23mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.2

They can share filters and also the very cool square aftermarket lens hood

Great combo of 2 of Fuji’s finest fast primes

Oct 12, 2017 at 04:36 PM
shinyobject

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lens dilemma: 23mm 1.4 + 50mm f2 vs 23mm f2 + 56mm 1.2

danh920 wrote:
New Fuji user here coming from Nikon so sorry to ask a slightly ot ? here, but why is the 50mm f2 so much more expensive than a 50mm fx lens (like the 1.8g for example).

I think the best way to compare Fuji’s prime lenses is with Leica, not Canon or Nikon. Canon or Nikon have relatively cheap 50/1.8 lenses which are not designed to be the best in their lineups, even when they are perfectly functional. Fuji’s 50/2 goes head-to-head with other Fuji lenses like the 56/1.2 and 90/2 for sharpness, according to Lenstip etc., and you pay for that level of quality. Think summicron more than ‘nifty fifty’.

Oct 12, 2017 at 04:51 PM
eninety
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lens dilemma: 23mm 1.4 + 50mm f2 vs 23mm f2 + 56mm 1.2

millsart wrote:
23mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.2

They can share filters and also the very cool square aftermarket lens hood

Great combo of 2 of Fuji’s finest fast primes

i wish i had the funds - even "downgraded" my body purchase to an x-e2s (got it for the same price as an x-e2)

Oct 12, 2017 at 05:53 PM
ediblestarfish

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lens dilemma: 23mm 1.4 + 50mm f2 vs 23mm f2 + 56mm 1.2

Well, there should be a sale on Fuji X stuff starting the 15th in a few days. See if things drop enough to get what you like--also used prices might drop even more with the sale supposedly running until January.

Oct 12, 2017 at 07:13 PM
jecottrell
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lens dilemma: 23mm 1.4 + 50mm f2 vs 23mm f2 + 56mm 1.2

eninety wrote:
i wish i had the funds - even "downgraded" my body purchase to an x-e2s (got it for the same price as an x-e2)

Are you budgeting to buy new, or here on FM?

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:04 PM
eninety
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lens dilemma: 23mm 1.4 + 50mm f2 vs 23mm f2 + 56mm 1.2

used prices off FM... actually bought x-e2s kit on Amazon for $630

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Wan
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lens dilemma: 23mm 1.4 + 50mm f2 vs 23mm f2 + 56mm 1.2

I would get the 23 f2 and the 50 f2 over their faster counterparts. I put my money where my mouth is because I had both those faster lens and replaced them with the f2's. They are just overall better lenses.

Oct 13, 2017 at 03:14 AM
spoupard
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lens dilemma: 23mm 1.4 + 50mm f2 vs 23mm f2 + 56mm 1.2

gdanmitchell wrote:
Yes... and no.

Yes:

If you always shoot wide open on your full frame camera, at the same aperture on the Fujifilm 1.5x cropped sensor cameras you won't get quite as much background blur from a lens with equivalent angle-of-view coverage at the same aperture.

No:

Most people don't generally shoot at their largest aperture most of the time. So, if particular control over the background blur is an issue — e.g. you wish to duplicate the DOF and OOF that you get from full frame at some particular aperture — you'll just open up a bit on the cropped sensor camera.

In fact,
...Show more

This is dead on. I'll expand on one thing that Dan touched on above, though. Everyone seems to focus on (no pun intended) focal length and f-stop of the lens. There are two more things that people often seem to ignore: camera to subject distance and subject to background distance. For greatest isolation, camera to subject distance should be minimized and subject to background distance should be maximized. This will allow you to get subject isolation without having to use paper-thin DOF.

I, personally, have never understood why anyone would want to shoot a portrait with extremely shallow DOF from a close distance. I don't like the "one eye in focus, one eye out of focus" look. Except in very rare instances, a portrait always looks better when the entire face is in focus. Of course, that's just me. I know others disagree with me, and that's okay.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:21 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lens dilemma: 23mm 1.4 + 50mm f2 vs 23mm f2 + 56mm 1.2

eninety wrote:
I just feel like I'm missing some magic with the 56mm 1.2

Lenses are not magical.

