New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

Jonathan Brady
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

I always take Maya outside for test shots when I first get a lens or camera. She's really great at just sitting there as long as I want her to and for the most part, she'll look right at me (unless the sun is blinding her) which allows me to put a focus box right on her eyeball and check for sharpness of whatever I'm testing. In this case, I was more interested in how the background would render between t/5.6-8 so I didn't try and force her to look directly at me as the sun was over my left shoulder.

I did my best to rotate the aperture ring and fire off a shot, as quickly as possible to try and maintain my (handheld) framing and get all the shots before Maya moved too far. This is a comparison of (roughly) the same image at t/5.6, 6.3, 7.1, and 8. I was going to go to 11 as well, but she shifted pretty significantly which would throw off the focus point.

These have been converted in LR with only my import preset (+10 vibrance, sharpening, a decrease in the color NR from the default of +25 to +15, and that's it - actually, the preset includes adding a slight vignette but I removed it before converting).

Here are the files for you to DL if you wish...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ZZcKepOp4gclpWdnAwR0l0RjA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ZZcKepOp4gYVVsNTVSaHZscG8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ZZcKepOp4gdzRnb1dELTQ1VUU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ZZcKepOp4gNnVSNThZaHVobHc

I'll be assisting at a wedding this weekend and I'm hoping I get a chance to use this. If I do, I'll share the images with y'all.

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:04 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

gif file from those 4 images. 1500 pixels wide... 5.6, 6.3, 7.1, then 8, repeats forever

animated by Jonathan Brady, on Flickr

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:42 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

To me, this shows that the biggest jump in OOF areas is from t/5.6 to 6.3. From 6.3 to 7.1 and from 7.1 to 8 aren't too drastic. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that from 6.3 to 8 (2/3 stop) is less noticeable than from 5.6 to 6.3 (1/3 stop).
I'm honestly not sure if that's just normal, as I've never looked at things like this before, in this way, or if it has anything to do with the STF tech.

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:44 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

Interesting OOF changes. Thanks Jonathan.
I wonder how the FE 90/2.8 would behave?

K-H.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:15 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

Good question. Wish I had it! I do have the Batis 85 and may put them side by side and see

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:18 AM
mogul
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

Cool way of showing the differences

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:43 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

Jonathan Brady wrote:
gif file from those 4 images. 1500 pixels wide... 5.6, 6.3, 7.1, then 8, repeats forever

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4502/37622454052_bfe8cf0497_o.gifanimated by Jonathan Brady, on Flickr

Very creative to display this as a gif animation.
It shows very nice smooth OOF rendering.

Oct 12, 2017 at 02:47 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

Fred Miranda wrote:
Very creative to display this as a gif animation.
It shows very nice smooth OOF rendering.

It's funny, I find myself flipping from one image to another either in LR (slow rendering with raw) or with Windows Photo Viewer (if jpg) and it just made sense to have something do it automatically.

And yeah, I REALLY like the rendering. I know it's not what some people like, but it looks SO natural to me. And by natural I mean what I see with my eyes. I realize it looks artificial compared to what we're USED to seeing from most lenses but to me, THAT looks unnatural.

This may end up being my go-to lens for outdoor portraiture. It's certainly SHARP (holy cow is it sharp! Just DL one of those images I linked in the first post and check it out)

Oct 13, 2017 at 06:40 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

It is a great lens. It is very useful for portraits and quasi-macro like flowers, works well with a close up filter, makes a terrific landscape 100mm lens, and is extremely well corrected. Only drawback is light transmission. Bokeh is unbeatable though also unusual.

Oct 13, 2017 at 08:04 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

The STF magic is at full aperture, and immediately diminishes with successive T-stops. Performance is magnificent at all apertures, but finding suitable subjects and distances that accommodate an f/4 effective DOF is the real challenge. Fortunately, it's a challenge I can live with!

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:05 PM
umsl12
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

I've been looking for a used copy of this lens but I never saw it in FS. People don't like/don't buy it or they just love it so much that they don't want to sell ?

Oct 14, 2017 at 08:42 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 4 test shots from the 100 STF

I found mine languishing on the DPR used forums. Had been there 2 months.

Oct 14, 2017 at 08:54 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.