1       2       3              10      
       12              38       39       end

FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

jhinkey wrote:
Oh, I don't know about excessively high price for the E-mount market - if Zeiss can charge $2K for the 135/2.8 Batis, why not $2K for a very well correctly 40/1.2? Maybe this isn't possible for $2K and it's really in Leica fast prime territory for price . . . but I'd find a way to pay $2K for this lens if it was really sharp wide open in the middle third of the frame, had a little less bokeh goodness, had no onion rings, and was still very sharp at f/5.6 across the frame. I might just be dreaming
...Show more

Zeiss can charge $2k for the Batis 135mm but it's not like this lens is flying off the shelves...I'm sure Cosina is aware there is a cap on how much they can charge for a lens and they design accordingly. Sony and Leica are different markets.

I think to design a well-corrected 40mm f/1.2 at similar size, would required a lot of special glass and very tight production tolerance to avoid high variance for an extreme optical design. Leica gets away with it because it can charge more and it produces lenses with low variance and very high quality control.

My point was that even if this was possible and we stayed within the $2-3k price range, overall rendering could actually deteriorate with a better corrected lens. It may lose its look and character which are in my opinion is a CV 40/1.2 strength and why Cosina succeeded with this lens in my opinion.

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:24 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

DavidBM wrote:
One of the striking things about this lens that I didn't expect really is the effect of the f1.2 on exposure.

Generally I say "you don't buy a fast lens for light gathering these days, you buy if for the DOF effects" and that's often true.

But because this lens is usable at f1.2, and looks no nice for portrait stuff at night at f1.2, you really do end up close to base ISO wandering around handheld in the city at night, which makes an old film user like me a bit giddy. And in mixed city light (or social photos in
...Show more

I noticed that too. Shooting in low light at f/1.2 allows one to keep ISO at 200 or 400 which yields much cleaner files with higher dynamic range. That makes a different in post-processing.

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:40 AM
virtualrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, at CENTER, the CV 40/1.2 is already outstanding at f/1.7 (same level as the CV 35/1.7) and way better than the Loxia 35 wide open. What I meant by "f/4.5 being optimum" was for resolution across the entire image field combined with FC masking.

Any chance we can get some comparison shots with the FE 55? I would love to see shots with both wide open and then at f/1.8 on both with something like the life guard jeep or people shots... medium distance with some background blur in low light. Not asking for much am I?

Oct 19, 2017 at 06:39 AM
sebbe
• •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Picked mine after work and had to cycle up the hill to get the last sunrays of the day. It looks like a good copy and makes fun!
Thanks again for the helpful reviews.

ILCE-7RM2    40mm    f/3.5    1/400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    40mm    f/1.2    1/500s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    40mm    f/2.8    1/80s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    40mm    f/2.8    1/100s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Oct 19, 2017 at 09:14 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Got mine! Less than a day from the UK (via Germany) to Stockholm is pretty darn fast.
It's smaller than I expected, but kind of dense. Feels very nice on the a7II.

Oct 19, 2017 at 09:20 AM
soarfm

p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Gosh. Two new lenses in a week. First the APO Lanthar. Yes, it really is about perfect from wide open. Long ago I had the Sony 55 1.8 and I just didnít like the rendering, clinically sharp, just a bit too clinical and ďcrunchyĒ for my liking, Replaced that with a 50 Loxia, quite happy with that.Now the Voigtlander for a touch more reach and near flawless optical characteristics.

Iíve had a CV 35 1.2 II since my M9 days and repurposed it with an adapter for the A7RII. But it was just a bit nose heavy for a walk around 35, but I absolutely love the character/drawing of that lens.

The 40 arrives today.... Iím praying and hoping and betting it has the character of the CV35, warts and all...

Thanks everyone for the review and all the samples.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:53 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

B&H now says not available and they had it for today in stock

I was going to buy one today but need to sell my CV 35 1.7 plus PCX 5000 listed on the B&S now. Someone needs to grab it before I change my mind . I might be being really stupid here buying this 40

Oct 19, 2017 at 01:00 PM
Geoff CB
• •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

davewolfs wrote:
Just some quick interior shots. Half body

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4446/37715771471_96da1ee147_c.jpgUntitled by Dave - FM, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4451/37683831512_e385d5d639_c.jpgUntitled by Dave - FM, on Flickr

S***. This is my preferred subject distance and this lens seems to SING at it. My 40mm f2 and 58mm f1.4 might be up for sale.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

A VM (Leica) version is coming!
http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/english/e-vm-mount/vm40mm1_2.html

Looks like a version optimized for the thinner sensor stack.