Photographs can be. :-)

spoupard wrote:
I, personally, have never understood why anyone would want to shoot a portrait with extremely shallow DOF from a close distance. I don't like the "one eye in focus, one eye out of focus" look. Except in very rare instances, a portrait always looks better when the entire face is in focus.

The notion that good portrait photography requires one to shoot wide open on the largest aperture lens available is one of those bits of common knowledge this is usuallly dead wrong.

You can make a portrait that way if you want. And, as you point out, unless your subject is facing directly into the camera you'll get that one eye out of focus issue. If you don't get that, you may find the the subjects nose isn't in focus, and so on. If you want that, fine. But in most cases you don't, and you'll more likely use a slightly smaller aperture and/or use the technique you described to get separation between subject and background — a slightly longer focal length, shorter distance to subject, background further behind the subject. (Lighting and color and even the texture of the background also make a big difference.)

Dan

Oct 13, 2017 at 03:33 PM
Nick3434
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lens dilemma: 23mm 1.4 + 50mm f2 vs 23mm f2 + 56mm 1.2

I dunno, I think the 23 1.4 does a pretty solid job of doing a lot covering larger and smaller aps. I think it needs every bit of the 1.4 to render a recognizable but smoothed OOF area that a f2 can't quite do in that wide
A lens. It is environmental though, that is the point. I use this and my 14 2.8 predominantly, but I think the environment makes the photo for kids stuff and ducumentation style photography etc.

This is what to expect with the 23 at 1.4, if it is not your thing then for sure don't burn the money on it because size and all that are nothing to write home about on the 1.4.

I will try to post some 23 @ 1.4 examples. It won't obliterate a background. But I do really like the render it gives, it is a nice feel that is more a slightly melted environment than blurred one. I like it a lot. It is also pleasant surprise stopped down.

Oct 13, 2017 at 07:42 PM
Nick3434
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lens dilemma: 23mm 1.4 + 50mm f2 vs 23mm f2 + 56mm 1.2

To further example the above. At 1.4 with Fuji 23 you get this.

Camera close to subject
DSCF3773-Edit.jpg by FLA-Photog, on Flickr

Camera away for full environmental:
DSCF2753-Edit-2.jpg by FLA-Photog, on Flickr

I am biggest proponent of fast primes there is, only way to roll. However, I shoot wide open only when I feel it is right call, and am usually stopped down a little or a lot.

Oct 14, 2017 at 09:40 AM
taemo
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Lens dilemma: 23mm 1.4 + 50mm f2 vs 23mm f2 + 56mm 1.2

danh920 wrote:
New Fuji user here coming from Nikon so sorry to ask a slightly ot ? here, but why is the 50mm f2 so much more expensive than a 50mm fx lens (like the 1.8g for example).

the XF 50mm f/2 is a native Fuji lens and has AF (no need to buy FX or EF adapter), has WR, very small and one of the sharpest Fuji lenses.
also it is 75mm on the APS-C.

Steve Wan wrote:
I would get the 23 f2 and the 50 f2 over their faster counterparts. I put my money where my mouth is because I had both those faster lens and replaced them with the f2's. They are just overall better lenses.

this, with environmental portraits I prefer having the surrounding slight in focus. with the XF 18mm I was predominantly shooting it at f/5.6.
just like any WA lenses, if I wanted some blur, then I would get close to the subject and set it to f/2

the XF 50mm I find is a jack of all trade lens, it can do portrait (not as creamy as the 56mm), landscape and documentary and it is cheaper, smaller and faster AF.
I would basically walk around with the X-T2 with XF 18mm and XF 50mm on my pocket. can't do that with the 56mm.
if you shoot portraits a lot, then maybe consider the 56mm. you could also buy a legacy 50mm 1.4 lens and call it a day though (if you dont mind MF)

Oct 14, 2017 at 02:33 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password