1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2017 · Camera for Hiking

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Camera for Hiking

jay w wrote:
If my Wisner 4x5, 110, 150 and 210 and tripod weren't so heavy, yes. I love shooting that thing.

I do have one friend who still carries his 4x5 into the field. Though he also carries a full frame DSLR. Does most of the work with the latter, but maybe once a day does the former.

One other LF guy and his wife, known for their beautiful BW work, downsizes to MF film in the backcountry.

On the other hand, every other LF photographer I know — a few of whom go back to the Ansel days — have moved to digital now. One more, who was shooting MF film on our trips until this year, showed up in August with a Sony A7rII system.

I know that some folks are OK carrying huge amounts of gear into the backcountry. I once met the second person I alluded to above in the Yosemite backcountry and he and his wife were each carrying 32 pounds of camera gear! I have been known to carry between 15 and 20 pounds.

I've also been known to work with a single body and one lens... ;-)

Oct 17, 2017 at 01:49 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Camera for Hiking

Herb wrote:
I would ditch the tripod and one of the lens.....as well as that ball head. I would go for something like this http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Pocket-Pod-Packages?quantity=1&custcol34=2 Or I would take a bean bag and set my camera on a rock sitting on that......

Whoa. That is awesome. I want one of those. I even have an extra BH25 floating around to install to this.

I would get one of these (and ditch the BH55! Ouch!) and all your filters aside from a CPL and a 6 or 10 stop ND. That, along with a 5D4, 16-35, and 70-200 f/4, should be manageable. I've taken a Nikon D800 with a 16-35 f/4 or 14-24 f/.8 and 70-300 on long back-country backpacking trips without much trouble.

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:57 PM
jay w
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Camera for Hiking

Off topic, but here's one with the 4x5 from Iceberg Lake in Glacier. That's about as far into the backcounty as I got with the 4x5. (5 miles in, 1000 feet up.)

https://s1.postimg.org/10ru3h3u27/Iceberg_Lake_2_8bit_600x800_4.jpg

Oct 18, 2017 at 05:56 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Camera for Hiking

mikeinctown wrote:
To me it would depend on the definition of hiking.

Are you trekking into a spot where you know there will be good photo opportunities? if so then get a more comfortable backpack and camera strap/holster and keep the same gear.

If hiking just means hitting a trail and taking photos of something you might come across, then get a mirrorless setup, and if it is a Canon then get a couple EF-M lenses and call it a day. They are light, small, and take some really nice photos.

true, some people 'hike' from their car to the overlook for a scenic photo op. Others hike on mountain trails for miles which requires more endurance

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Oct 19, 2017 at 04:25 AM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Camera for Hiking

Thanks for all the responses y'all!!

My definition of hiking thus far has been usually day hikes with no camping overnight, most of which are real hikes (versus parking my car and looking out at a scenic vista). I don't hike for many miles (longest has been 11 miles in one day) but the weight is felt as the day progresses.

I think I'm gonna try using my m5, and the 22 and 11-22 eos-m lenses, since I already own this gear. I'll look to bring the filters since it's not that bad and my Gitzo series 2 traveler tripod. But I need to swap out my ball head (bh-55) to something much lighter, like the bh-30 or bh-40. Gotta compare the two.

Oct 19, 2017 at 05:24 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Camera for Hiking

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Thanks for all the responses y'all!!

My definition of hiking thus far has been usually day hikes with no camping overnight, most of which are real hikes (versus parking my car and looking out at a scenic vista). I don't hike for many miles (longest has been 11 miles in one day) but the weight is felt as the day progresses.

I think I'm gonna try using my m5, and the 22 and 11-22 eos-m lenses, since I already own this gear. I'll look to bring the filters since it's not that bad and my Gitzo series 2 traveler tripod. But I
...Show more

OK, for real hiking those little telescoping $10 tripods work .... if you are careful
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Oct 20, 2017 at 05:42 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Camera for Hiking

If I am on rolling terrain, few hours in the woods, I tend to take a full frame and 24-70. If wildlife is possible I take a 200 prime also. Inevitably, when I take it, the forest is devoid of living creatures as if they can sense the presence of it in my bag. On day's when I leave it at home, some sort of majestic creature will materialize.

For moderate climbs, I have found that the simplicity of only carrying my 40mm pancake lens makes the experience more enjoyable because although still a full frame setup, it takes up minimum space in my pack, limits me to one focal length fairly close to what I see normally and lightens the load a lot.

I have gotten over my "fear of missing out" and not having the perfect lens and it makes for a better experience.

I have also rented a Ricoh GR and would consider similar for very strenuous climbing as it can be easily operated with one hand and has the "snap mode".

Oct 20, 2017 at 06:06 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Camera for Hiking

How about a 4x5 Linhof Technika, 75/150 and 300mm lenses. 10 film holders, box of extra film & a changing bag?

Tripod, cable release, jacket for dark cloth or dark cloth that can also be used as a blanket/wind block.

Photographers have been hauling gear like this for decades.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:17 AM
alexdi
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Camera for Hiking

I'd approach this with a focus on differentiating needs and wants. You need image quality, low weight, and the right focal lengths. You don't need a body that feels nice, weather sealing, a large viewfinder, high framerates, or any of a hundred other features.

So what system has maximum image quality in a small package with quality lenses?

Nothing full-frame. There are no light full-frame bodies and few light full-frame lenses worth mounting.
Nothing Canon if you care about dynamic range.
Nothing M4/3s. You get a much inferior file for little, if any aggregate weight benefit over APS-C.
Probably nothing Sony. Their APS-C lens lineup is mediocre.

For the trips I take that tend to have 50 miles or more of backcountry hiking, I bought a Fuji X-T1. Building a kit today, it'd be between the X-T20 and Nikon's D3400. Both have stellar image quality and great (Fuji) or good (Nikon) lightweight lenses. The Nikon's inferior usability is offset by better battery life.

I do think it's worth carrying a tripod, just not the studio models certain vocal professionals seem to think are the minimum standard. I have a Dolica TX570B150SL. It's small, durable, stable for long exposures, and weighs about 2.5 lbs. A few carbon models slip just under 2 pounds.

https://www.adorama.com/sibsrt025x.html

That would be ideal.

Oct 21, 2017 at 07:21 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Camera for Hiking

Thanks for the xt20 recommendation. Looking into it and the newly announced xe3

alexdi wrote:
I'd approach this with a focus on differentiating needs and wants. You need image quality, low weight, and the right focal lengths. You don't need a body that feels nice, weather sealing, a large viewfinder, high framerates, or any of a hundred other features.

So what system has maximum image quality in a small package with quality lenses?

Nothing full-frame. There are no light full-frame bodies and few light full-frame lenses worth mounting.
Nothing Canon if you care about dynamic range.
Nothing M4/3s. You get a much inferior file for little, if any aggregate weight benefit over APS-C.
Probably nothing Sony. Their APS-C
...Show more

Oct 21, 2017 at 07:48 PM
Nayber

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Camera for Hiking

Bring trail mix to use in place of "tripod", enjoy "tripod" on way back to car.

Nov 01, 2017 at 08:36 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.