It has a 52mm filter thread and focuses down to 0.5m. In comparison the E-mount version has a 58mm filter thread and has MFD of 0.35m.

The VM version will be 100g lighter and they seem to share the optical design.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:27 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:

Interesting they switched to curved blades for the M version, but I actually think that makes sense as it will probably be used for portraits a lot more than landscapes on an M. I wonder what frame lines it will call up 35mm or 50mm neither is ideal, but I assume 35mm.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Juha Kannisto
• •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

BastianK was correct about the VM version then. In Japan the MRSP of the VM version is 120K yen vs. 135K for E-mount but apparently there's no hood with the VM and accessory hood has MRSP of 12K so they'll be pretty close.

Looks like it is the same optional hood LH-08 that 35/1.2 II has.

Edited on Oct 19, 2017 at 03:39 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:34 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:

Will the Leica version be a bit more compromised optically being a 52mm thread instead of 58mm? Or is it not enough to matter? The advantage of the Leica Mount is TAP. Of course then there is the question as to whether the lenses are differently optimized for the different sensor stacks....

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:35 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Luvwine wrote:
Will the Leica version be a bit more compromised optically being a 52mm thread instead of 58mm? Or is it not enough to matter? The advantage of the Leica Mount is TAP. Of course then there is the question as to whether the lenses are differently optimized for the different sensor stacks....

It may not perform optimally on the Sony sensor. On top of that you lose EXIF, auto-magnification, auto-IBIS and the de-clicking feature. With TAP, it will weight 450g.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:39 PM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Luvwine wrote:

The English text says it's optimized for both film and digital so I guess the digital will be something with a thin sensor cover like Leica.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:43 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Steve Spencer wrote:
Interesting they switched to curved blades for the M version, but I actually think that makes sense as it will probably be used for portraits a lot more than landscapes on an M. I wonder what frame lines it will call up 35mm or 50mm neither is ideal, but I assume 35mm.

Steve,
Where did you read about that. This would basically deteriorate sunstar rendering in exchange for rounder specular highlights stepped down.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:43 PM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

The Japanese version talks more about the aperture blades:
http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/vm-mount/vm-40mm1_2/index.html
Auto-translation:
A beautiful blurred
telescope with 10 diaphragm blades Adopting a 10 aperture diaphragm in order to make a hole shaped like a circle close to a circle. The out focus part is a natural depiction, the point light source etc is also not a polygon but a round and soft blur.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Juha Kannisto wrote:
The Japanese version talks more about the aperture blades:
http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/vm-mount/vm-40mm1_2/index.html
Auto-translation:
A beautiful blurred
telescope with 10 diaphragm blades Adopting a 10 aperture diaphragm in order to make a hole shaped like a circle close to a circle. The out focus part is a natural depiction, the point light source etc is also not a polygon but a round and soft blur.

Thanks! I can understand a little better with this link.

Very interesting they changed the aperture blade shape. I would not like that at all but I'm sure others will.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:48 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
Steve,
Where did you read about that. This would basically deteriorate sunstar rendering in exchange for rounder specular highlights stepped down.

It was in the link you posted. Specifically they said:

10-blade circular aperture diaphragm for beautiful bokeh

I assumed that meant curved blades, but perhaps I was over interpreting.

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Steve Spencer wrote:
It was in the link you posted. Specifically they said:

10-blade circular aperture diaphragm for beautiful bokeh

I assumed that meant curved blades, but perhaps I was over interpreting.

No, you were right. I overlooked the 'circular' word as it's unusual for Cosina.

The translated Japanese version reads:

"Beautiful blur taste with 10 diaphragm blades. In order to make the hole in which the diaphragm blades form a circle, we adopted a 10 aperture diaphragm.
The out focus part is a natural depiction, the point light source etc is also not a polygon but a round and soft blur."

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:52 PM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · FM Review of the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks! I can understand a little better with this link.

Very interesting they changed the aperture blade shape. I would not like that at all but I'm sure others will.

I'm also happier with the straight blades we got Sunstars for the win!

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:53 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password