF? Starting from which aperture does it clean up significantly? Is there any chance one could share a few example images at different apertures?

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:56 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.29 #10 · p.29 #10 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Thanks! While in the magnification frame placement view, it's the thrash can button that will bring the frame back to center. I don't actually use that much as I rarely want to focus on something that is at dead center. When I re-enter the magnification frame placement view, it starts of from the location where I put the frame last time (unless the camera has been turned off/on in the meanwhile) and I just usually move it from there with the joystick to any new location as it moves pretty fast in the first level of magnification ON A9.

With
...Show more

It works in AF-S mode not AF-C

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jonas B
• • • •
p.29 #11 · p.29 #11 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Dooley wrote:
Sorry to be that guy, any person to help me understand if the purple fringing get better at f2, and by how much? Would one still have to be quite careful at f2 with this lens regarding PF? Starting from which aperture does it clean up significantly? Is there any chance one could share a few example images at different apertures?

I might have a series of images, or I can try to get you something you need but that I acn't do until the coming weekend. Maybe somebody else comes to rescue.
What is the subject you have in mind? Would trees and twigs against a blue sky do? Or are you looking for a B&W target in intense light? Or does it have to be some shine chrome metal in the sunshine?

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:35 PM
Dooley

p.29 #12 · p.29 #12 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the response. I have no specific subject in mind, but I do find it difficult from individual pictures to realize how quickly the fringing improves as the lens is closed down. The extreme example with the trees in the review were shot at f1.2, one carnival example shows signs of fringing at f1.4 (chains on the carousel) but already improves, was wondering how the situation is at f2.0.

The B&W examples would not bother me as much. Trees against the sky and chrome metal are more situations that may be an issue on my side.

Still trying to understand if and how much the situation improves at f2.0 for challenging contrast situations.

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:55 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.29 #13 · p.29 #13 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Dooley, I looked around but have deleted nearly all of the initial test images I have taken with the CV40/1.2. By mistake I still have one series only and it's poorly performed.

No tripod, raw, everything set to flat or zero including the sharpening in Adobe Camera Raw, 100% crops, A7R MkII.

Unfortunately blue sky. I'll try to find some darker twigs and overcast weather for you coming weekend. And perhaps some high contrast stuff as well.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:07 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.29 #14 · p.29 #14 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Dooley wrote:
Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the response. I have no specific subject in mind, but I do find it difficult from individual pictures to realize how quickly the fringing improves as the lens is closed down. The extreme example with the trees in the review were shot at f1.2, one carnival example shows signs of fringing at f1.4 (chains on the carousel) but already improves, was wondering how the situation is at f2.0.

The B&W examples would not bother me as much. Trees against the sky and chrome metal are more situations that may be an issue on my side.

Still trying to
...Show more

there is a good comparison of this in David's review on phillipreeve.net, no chrome reflections, but tree branches. looks like it cleans up a lot by f/2.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:15 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.29 #15 · p.29 #15 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

sebboh wrote:
there is a good comparison of this in David's review on phillipreeve.net, no chrome reflections, but tree branches. looks like it cleans up a lot by f/2.

Yes, of course, it should already be available. I forgot about those images. Thank you.
Yes, f/2 helps a lot but not completely. Not a problem though, this is after all 100% crops.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:16 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.29 #16 · p.29 #16 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Here is another series, found on a memory card I forgot. Also not ideal but it can give you an idea about how the lens works together with the A7R MkII:

Sloppily focused and from the other side of the street, again 100% crops.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:56 PM
Dooley

p.29 #17 · p.29 #17 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Very helpful! Thanks so much!

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:59 PM
backslashhh

p.29 #18 · p.29 #18 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

I really like this lens also for family action shots.

Edited on Nov 19, 2017 at 10:44 AM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:36 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.29 #19 · p.29 #19 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

The PF cleans up nicely just at f/1.7 and looks great at f/2.

It's an f/2 lens capable of f/1.2 when you need it . . .

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:44 PM
Dooley

p.29 #20 · p.29 #20 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Well I believe I can see some severe fringing on the chain. Was it taken at f1.2?

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:53 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password